• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime series getting taken off sites...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RHachicho

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Wether it is niche or not makes no difference surely? Admittedly I am a bit older than some Anime fans and my collection started with VHS. At that time illegal copies where both harder to obtain and more obvious being of markedly poorer quality. Still my approach to anything, Anime or not that has taken work to produce needs to get paid for. It was just common sense to me.

Not that I don't use fansubs I watch fansubs all the time. However I have a set budgeot that I can spend on DVD's and if a series catches my eye I make sure to buy it.

Nevertheless this will be my last post in this topic. I am also beggining to get strong whifs of a troll. Also this looks set to degenerate into an argument and I have no time for more of those Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Actually, what upsets me is when someone (Funimation) tells YouTube to remove anime (Nanoha StrikerS) for which they do not, so far as I know, have the license.

Yes, Funimation has other Nanoha series, but not StrikerS. If they did, I wouldn't be watching it fansubbed and in low res. But since they don't, I don't understand why they feel they can send take-down notices for something they have no rights to.

If Funimation *does* have the rights to Nanoha StrikerS, it'd be the first I've heard of it.

Do remember though that FUNi is usually told to remove things by japanese licensors even though they don't have the license to the show. It has happened before.

You're joking, right? Say it ain't so! Rolling Eyes Surely it's illegal to claim that you have the distribution rights when in actuality you don't? [/sarcasm]
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:42 pm Reply with quote
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act allows for agents to make take-down requests on behalf of copyright holders. I believe Funimation has acted as the agent for some Japanese studios and made requests on their behalf concerning series Funimation does not, itself, license. I'd imagine Funimation does it to build goodwill with the studios.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3