• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The death of the anime collector.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
The reason why I rent and dont buy any anime, or other films on DVD asa matter of fact, etc, is that they would be taking so much space. I had to move a few times during past few years, and every time I ended up giving stuff away to libraries, selling them for a fraction of what I spent on them, etc. So collectioning does not interest me at all and I dont feel bad about it. If I had a choice of buying a book to read or a DVD, I would still go for a book, although I tend to rent those as well rather than to buy them. I have loads of other things that take up space, dont need more.
Besides, in the part of Europe where I live anime is still so ridiculously expensive, certainly not worth for the value. So until the proces go down, I certainly wont become one of them collectors...
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
DVD collecting is clearly more rewarding. Keep in mind I only knock the figure collecting hobby because I own a few. Razz

PENALTY!

I said chip board box. You're disqualified and you're treating.

Also, you forget these things can be posed now, which definitely increases their worth more than a box (or DVD, if you want to go down this road).

So, nyah. Razz
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
which definitely increases their worth more than a box

To you maybe. I wouldn't pay 2c for anything linked on that page. Not that I am knocking youre hobbies I simply have no interest in it. And I am sure many collectors feel the same as me. Besides being decorative and collectable isn't DVD's only positive side. It also has the virtue of actually having the Anime on it. Therefore it is also practical. Dolls have no practical use. I am not saying your decision is wrong but you talk like there could be no other decision Smile And that's wrong.

So, Nyah. Razz
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
To you maybe. I wouldn't pay 2c for anything linked on that page. Not that I am knocking youre hobbies I simply have no interest in it. And I am sure many collectors feel the same as me.

Agreed.
~nanashi~

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Well I seem to be a little late to the party, so I'll just simply add my two cents. I'm 23 and have been steadily collecting DVD's for the past 9 years, once every blue moon or so I'll buy a figure or two. Now regardless how the digital age may progress and how easily that will make Anime available via the internet, I have to say that I will always remain a true-blue DVD collector. For me a digital copy can never re-place the feel of the real thing, that and I do enjoy shopping around for my Anime. Anime smile + sweatdrop
G-mofactor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
These days, I have been carefully managing my cash into spending money. I still buy DVDs (now starting on blu-rays as well) just like I buy CDs. I buy them based on the content, desired animation quality, the product art, and additional features. Price is not the biggest concern since collecting is something that challenges a good shopper, and it determines how desirable that item is. As a collector I buy the stuff I very much like and keep for a long time, so there is not a lot comparatively to the hardcore collectors, because I am not spending to impress people for the amount of stuff that I have.

Both the DVDs and CDs have something that is in common that I like - I love to hold at something that I bought and look at the cover art, sleeves, and what-not.

Once I think more about it when I observe and discuss this to my friends - I concluded that a person has to have the expenses, desire, and interest; with amongst other things. With things the way there are now, people have more options in how they get their anime which I also think lessen the amount of people willing to be an avid anime collector.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And I am sure many collectors feel the same as me.

No dispute from me, especially given what's available to buy. In truth, I'd love to know what the ratio is.

Quote:
Dolls have no practical use.

You're telling me. Damn things won't even clean the dust off themselves, let alone do my dishes, wash my laundry, and tune up the vehicles. A trade-off for looking good, I suppose.

Quote:
I am not saying your decision is wrong but you talk like there could be no other decision Smile And that's wrong.

Not sure where you're reading this, but know my words are my position only. I thought I was very careful to speak only for myself, but must have goofed somewhere. Smile
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
PENALTY!

I said chip board box. You're disqualified and you're treating.

Alright if not DVD Collecting, (The Topic BTW) whose boxes are sometimes made of chip board VS Figure Collecting, then what exactly are you on about? Because you've lost me. Weren't you ranting about not doing your homework and how you bought a bunch of series you hate? Confused
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Alright if not DVD Collecting, (The Topic BTW) whose boxes are sometimes made of chip board VS Figure Collecting, then what exactly are you on about?

The "penalty" remark was a joke, emphasized by the "you're treating" quip from the Haruhi series (lost if one's not seen it, of course). The remark was what Haruhi would say when she sees her rules being broken. If the use was misinterpreted, my apologies. It wasn't meant as an attack against your post at all.
Promise. Smile

Quote:
Weren't you ranting about not doing your homework and how you bought a bunch of series you hate? Confused

I can see why you're lost if this is what you took from my post. First, I wasn't ranting at all. I simply addressed a reason why collecting is dying. Second, where in the world did you get my post as being about a bunch of series I hate?
bahumut75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:

Zin5ki wrote:
Unfortunately, nearly every collector of physical media will have to accept the unavailability of the titles that fall out of print or fail to be licensed in their language. In effect, most collections will always be incomplete in the eyes of their owners.

If and when the latest optical format ousts DVDs as the primary medium of choice within the anime industries, it is quite probable that numerous titles shan't be re-released through the more modern disc type, and shall thereby be confined to used auctions. Such a phenomenon might add to the frustration of current and future collectors.

I guess you could say that this is the curse of the collector. No collection is ever really complete. It can indeed be frustrating, but the hunt for a rare item can also be exciting. And expensive.

At least when it comes to anime, I have the advantage of speaking Japanese as a second language, so even if something is never licensed of translated to English, I can still buy the box sets from Japan. This does not help with the cost issue, however. If you've never bought DVDs in Japan... they make stuff over here look cheap. Last time I was in Japan, I spent somewhere on the order of $200 on KimiNozo, which isn't even a long series....

When it comes to physical vs. digital collections, I guess I'm kind of strange. I love to own the DVDs and see my collection on the shelf, but I find that I prefer to watch the digital versions. Especially for some of my older DVDs, I just can't stand the ugly yellow text that the subs are in, and much prefer the "fansub" style visuals. As someone who likes to marathon as well, I'd much prefer to just set up a huge playlist instead of changing DVDs every 4-5 episodes Smile
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Kind of crazy that you spent $200 on KimiNozo when it has been in the bargain bin of Rightstuf for years now at around $15.

Did you at least get some spiffy stuff with the LEs?
bahumut75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Indeed I did. This was quite a while ago though... I want to say '05 or '06? I spent a good 3 hours wandering through one of those huge market districts in Kyoto, so by the time I found it I was all *buy*
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:54 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

I can see why you're lost if this is what you took from my post. First, I wasn't ranting at all. I simply addressed a reason why collecting is dying. Second, where in the world did you get my post as being about a bunch of series I hate?

When you wrote this:
Quote:
I DESPISE the majority of this collection. Of my 175 titles, I'd venture to say less than 25 would remain in my collection. The rest is, quite frankly, not worth owning.

As for me treating, unfortunately all I have on me are E-Cookies. Razz
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I totally understand the lack of space factor. I recently had to convert my entire DVD collection to thin CD cases to save room. I miss not being able to display the boxes, but it wasn't worth living in a cluttered room.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I've heavily lowered my buying of anime in the past few months for two reasons:

Man, I do not want to be that guy with the two shelves of anime and anime figures. I'm kinda happy with my almost full anime filled shelf that I have and I might fill up another small one. No offense to anyone, but I don't know how I can ever invite people to my home without explaining it to them. I'm not going to stop being friends with them because they don't understand my collecting of Japanese cartoons.

What is my family going to do with this stuff if I were to die tomorrow? I would be really pissed off as a dead corpse if they just threw my collection away. Most of my anime collection doesn't have anything rare that could be sold off for money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7