• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twilight Director Hardwicke Hints at Anime Version

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i cast fira

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
EEEW.
Twilight is a literature plauge in my opinion. I'd rather not have it in another medium I enjoy.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
No, no, no, no, no, NO, NO, NO!

I already hate this franchise like burning. I'd rather not see any sparkly, emotionally abusive vampires and their mary sue girlfriends squirm their way into anime, thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
kefkaownsall

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Twitch

They would have to rework the entire plot line (no sparkles for example)
Let's just hope that it's a Hellsing crossover and Seres blows their heads off.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Pocky Monster wrote:
OH GOOD GOD. NOOO! PLEASE JUST NO.
The anime world doesn't need Twilight! This is just an excuse to capitalise on its popularity...

How true. I remember an article in the paper about how popular this series is and why its popular. Apparently this series is primarily for women than men. I've taken a look at Twilight and just looking at the cover makes me shake my head.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Pocky Monster wrote:
The anime world doesn't need Twilight! This is just an excuse to capitalise on its popularity...

How true. I remember an article in the paper about how popular this series is and why its popular. Apparently this series is primarily for women than men. I've taken a look at Twilight and just looking at the cover makes me shake my head.

Twilight is basically just fan-girl bait. Or an excuse to make money (no offense, Twilight fangirls who are reading this).

Oh,and another thing. If Twilight turned into an anime I would be blinded by Edward's bishie sparkles O.o *shivers*
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Pocky Monster wrote:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make in relaying its demographics, but my problem with it is the types of messages it delivers to young girls. It seems to all boil down to true happiness being to give up everything for your man, marry young and start squeezing out babies ASAP. And remember ladies, if he hurts you it's only because he loves you! It's like a Lifetime movie of the week minus a resolution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Pocky Monster wrote:

If Twilight turned into an anime I would be blinded by Edward's bishie sparkles O.o *shivers*

Well, now there's an actual reason as to why the love interest sparkles... Then again, I'm expecting a ton of CG for the "shiny" scene. No bishie sparkles in that scene. That would just be asking for a white cane and cloth.

Well, if Twilight is eventually made into an anime, I can get my Twilight-obsessed (*cough* I mean Jacob Black-obsessed) friends to watch it, then have them watch Vampire Knight, then have them watch all sorts of anime...

I guess that's one positive thing to come out of a Twilight anime... Any others?
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Nausika wrote:
I never rele did enjoy the books and never saw the movie...but I think a Twilight anime IS going too far...I mean I would think a Harry Potter anime would come out before...but thats just me cause I'm a HP fan...I probably would not waste my money on a Twilight anime

Indeed. I've no firsthand exposure to Twilight in any form, as I've heard such passionate (for lack of a better term) arguments for it on both ends of the spectrum.

I can firmly say that if/when a Harry Potter anime is put into production there's a fair chance of several things happening:

1. Fans will rejoice quite vocally across the 'net and throughout fandom hubs the world over. Some being apart of one media or the other, and some hailing from both; this can only be more of the good stuff.
2. An outpouring of negativity and slanderous nay-say will erupt with a rather cruel and close-minded mentality of "anything besides the creator's direct vision/work is an atrocity to all humankind."

If the former is the result I will be overjoyed, as I am amongst that grouping, though I suspect a fair share will still fall prey to the latter category. Wink
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I read the entire series. It's not that bad. Mediocre would be a better description, but people like to attack things that are popular, so... whatever.

Anyways, the ENTIRE time I was reading the books I was getting shojo-manga vibes, so this doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
topleka

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm Reply with quote
It seems more like joking banter rather than "Hey, I think they're making an anime."

I dislike the Twilight plot, but I have a really simple solution for dealing with the books/movie/anime: Don't read/watch/whatever them. Is it really that hard?
fuchikoma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure it would sell well, but it could never match what Master Mosquiton '99 did with similar casting... Razz
sashaisme

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The only reason I have the first book is because my cousin is a fan. I just can't seem to get into them, though... Also, my cousin isn't a teen, she's in her early 20's

But yes, an anime series is goin' pretty dern far...
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I'll just ditto anyone who said that a Harry Potter anime would be awesome. Although I'm not sure how Harry Potter and Twilight are related, other than being big pop culture hits, which is unusual in literary formats. Vampires v Wizards, romance v The Dark Lord... meh.

That said, I would love to have a faux vampire anime that would be like a cross between Azumanga Daioh and Ouran High School Host Club. They should even call it Twilight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
While I am completely against this, I wonder if they really are serious. And if they are, I wonder how exactly it was brought up in conversation. (Surely not just because of that one persons quote...) I mean, to me, its not really normal for a movie to end up as and anime or animated series, usually isn't it the other way around. (though im sure theres probably quite a few that i just don't know of) And usually, wouldn't an animated series be made first here than in Japan? I don't know, maybe it was really big there and thats why because seriously this is making no sense to me. And, if its to get a whole different audience, why an anime of all things Confused ?
nick0991

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
*bashes head against wall for 6 hours straight* Seriously?!
*bashes head against wall for 6 hours straight* If Kyoto Animation gets this and pushes back Haruhi season 2 i will personally kill each creator their cause we all know they have season 2 done and don't want to give it to us. I'd actually stop watch anime if this happens. Cause someone like FUNImation would dub it and all the already annoying Twilighters would start watching anime and... Oh god the horrors O_O...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12