• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Funimation Announces Panty & Stocking English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
well i say one thing to mind this will so Rrrrrrrules indeed.

yea looking cast list indeed

marchi - oh my yea so going so much fun to hear as panty
rial - stocking ok hmm got wonder it goes.
sabat - of course most of us knew it so garterbelt yea GOD MY OH

joel - hmm well did Jacuzzi so type cast
rami & clink - as demon sisters yea going to be interesting yea hearing the "rules" on them

overall with rest, series, mini ova shorts, outtakes, etc oh YES YES YES going to the whole (bleepin) show to watch just got hear dub in it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Typical casting is typical.
I expect many people will enjoy yet another Funimation level dub.

And why wouldn't they? The reason a lot of people like FUNimation dubs is because they actually sound GOOD.

Yeah, I agree, their casting is pretty typical and they use a lot of the same people. But at least those people can actually ACT. They're putting out content that's a lot better on the ears than Bang Zoom is doing recently, with their no-talent newb actors in Madoka and Squid Girl.

Did I imply anyone shouldn't enjoy how Funi cast the show or the dub?
I outright said many people will like it.

Now please lower you defensive shields.

Oh, so you're going to pretend like your condescending tone wasn't meant to be negative? Rolling Eyes Why bother being boringly snide in every possible post if you're just going to backpedal?
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
Adult Swim or bust!

*cue generic "AS hates animu!!!" response*

Panty & Stocking deserves to be on the all new Saturday Lineup on [adult swim] anyway if not second chance Funimation Channel OnDemand
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Oh, so you're going to pretend like your condescending tone wasn't meant to be negative? Rolling Eyes Why bother being boringly snide in every possible post if you're just going to backpedal?

I'm not going to lather on praise for a dub I haven't even heard. So I made an observation that I believed to be true. I was not being negative and have not backpedaled on anything.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 pm Reply with quote
From the trailer, I thought Garterbelt was as good as possible. Panty and Stocking sounded incredibly flat to me. They aren't crazy wacky like Luffy, but they aren't incredibly dull either.

ArsenicSteel wrote:
I expect many people will enjoy yet another Funimation level dub.

Gotta agree with this. I understand liking the English language but I never understood the blind faith most anime dub lovers where they will champion poor quality dubs and actually look forward to them in a non-goofy kungu movie laugh at how terrible it is type of way.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because they aren't low quality to someone's who's a biased dick?

I think you've got some Confirmation Bias going on.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Maybe it's because they aren't low quality to someone's who's a biased dick?

I agree with that. It's strange to me though.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
As I said, confirmation bias. You aren't inclined to English dubs. You therefore will tend to see the flaws of them much more closely, while a person inclined to dubs will tend to see the pros much more closely. People will notice something that supports their viewpoint much more than something which doesn't.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
As I said, confirmation bias. You aren't inclined to English dubs. You therefore will tend to see the flaws of them much more closely, while a person inclined to dubs will tend to see the pros much more closely. People will notice something that supports their viewpoint much more than something which doesn't.

I'm just comparing them to other animated things I've seen like US cartoons and animated movies. Not all dubs are bad, but there is a huge difference in quality between the average voice acting in anime dubs and the average voice acting in a US produced animated content.

I don't think that noticing the difference in quality means that you're biased or that you're not "inclined" to like English dubs.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
People will notice something that supports their viewpoint much more than something which doesn't.
= "self-serving bias"

