• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2010 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Honestly, first time I heard about B Gata H Kei I told myself I had to see it. And judging my Zac's review, since we more often disagree then agree, I may like this. I just hope it gets simulcasted soon or someone licenses it (I may even buy a sub-only Shocked ).

From the reviews so far from the Spring Preview Guide this look like a guilty pleasure trash series that I may enjoy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:19 pm Reply with quote
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Zac man... you just love torturing yourself during these times of the seasons huh? Also what's the deal with Tim's review on Heroman? We getting a crossover baddie?... Galactus?

Zac doesn't always torture himself. He gave a glowingly positive preview for Sengoku BASARA last Spring, for example, and was the only one out of the group to give full praise, as everyone else had some problem with it..

But, yeah, I would imagine Zac purposely looks at the synopses for all of the shows and then goes "Which one's can I rip on the most?" followed by a "Now... Which ones actually look like they'll be fun to watch?" For example, Zac's preview of Clannad After Story last year was just hilariously fun to read. If Ring ni Kakero 1: Shadow gets subbed I would love to see Zac preview that... Even if it's a negative preview I would just love to see how he felt about it.

Anyway, are you guys at ANN able to just mention if there are any shows you are all actually looking forward to previewing, or is it just going to be a secret until they are shown to all?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

But, yeah, I would imagine Zac purposely looks at the synopses for all of the shows and then goes "Which one's can I rip on the most?" followed by a "Now... Which ones actually look like they'll be fun to watch?" For example, Zac's preview of Clannad After Story last year was just hilariously fun to read. If Ring ni Kakero 1: Shadow gets subbed I would love to see Zac preview that... Even if it's a negative preview I would just love to see how he felt about it.

Anyway, are you guys at ANN able to just mention if there are any shows you are all actually looking forward to previewing, or is it just going to be a secret until they are shown to all?

Actually it's got a lot more to do with timing. I have to edit, format and post all of the previews, so my time for actually writing any is limited. Usually when I wind up reviewing something like B Gata H Kei it's because I happened to be available right then to write it when nobody else had yet turned it in. When I finally finished editing and posting everyone else's previews for Heroman, in contrast, I felt no need to review it since everyone else had already. Usually I cover whatever isn't already up in mass numbers.

As for stuff I personally want to see this season, Rainbow, Night Raid and House of Five Leaves are all on the top of my must-see list. Here's hoping at least one of them is good!
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Actually it's got a lot more to do with timing. I have to edit, format and post all of the previews, so my time for actually writing any is limited. Usually when I wind up reviewing something like B Gata H Kei it's because I happened to be available right then to write it when nobody else had yet turned it in. When I finally finished editing and posting everyone else's previews for Heroman, in contrast, I felt no need to review it since everyone else had already. Usually I cover whatever isn't already up in mass numbers.

As for stuff I personally want to see this season, Rainbow, Night Raid and House of Five Leaves are all on the top of my must-see list. Here's hoping at least one of them is good!

Looking forward to your previews. Normally they're pretty much spot-on, and good for laughs when you tear apart the bad stuff (LOVE your preview on Gata H!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:42 pm Reply with quote
From reading Tim Maughan's review of Heroman one would think he actually meant to give it a 1 or 2 (out of 5). There didn't seem to be enough praise for it compared to the somewhat blasty review. Oh well.
I watched a clip and the op and have read other reviews (Key's seemed spot-on and nicely adds to the enticement of that title), and I am looking forward to watching it.

I was one of those dedicated Marvel kids so the origins of Heroman interests me a lot. This is especially true because I like experimental and collaborative stuff like this. Interstella 5555 was a big hit with me, if you can see how that relates. And since anime doesn't always have to be mature and complex, I'm open to fun, indulging action shows like this even at my age (I'm older than Tim). That's never been a reason to not watch a show for me, so Tim I agree with the sense of novelty that comes with a show like this that can never be outgrown Smile
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I definitly don't have an interest in B Gata H Kei. Like you said Zac, it sounds really lame. I'm not watching a show about an embarrassed little slut.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
The reviews for Heroman actually make me more inclined to give it a try. Given the budget and staff, the fights should at least make it worth watching.

Zac wrote:
What about Masaaki Yuasa's upcoming anime?
dizzon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She's only after virgin boys because she's afraid her muffin doesn't look terribly tasty and is positive that only fresh fish would take the bait she has to offer down south.

This line from Hope's review of B Gata H Kei is the first spontaneous outburst of laughter I've experienced in...I can't remember how long. Please tell me you came up with that and it wasn't actual dialog from the series.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac's bio wrote:
Zac Bertschy is the executive editor of Anime News Network. He enjoys bunny rabbits and vodka.
Wait, wait, wait, wait... wait. I thought Zac was a scotch man.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:13 pm Reply with quote
dizzon wrote:
Quote:
She's only after virgin boys because she's afraid her muffin doesn't look terribly tasty and is positive that only fresh fish would take the bait she has to offer down south.

This line from Hope's review of B Gata H Kei is the first spontaneous outburst of laughter I've experienced in...I can't remember how long. Please tell me you came up with that and it wasn't actual dialog from the series.

Yeah, that's mine...I don't know whether I should be proud or ashamed of myself. =w= But laughs are good! Very Happy
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Trust me, with that comedic timing, you should feel proud.

(I want to watch episode 1 because I feel I need to at least know what I'm talking about before I hate it but I...just..don't want to...)
dizzon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
dizzon wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, that's mine...I don't know whether I should be proud or ashamed of myself. =w= But laughs are good! Very Happy

No no, don't misunderstand, I took your review quite seriously but that line specifically just caught me off guard as a very funny way to innocently describe what is an otherwise non-innocent aspect or this series. Wink
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

A. MEN. Those are on my list too! Heroman episode 1 was charming, but I really worry that it will get dull after too long.

Also, if people who are only 15 or so watch B Gata H Kei, does that make them not (as) creepy?

Oh, and Hope, kudos for calling foul on the "rape is funny/okay if it's woman on man" (because secretly we all know men can't get raped, right? Rolling Eyes ).
Mr. Gruntsworthy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Zac wrote:

A. MEN. Those are on my list too! Heroman episode 1 was charming, but I really worry that it will get dull after too long.

Also, if people who are only 15 or so watch B Gata H Kei, does that make them not (as) creepy?

Oh, and Hope, kudos for calling foul on the "rape is funny/okay if it's woman on man" (because secretly we all know men can't get raped, right? Rolling Eyes ).

Rape is funny... until you've been raped.

You know, I think that's what hell is like... getting raped by a dog.

Tonight... you.

On topic, I gave Heroman ep.1 a spin tonight. Story's not really catching my attention, but I must give it a nod to it's uniqueness (as per the Stan/Bones collaboration). I think I'll stick with it to see where it goes (plus I always end up a sucker to find out if X guy ends up with Y girl).
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
So far the descriptions of the otaku-bait shows are explaining a lot about the declining birthrate in Japan. Anime dazed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 49