• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaichō wa Maid-sama! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrionCA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I never knew anyone quite that scary but I understand Japanese schools are considerably different and the students are under a lot of pressure both to excel and conform with Japanese ideals of "proper" behavior.

The idea that a class president works as a waitress in a maid-themed restaurant doesn't seem all that odd to me. But then I knew girls in school who did just about anything part-time to make ends meet and afford school. The president of my HS senior class worked at Baskin Robins. A girl I dated in college was a straight-A Biology major but weekends worked as a stripper with a boa constrictor in her act. So as far as I'm concerned Misaki has nothing to be ashamed of: in fact she's pretty special for putting herself through all that.

Oh, and on a related note, Misaki's collapse in Ep 1 struck a chord because I was standing not too far away when a girl in HS collapsed into her boyfriend's arms. Like Misaki, her family was poor and she tried working 2 part-time jobs while going to school. She was hospitalized for a week and spent 2 months in bed recovering.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:38 pm Reply with quote
This series has been enjoyable so far, my favourite parts are mostly with Usui, I find him very funny how he can tease her with a total deadpan expression. Some of you complain that him not smiling is bad, but I really don't want to have a show that continually highlighting a guy smiling (KnT). Instead I rather enjoy him staying rather unfazed and hit her soft spots, while she struggleing with many things.

Episode 3 had some funny bits like him recomending ranger clear. And him playing with her while she was in character "spoiler[Or is is because you farted in front of me the other time?]" Smile

I guess also a strong lead female is definetly a good watch.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Great to see the show bouncing back after the not-as-good episode two. I was a little put off by all the Otaku in-jokes - Moe, Loli, Tsundere, different types of little sister - but not enough to stop enjoying what was a well-crafted episode. Misaki is strong and sympathetic, and Usui is just so freaking hilarious.

Yet another show from this season that I'll be sticking with till the end. And I wasn't even planning on watching the first episode until I saw the previews in the Spring Guide.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
Watched episode one. Not sure if I like it or not.

I think this is going to take a back seat to several other things I'm interested in right now. Since I'm working again, I can't watch like 5 shows at once anymore. Sad

The premise is interesting. But some bits of the animation bother me. I don't like how the hair is animated. I know, stupid thing to complain about. But it really bothered me. When she was standing on the roof at the end of episode one, I was like "omg that's some stiff, crappy looking, animation". It really bugged me.

I'll prolly give it my usual 4-5 episode chance though. I usually burn out on stuff by then anyways.

Don't really know what else bothered me, but I just didn't care for the main female character.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:17 am Reply with quote
Ha, the sneeze joke really got me laughing for some reason in episode 2. Fun stuff.
quikbeam1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I have to say i am loving this show. The second episode was fun, but episodes 1 and 3 i have really enjoyed. The storyline reminds me of Special A on a lot of levels, but the characters seem a lot more human than on Special A.

If you are looking for a fun romantic comedy, i would say this is definitely worth checking out.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 am Reply with quote
.... *mumbles* still watching....

I think the show is gradually improving. Aside from the sneeze joke in ep 2, I'm not rolling on the floor laughing. Everything is just kinda getting an average "ah. that's clever" or "oh. that's kinda funny." From me. Maybe that's because I'm also watching Baka to Test and it's demolishing all the other anime I found "funny" prior to watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't think you're supposed to roll on the floor from this show. Not that I laughed much at BakaTest. If it's not Fumoffu-level (and/or a particularly good reference), it doesn't really make me laugh.

I liked ep4. Usui is great (well, Misa too). I wonder what this spoiler[crossdressing shota] is going to do later... and are they ever going to go back to school? It seems that a lot of the comedy was built between the two different environments, but we seem to be forgetting the first one... Either way, so far this show firmly occupies my "pure enjoyment" slot of the season (as I don't have to follow any storyline, and I have no real complaints about it).
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4 was ok. Not as good as ep 3 in my opinion, and I was hoping to hear Aoi go spoiler[all manly/guy voice in his Lolita apparel] but oh well, I guess they can do that some other time, if at all. Not sure how I feel about Aoi becoming Misa's personal stylist. Aoi had a different approach to Misa-chan in the manga, and didn't warm up to hear nearly as much as the anime.

If next week's episode is based off what chapter I think it is, I'm not sure I'm going to like it (one of my least fave manga chapters). Maybe they'll surprise me though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was surprised about the reveal, it certainly put a twist on what I was expecting. I do wonder why Aoi is going to be a regular character; what's "she" going to do?

At least we are going to get more high-school hi-jinks next episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
I will just like to add that I enjoyed the character of Aoi being added, perhaps being a new dimension in comparing spoiler[Misaki who can be very tough near manly to Aoi who though being a boy has a big interest in cute things and can be feminine. I do wonder how it fits into Misaki who usually gets quite annoyed at boys, though seemed to really not care about Aoi's gender. I let out a big laugh at the reveal of him being a he, though I did suspect something when he blushed when he saw her changing, at least it explained why the manager was acting the way she was.]
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
Ep. 4 for me was only okay, I figured out spoiler[Aoi's deal immediately so it wasn't really a big reveal for me.] Also the ending felt a little tacked on, and that was before I read the manga and realized it wasn't part of the manga storyline.

I'm have noticed the anime skips around a lot in relation to the manga. Like Aoi doesn't show up until v.3, and now it looks like ep. 5 is going back to v.1. Also, the sister hasn't even showed up in the manga at all yet by v.3.

Needs more Usui and Misaki interaction. For me, that is really the charm and strong point of the manga. Or maybe just more Usui, because his antics with the poor vice president also totally crack me up.

One thing I do like better in the anime is that the Idiot Trio isn't drawn SD all of the time. I like them a lot, and it's nice to see them drawn "normally."
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Needs more Usui and Misaki interaction. For me, that is really the charm and strong point of the manga. Or maybe just more Usui, because his antics with the poor vice president also totally crack me up.

Mmmm, Usui. Why is Usui so boring in the anime so far? I want evil conniving smiles leading to cute moments that will have the Maid cast fainting as cries of "Moe!" leave their lips.

WHERE IS IT ANIME?!

Basically I agree.

*goes back to laughing over the first 5 seconds of the ending credits* I love fangirl crack.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:42 pm Reply with quote
To my utmost horror, I found myself warming to Usui a little bit in Episode 4. I'd long since written him off as a typical bishy but he makes a good foil to the female lead, moreso with each episode.

Was ready to drop this one, it's earned itself a stay of execution.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:14 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

*goes back to laughing over the first 5 seconds of the ending credits* I love fangirl crack.

Hahaha, I had the same reaction when I first saw the ED. I sat there watching it for a second, and then I just busted up laughing at the ridiculous awesomeness of it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11