• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds House of Five Leaves, The Tatami Galaxy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Homerun, Funimation!! I've been looking forward to both series, especially the Yuasa one. So awesome!! Thank goodness its Funi and not CR. A DVD release seems very likely now. I can wait for that (I hate streaming).

You might want to think about it, though. The more people stream it, the more Funimation will be convinced there's an audience for it and the more willing they will be to release it on DVD.

As for their player... yeah, after getting a subscription to Crunchyroll and seeing how ridiculously high quality their video can be, I have to agree that Funimation's site leaves something to be desired. Still, it's free, it's legal, and I'll put up with it.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Both these shows look horrible. They should have gotten K-ON and Angel Beats.

I have sincere doubts about about the success of any possible DVD release of House of Five Leaves and Yojou-han. While I (and obviously others here) think these are two of the more interesting titles this season, the "enlightened" view presented above is going to be pretty common.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Fletcher1991 wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Sentai will probably get Angel Beats!.

Anyways, I am looking forward to watching both of these, both seem to be interesting and the animation style is different for both.

Actually Angel Beats! would more likely go to Bandai, they got True Tears. Which is by the same studio, they also have many shows with lots of moe chara. Hell it's so much like Haruhi, which did well for them.
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:

Excuse me for not wanting to watch more of the same Moe crap churned out of Japanese Studios. Thank God Funimation has a brain to license quality shows. Though frankly Angel Beats isn't a bad show.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Okay, Freaking hell, Angel Beats and Haruhi are completely different shows. They don't even have the same damn premise

On topic, I've never been that partial to FUNi's player because it shuts down on me sometimes and then you gotta go through the same John Woo/cell phone commercial again. Razz I would have prefered CR but I'll live with the FUNi player.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, Freaking hell, Angel Beats and Haruhi are completely different shows. They don't even have the same damn premise.

No, they just have the same main female character. Wink That's what most people are reacting to, I believe. Well, that and the exact clone of the Enoz concert scene.

Watching House of Five Leaves right now...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to have to check out Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei. The style looks interesting.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
This is some seriously great news, since I was really hoping these two series would be streamed and was disappointed when no announcement was initially made.

However, I don't think that everyone quite understands just how major this announcement is. FUNimation will now be simulcasting Fuji TV's Noitamina block in of itself, not just these two series. There have been a great deal of notable and highly-rated works that have come on in that covented block and now we'll have the opporitunity to watch those same shows soon after they've aired.

That's primarily why the key note of the press release is "streaming" and not "DVDs" as well. It would be both unrealistic and inflated of expectations to have each show recieve a disc release here, so it makes more sense to at least just cover the streaming aspect, as I'm sure there is an provision (or "first dibs") for FUNimation to do a disc run if any of the shows are successful.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Zilan wrote:

You're right. They should totally have gotten the derivative moe-filled shows instead of the two most original shows of the season. Shame on them for trying to be high-brow!

Seriously, I do not get why people are so crazy about Angel Beats!. It's decent, but it's really good moments only come after waves of mediocrity.

look another anime about samurai, how rare! and one about school life, that's never been done before ! These shows are indeed very original.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Okay, Freaking hell, Angel Beats and Haruhi are completely different shows. They don't even have the same damn premise.

No, they just have the same main female character. Wink That's what most people are reacting to, I believe. Well, that and the exact clone of the Enoz concert scene.

Meh. Okay, maybe in the first few minutes I thought "Man those two are similar" and I won't argue against the fact that they have a vert similar chara design but like...okay, the first five minutes of Haruhi in Dissapearance is her freaking screaming and ranting at the SOS Brigade and getting stuff her way. Yuri is more like....Misato. As in actual leadership quality and not screaming and not being over-demanding and stuff like that .

And does every anime with a concert scene have to be like the Enoz one? Is BECK ripping off Haruhi too?

Anyway, I'm getting OT. What are these times in EST?

Last edited by garfield15 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

Watching House of Five Leaves right now...

They also have a very similar use of references, a clueless everyman being droped into a group of stereotyped characters, and the animation style is also very similar (compare Asakura fight to fights Vs Tenshi)
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Excuse me for not wanting to watch more of the same Moe crap churned out of Japanese Studios. Thank God Funimation has a brain to license quality shows. Though frankly Angel Beats isn't a bad show.

Excuse me for not wanting to watch more of the same samurai/pyscho drama crap churned out of Japanese studios.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
look another anime about samurai, how rare! and one about school life, that's never been done before ! These shows are indeed very original.

Yes, it's a period piece, but the premise is very different, as are the characters. I just watched the first episode, it was very good.

As for the other... if you don't know the name Yuuasa Masaaki, I can see how you might think that. The guys specializes in experimental, creative style.

Maybe it's not for you, but bear in mind that these are the kind of shows that pretty much have yet to be streamed, ever. A little variety out there is never a bad thing.

Speaking of the first episode, as I said, I liked it. The character designs are going to take a bit of getting used to. But maybe their weirdness will be enough of a deterrent to keep fujoshi from taking over this series? I mean seriously, the scenes between Akitsu and Yaichi...Laughing Anyway, it was an interesting first episode, I am looking forward to more.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I probably won't bother checking these out until they pop on Hulu or YouTube (if they ever do.) I've pretty much given up on getting Funi's player to work.

However, they do sound a bit interesting, if not exactly original.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
And does every anime with a concert scene have to be like the Enoz one? Is BECK ripping off Haruhi too?

Of course not. BECK came out two years before Haruhi, so if anything it's the other way around! Wink

Seriously, though, it probably will vary person to person, but watching Angel Beats! I couldn't help but feel I'd sort of seen these characters all before. And the concert scene, which was the crowning moment of awesome after an episode that alternated between boring and annoying, really did have the same lighting, the same shots, the same style band, as the Enoz scene. Not all concert scenes are identical; the ones in Nana were nothing like either of these. And I've actually never seen BECK, so I can't compare those.

Still, things will affect people differently; I just don't really get the appeal of Angel Beats! That's a reason it's great to see the Noitamina shows get streamed, they'll just add a little more variety to the kind of shows that are out there. And variety is not a bad thing! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6