But, coming from someone who enjoys both languages, the trick is to know what to look for, take into consideration the aims/styles of each dubbing company (Ocean Group tend to dub edgier driven series like Gundam TV-series - aim is to be distancing and have audiences look at things w/entertainment in mind and less involvment; Bang-Zoom tends to be involved more with Bandai... which they themselves relied on trendy titles that were trendy in Japan [= worked for a good while until... *cough!*M-word!*cough**cough*, and then their licensing ratio became dependent on what franchises they had left (and look where they are...)], and therefore their dubs were spirited, passionate, if very reliant on VA's that became too redundant based on...; Viz's dubbing being far too technical and good actors can only stick with conventionality to the point where they're typecasted and forever known to be that way; Funi - the most balsy and most controversial - played with their jumbly talent and personalized the anime in how America could take this (this sounds bad, but then shin-chan/ghost stories is hell if we're properly scaling everything) the way Japanese intended. Yu Yu Hakusho wouldn't be my favorite traditional shonen subbed, it took the charismatic personalizing performances of Chris S. to make Kuwabara more endearing than most of his carbon copies made today would allow. Justin Cook made Yusuke the rare mix of "likable jerk" feel so passionately empathic. Point is that Funi took their experiences of personalizing and correctly filtered that across genres (Blue Gender, FMA, Mushi-Shi) so they're probably the best suited to train new talent which can only help the future of the industry.

This is all based on my experience and how it feels ANN judges their dubs too (specifically Carls'). P&S couldn't have been better licensed and better dubbed out of all our surviving companies as they simply mesh into every pore Panty & Stocking flashes.
Getting back to bias, the line of quality simply changes based on your preference. I'm sure Arsenic knows his stuff enough to know Funi enough for things to get predictable enough regardless of how different some animes can be.
Heck, he's right; Monica feels too safe and her voice brings back way too many characters' faces that aren't Stocking. Marchi has a very "Clinkenbeard"-voice in that it's very assured, has mature weight in how she speaks, and is more perfect a fit for Panty the more I keep thinking about it - Panty lives and breathes vanity = Unshakeable confidence.
I dunno... Arsenic whaddya think about dub/sub vs. quality interpretation of a series? I gotta turn off my brain for a bit....
Haterater

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Stick me in the "'perfect for AS" camp. Animation and style would fit in well. Stocking has a good vibe for me and overall cast is good.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:00 am Reply with quote
Most of the appeal of the show is all the gratuitous Engrish in the original, which is obviously lost in the dub. Can't see it working out that well regardless.

Other than that, I don't like the voices all that much. Stocking doesn't sound cute enough and sounds too nasally, which is odd since I've heard Rial do voices that would be better for Stocking. And, well, Garterbelt pretty much just sounds like Vegeta. I didn't like Zoro and Elfman sounding like Piccolo, and I don't like it here either.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
I wasn't interested in this series before, but I hadn't seen any of it, so that was a shaky dismissal. This trailer has piqued my curiousity. I like it when shows get conspicuously far out of the normal aesthetic box and I like this cast. I've never heard the Japaese cast and thus have no affection and loyalty or disdain and antipathy toward it. Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial are some of my favorites and I thought that they sounded suitable. Perhaps they could've sounded a little harsher and saltier, but we've got pretty thin ground to stand on with judgements one way or another.

So far as the headache of 'dubs'n'bias', well, I've always idly dreamt of conducting an extensive experiment comparing preferences among groups for subtitled versus English dubbed version depending upon prior experience with the series, standing preferences, familiarity with anime, degree of professed affiliation with 'otaku' culture and disaffection from mainstream culture as well as perhaps a few more mundane facts like age, just to tease out what biases exist and how strong the various effects are. Nobody would be silly enough to fund that and I'm not qualified for research design like that, but it is something I enjoy wondering about. Things tend not entirely be about what people claim that they're about, so I imagine that there would be at least a few surprises lurking in just what motivates language preferences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
Where does everybody thinking [as] has any interest in this show what-so-ever come from? [as] has put on weird stuff but has never been into "vulgar for the sake of being vulgar" type shows.

Also, what's the beef over Funi casting the same people? I never see complaints over Tara Strong or Tom Kenny popping up in almost every CN or Nick show on television.
notazaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Stocking doesn't sound cute enough and sounds too nasally, which is odd since I've heard Rial do voices that would be better for Stocking.

Monica Rial has done cuter voices than this but here I think they are going for some combination of deadpan and sassy which she does well too. Anyway the trailer sounds fine and I'm kinda looking forward to this.
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Where does everybody thinking [as] has any interest in this show what-so-ever come from? [as] has put on weird stuff but has never been into "vulgar for the sake of being vulgar" type shows.

What?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7