• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga: The Rose of Versailles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Interesting column; I just wish there was a way I could actually get a hold of the title. It definitely sounds like my sort of thing :/
Peries

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 1:44 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I will just continue to be amazed of the fact that there is an Arabic dub of Rose of Versailles, yet no English release, sub or dub, exists. WTF is wrong with the English speaking world?!

To this day, the Arabic dub of Rose of Versailles remains my one favorite anime dub of all times. It's the reason I got so heavily into the medium.

Regarding Ikeda's lack of other hits, her manga The Window of Orpheus was popular for some time, and just as epic as RoV. It also seems to be better researched, even if the style is more mature, and the characters aren't as engaging due to the huge cast.

I was lucky enough to grab the bilingual edition of Princess Knight when it was first published seven years ago. Regarding the acquisition issues with Rose of Versailles, does anyone really know why a license is hard to get, rumors aside?
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
Americans had even less idea of what a shojo manga was, but the closest thing in English was probably Jem. It was a dark time.

Oh, there were plenty of comics for girls in Europe! Brittain had several popular weeklies such as Bunty and the annuals (thick anthologies with several complete stories that were released just before Christmas) always did well.

Yes, especially in Britain. Comics for girls did a lot better in the UK than they did in the US. There were over 50 girl's anthology titles published in Britain, just between 1950 and 1980 and some of them were around for decades - Bunty came out weekly for 43 years.

Quote:
I don't know how well Bunty sold, but the Dutch equevalent, Tina sold 300.000 copies a week at the hight of its popularity.

I think all of the more popular titles (School Friend, Girl, Bunty, Jackie, Tammy etc.) sold pretty well until the bottom fell out of the market in the late 80s and 90s. Most of them managed sales of anywhere from 200,000 to 500,000 per week but School Friend and Jackie both sold over a million copies a week at the height of their popularity.

---

Oh yeah, the new column. Excellent stuff. I wholeheartedly approve.

Last edited by Moomintroll on Fri May 07, 2010 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
I like the new column. Smile

I won some manga in the contest, but I don't think it was ever sent. I never got it. Maybe because I live on an Air Force Base...

Hey Wooga. Smile What's your name, and when did you get a notice (or see on the site) that you won? Let me look into it. Email me at "jason" at "sonic.net" and I'll figure out what happened and send you some manga!
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Peries wrote:
Regarding the acquisition issues with Rose of Versailles, does anyone really know why a license is hard to get, rumors aside?

It's been several years since I heard this information, so the situation may have changed, but that was what I heard from certain folks in the manga industry who may have made an offer for an English edition of RoV. Ikeda is a superstar in the Japanese industry, and well regarded pretty much everywhere in the world except the U.S. -- it's understandable that she, or her publisher, might have especially high licensing fees or special demands for RoV. But I don't remember any more specifics than that -- sorry to tantalize/frustrate!

Actually, when I was working at Viz, I wanted to license RoV and have Colleen Doran do the English rewrite. Which seems a little weird by modern standards -- "rewrite" is itself an old-fashioned concept in manga translation, impyling that the work needs to be prettied up and heavily localized for American audiences -- but this was the late '90s, when publishers thought they could attract people to buy manga by hiring (at the time) well-known English creators to do the rewrite. I still think Colleen Doran would be perfect, though.
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Lys wrote:
(edit: wanted to add that I love the top illustration for this column—may I ask who the artist is?)

hmm, judging from the style I'd say Jason drew that himself.

And as someone who has been to Jason's Apartment of 1000 Manga, I can only imagine in fear what the House is like!!!

Hi Ed and Lys! Actually, the banner is drawn by the great Lanny Liu (www.lannyworld.com). For those who haven't heard of her, she's an amazing shojo-manga-influenced American artist.

Last edited by ptolemy18 on Fri May 07, 2010 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
simside wrote:
Congratulations, and what a wonderful first article. I especially liked the introduction, since I'm right there with you when it comes to having a house full of ridiculous amounts of manga I may or may not enjoy reading.

Mostly, though, I had to comment on how I absolutely did not believe those English volumes of Rose of Versailles existed, no matter how many places I saw them referenced, until I saw your photo here. My jaw hit the floor.

I have a confession to make: even I don't have, and haven't seen, a copy of the English RoV volume 2. I almost didn't include it in MtCG because I thought it was legendary, until Fred Schodt confirmed that he did translate it and that it does exist. But I never could find one...

(re-checks google just in case)
ptolemy18

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Well, not those three exactly, but on my shelves, Kodocha is sitting right next to Knights of the Zodiac and Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.

Okay, not really. I call Knights of the Zodiac Saint Seiya, so that one is sitting somewhere near Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei. The other manga next to Kodocha is The Kindaichi Case Files, I think.

