• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Shakugan no Shana English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bastille

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised they picked up the movie, given that it was a botched attempt to appease fans who were annoyed with how unfaithful the anime was to the LNs. There's a reason they never made more of them. The second season is also the weakest of all the seasons, with the first 8 episodes being meaningless filler/retconning, so here's hoping it manages to do well enough for SnS F to get picked up as well.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
The American Average wrote:
sounds fine i just pray to the anime gods that Funi doesn't get new voices for Black Lagoon Roberta's blood trail.

DON'T. YOU. DARE. JOKE. WITH. THAT.
I will hunt you down if you just jinxed it. Shocked
spoiler[ I'm joking of course. ]

While I understand why they did, does it mean I'm happy? Hell no.
Does that mean I won't be buying it? Hell no......

And that's the problem, why take the risk when any fan is going to buy it anyway? And people expected any different from FUNi, after they've redone dub casts for how long now? Laughing It's not like they don't have the money to do it, they just don't care when all the money rolls in regardless, vote with your wallet if you want to get that across.

The fact that Sentai can get the dub cast back for K-ON from the west coast no problem pretty much nullifies any BS they might try and save themselves from in this case (They used to, but now they don't even say anything more, lol)

I didn't buy Badlands Rumble, and haven't bought a FUNi license since because I don't support the practice of just crapping on dub continuity, the voices are an extremely integral part of the product, just like the story, characters, etc, and if they don't care to keep it going, I won't care to buy it or support it.

We'll be lucky if they get Maryke Hendrikse back to play Revy, and I'll bet every dollar to my NAME that Dutch gets relegated to Sabat.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:

Does the original pronounce "Alastor" or "Wilhelmina" correctly? Double standard much?

I have no idea what you are talking about, Aras Tooru-san's name was always pronounced properly!
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:

And that's the problem

Wait. There's a problem there? Because I want to own shows I enjoy?

I'm not happy about the cast being replaced but at this point, I've been through shows numerous times that have had cast changes. Hell, there's a reason I have pretty much all of Ikki Tousen, despite not being a fan of MB's Dragon Destiny dub at all.

I just want to own the show because I enjoy it. Hell, I'll swap over to the Japanese track if I don't like the dub. (Can't really judge on it on a stand alone clip.)
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
The bigger problem is the ass-tastic video quality.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Pretty sure Shakugan no Shana II's native resolution is 576p (max) so anything beyond that is really a terrible upscale. Keep in mind that this is also J.C. Staff...a studio whose quality has not changed since 2005. At least 50% of what J.C. Staff still produces today is SD for its native resolution while most studios have already moved on to HD

Quote:
Does the original pronounce "Alastor" or "Wilhelmina" correctly? Double standard much?

They are pronounced properly in the Japanese dub according to the original names designated in the novels. So yes, the English dub is at a major fault here.

As I've said before, with (the latter half of) season 2 gradually getting into the thicker aspects of the plot, I'm more worried with how they will translate/interpret the original script since accuracy in terminology definition and dialogue translation will be highly sensitive to properly understanding the overarching story.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Shana was one of the shows that when I finished it in Japanese I turned around and watched it in English right away because I liked it so much. The original dub was ok. This will simply take some getting used to, no biggie. I am just so happy I will finally get my hands on the rest of this series!

Now if only Yen Press could take the novel off of Viz's hands since they aren't doing anything with it. Very Happy
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Pretty sure Shakugan no Shana II's native resolution is 576p (max) so anything beyond that is really a terrible upscale. Keep in mind that this is also J.C. Staff...a studio whose quality has not changed since 2005. At least 50% of what J.C. Staff still produces today is SD for its native resolution while most studios have already moved on to HD

The problem isn't the resolution, its what was done to it to "fix" it. I don't remember precisely what happened in this case, but it resulted in a large loss of detail in the BD video. Toradora was also an upscale but they went to great lengths to make it a nice upscale (the only problem I recall hearing of was the brightness level on white heavy or bright scenes or something). I have no idea who makes the call for how to handle the upscale or who actually does it. I don't see any reason to assume its the animation studio for either one, particularly the first.

And do you have anything to back up those other claims or are you just pulling things out of your ass to bash J.C. Staff?
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Yay! Best news I've heard all week
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

You know, when you don't know what the hell you are talking about, you should try to make it less blatantly obvious.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
JC Staff's QUALITY never ceases to amaze. They're the only studio I know of where the sequels (Shana III and ZnT F) look substantially worse than the earlier seasons animation-wise. I may pick up the second half of Shana II, but there's no way I'm buying the Fumina Konoe stuff. That was torture to wade through.
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

And do you have anything to back up those other claims or are you just pulling things out of your ass to bash J.C. Staff?

I know in the fansub scene, majority of the encoders deem most blu-rays of JC Staff shows not worthy of 1080p and only release at 720p. How they determined that? I dunno...possibly resizing tests? I think they are the only animation studio to warrant that.

Well, I just hope the DVDs that Funi is pressing does not use the BD masters. Terrible upscale+low-res+MPEG2 compression is not a great combination.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Chii85 wrote:
I don't understand why they did that, It's not that the Geneon dub was bad, but that can't they have the Ocean Group reprise the dub instead of changing that enitre main cast? I know it's cheaper to do their prouduction in house, but messing with the entire cast? I specuated that they would do it as a rare move, but nooooooo they didn't! I hope some ask this question are their Anime Revloution panel!

This IS NOT the first time a company has changed cast for an anime. Saiyuki was one of those. ADV dubbed it, then Geneon got a hold of the next two seasons. Media Blaster did it with one of their titles, they didn't think it was worth the money to bring the original VAs back to return for the roles.
Kurohei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm disappointed they couldn't get the cast back, but I'm not gunna blame you Funi. I blame all the Pirates who won't support anime. At lease the new cast is fitting.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:36 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:
I'm scared for the Black Lagoon ova and the second season of Story of Saiunkoku o.o

Say what? When did Saiunkoku get license-rescued? Shocked

...It hasn't...unless Media Blaster picked it up. Funimation let Story of Saiunkoku expire.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12