That said, there is still plenty I don't like. I don't like crap, obviously, I don't like erotic comics, I don't really like BL and I'm graduating from Shounen Jump manga.

Well, you and your bookshelf kick ass, it seems. Wink

I'm still fond of Shonen Jump manga. I like BL, although the more I read the more I realize how much junk there is and how rare really good artists are. I don't really like ero-manga, although I'm interested in writing more about it.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
ptolemy18 wrote:
I have a confession to make: even I don't have, and haven't seen, a copy of the English RoV volume 2. I almost didn't include it in MtCG because I thought it was legendary, until Fred Schodt confirmed that he did translate it and that it does exist. But I never could find one...

It's because Schodt translated it in pencil for that producer! I heard him say so in an interview. He wrote English between the Japanese lines of dialog.

Edit: Wait... volume 2?
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
Americans had even less idea of what a shojo manga was, but the closest thing in English was probably Jem. It was a dark time.

Oh, there were plenty of comics for girls in Europe! Brittain had several popular weeklies such as Bunty and the annuals (thick anthologies with several complete stories that were released just before Christmas) always did well.

Yes, especially in Britain. Comics for girls did a lot better in the UK than they did in the US. There were over 50 girl's anthology titles published in Britain, just between 1950 and 1980 and some of them were around for decades - Bunty came out weekly for 43 years.

Jem isn't really what I'd think as the forefront of girl oriented comics for North America during that time, especially since Jem came out in the late 80s. If anything, the late 60s-70s was the rise of Supergirl, and we can't forget Betty and Veronica who have been successful for decades. Also everyone always seems to forget Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman, the live-action tv series popular with little girls.

This isn't even touching on the Romance comic boom around the 1950s.

If I had to pick an animated cartoon from the 80s as the closest thing to Rose of Versailles as a "shoujo" series it would be She-Ra, Princess of Power. That girl just kicked butt. I don't remember Jem ever really doing anything other than singing, or shopping.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to Jem (which had a number of recurring storyarcs, and an actual ending), it did feature a lot of content kids cartoons will never cover today, like episodes on adult illiteracy, drug abuse, vietnam war orphans, and the fact that the Misfits commit attempted murder on a fairly regular basis.

But their songs were better, mind you, which probably kept them out of the courts.

All that said, Rose of Versailles is still really somethingelse, and well worth your time, and educational :) It's engrossing, and one of the few series where you follow characters as they age and face their lives ends [so few comics have characters that age more then a few years- there's Dragonball, For Better or Worse, and Maison Ikkoku that I can think of, though probably others]
Haipaa_Koneko

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
Is the smeared eyeshadow in the logo supposed to look like a barcode? Because that would be awesome.

Just thought I'd clear this up. Anime smile
That's accually supposed to represent a character going pale at something like if something scars them or makes them go queasy or even if they are sleepy. So often in manga when you can't use color they use these little hash lines and when colored they use that blue or grey color. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I've actually seen the second volume of Rose of Versailles in English!

My mother is a teacher. A student of hers was family friends with Frederic Schodt, and she loaned me the first two volumes. I've always had to argue with people who didn't believe me that they existed, but I'm glad to see that this column proves me right!
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Littlegreenwolf: Jem is technically from the mid-80's not the late-80's.

Paploo: You know, I'd never thought of some of what The Misfits did to Jem and the Holograms as attempted murder before... but, thinking about it, yeah, some of their antics could be seen that way. Smile

Although in some respects, I find Jem being referenced in a manga article kind of interesting, since Jem was primarily known as an animated show. There may have been comic adaptations, but I was not aware of them from the time, and I'm not entriely sure now about this (which is a sad thing for me to admit, since I am the founder of the Truly Outrageous! Jem internet mailing list).

Now, I'd better go duck for cover, in case any Jem haters decide to throw any virtual tomatoes at me.

Jason: This was a great first column. I've heard a lot about Rose of Versailles in various anime reference books that I've read, and it sounds interesting. I definitely need to find a way to, at the very least, watch the first episode of the anime.

Paploo wrote:
To be fair to Jem (which had a number of recurring storyarcs, and an actual ending), it did feature a lot of content kids cartoons will never cover today, like episodes on adult illiteracy, drug abuse, vietnam war orphans, and the fact that the Misfits commit attempted murder on a fairly regular basis.

But their songs were better, mind you, which probably kept them out of the courts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Annf

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Anyone anywhere on planet earth with a credit card can grab the ebook version of the Japanese language Rose of Versailles for 315 yen per volume right this second.
http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/title/563.html
(No, there's no territory restrictions on ebookjapan purchases.)

The language barrier's a b*tch, isn't it? Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5