• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
2010 Reader Survey

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'll be real upfront, I kinda of just buy stuff without really remembering how much I put down a month/quarter/year and that includes merch and manga, so I fudged the numbers a bit. I hope this info gets you out of the basement, I hear it gets damn down there! Very Happy
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Like Bored Ming I too have my computer hooked up to my HDTV, (missed option on the equipment section) so I too prefer streaming. I think it makes sense for computer and TV networks to avoid telling consumers how easy and handy it is, they'd rather market "Intenet enhanced TV" which to me is "computer deficient TV."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
On the monthy ANN premium video question would we be able to see all Toradora! with just being a monthly premium member? I would rather it be an annual membership.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I too would have preferred to answer the purchases section with annual figures, because some months I bought nothing and one month I bought the equivalent of $120. I didn't answer the last question about fansubs, or streaming as I use neither.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I too would have preferred to answer the purchases section with annual figures, because some months I bought nothing and one month I bought the equivalent of $120. I didn't answer the last question about fansubs, or streaming as I use neither.

I know one month I spent $169.95 on anime dvds and like three months later I spent maybe $30
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
A question popped into my head: Will we be able to see a compilation of the results of this survey once it's completed?

No biggie if it's closed. Just curious about a few questions and the responses they'd receive.
ayashe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:48 pm Reply with quote
How many times a week do you visit ANN?

Every day I'm online, several times a day. I also follow on Twitter.

What do you want to see more of from our News section?

None. I don't care about international news or "Editorialized insight"..

What would you like to see from our Casual/Interest section?

I chose more videos and Weird stuff from Akihabara and Japan. Please no fan created video content or top 10 lists. Top 10 lists are pointless, and you can find AMVs and the like on YouTube.

What do you want to see more of from our Editorial section?

More coverage of upcoming anime, more interviews with Japanese staff and seiyuu. I'd like things you can't find anywhere else, or are hard to find. Interviews with American staff and VA are a dime a dozen. It's very easy find these things, and they're included on the NA DVDs and websites. I'm also not interested in reviews, except for the new anime reviews every season. Those are very important (thank you from saving me from watching Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt!).

What would you want to see more of from our convention coverage?

Japanese guest panels reports, Japanese event reports, Fan panels reports, again things that are more difficult to find.

Quote:
not to mention the expense of Japanese anime and acquiring a Region 2 DVD player

You don't have to buy a region 2 DVD player, just a region free one, or you can make your current player region free. There are instructions for it online.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Ads don't bug me enough on streaming anime to get me to pay additional money to get rid of them, but find a way to get those streams on my xbox to watch on my tv, and then maybe I'll be willing to dish out some cash. Wink

Yeah, I know that'd probably involve some complicated license you don't have. I can dream though.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
How often do you visit ANN?

Several times a day, especially since I usually click through the twitter posts.

How much have you spent on anime?
This year I have probably spent around $500-600 on DVD's and Blurays compared with like $100 worth of regular DVD's/Blurays.

Manga?
Less, maybe around $200.

Videogames?
In the last few years, probably around $500-800 on software. More if I include consoles.

Figures?
Depends, I usually only buy figures on my annual trip to Hong Kong and Tokyo. So maybe around $100-150. I don't buy super expensive figures.

How often do you go to the theater?
Around once or twice a month depending on what movies are out.

Consoles?
All current and last gen consoles.

HDTV?
Yes, an LG 32" 1080p LED LCD.

Would I pay for ANN streaming?
Depends, I really REALLY don't like streaming. I probably wouldn't pay the $3.99 a month but $20 a year doesn't sound too shabby especially now that ANN is get more shows, especially those in HD and dubbed.
Well, actually, if the $20 ONLY removed ads and did not let you watch HD or dubbed then probably not.

Do I use Ad-blocker?
Yes, I HATE ads, I know they support the site but I can't stand them. Sorry.

Coupons by email?
Sure! I buy so much online nowadays coupons would be welcomed!

Do I watch fansubs?
Yes, pretty much exclusively. I like the look of them, the ease of downloading them and watching them in HD on my TV, plus I can take them along for plane rides and such.

Download or stream?
Download. Always. I have 3TB of space on my PC, with a 500gb external, I have more than enough space to download HD anime. And once I buy a series, I usually delete the files to make space.

I would love to see the results of this, it would be very interesting.

Also, can we have more surveys just for fun? They're cool.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 am Reply with quote
It's fine if you answer questions on the forum, but please fill out the actual survey. We might look at your written answers, but only the numbers from the form actually get crunched into useful data.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
Jrittmayer wrote:
Also, can we have more surveys just for fun? They're cool.

We like surveys too. I'll try to get them up more often. I used to try to give you guys one a week when I was involved with content, but the "new job" leaves no time for that.

I do have someone perfect in mind that can give you surveys...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 am Reply with quote
Alright, so I finally got the survey filled out.
The only answer I feel I need to expound upon is the final one.
"Fansubs versus streaming, when they're available at the same time."

I chose fansubs for only one reason. One Piece. Currently, the only anime I'm watching are One Piece and OreImo. I watch OreImo here, and I'm watching two fansubs of One Piece. One legacy subber who's really far behind but has really good releases and I'm friends with the translator, and one group that is current. The only reason I watch the fansubs are because I prefer to have it in HD, since the animation is gorgeous. If Funi could offer HD streaming, I'd watch it with them. Also, I buy the DVDs, since I love One Piece, and want to support it. I'm currently working through the dub of the latest set that's been released, and would love to hear them announce that the episodes starting from 207 will get a BD release as well. But if One Piece were to end, I'd pretty much not be watching anything, unless some other really good shounen series started up (that appealed to me). Or something that showcased otaku culture, like Genshiken or OreImo.
Alien1375

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:
I'm kind of with PJ here in that I would have preferred to list spending by year rather than month.

Divide it by 12.

I’m sorry, but I don’t know if that’s the right thing to do.

Example:
I’m buying 3 big figurines a year that are aprox. $100,- each. If I translate that into months that would be $ 300,- / 12 = $ 25,- a month. Which would imply that I’m buying a small 25 buck figurine once a month. In that case I’m giving the wrong impression to ANN.

By the way, I’m not American but I’m importing quite alot of American DVD’s. Should I add that to the import DVD spending or the ‘normal’ DVD spending?
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
I've only ever bought one anime set (first FMA series) and a few movies so I just put down 0 on the anime front since I haven't bought anything in months. All my other amounts are probably a bit weird because I live in the Uk and was just working with very rough (guessed) conversion rates :/ So I probably overestimated my spending a lot; manga wise.
Mune

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Quote:
I'm kind of with PJ here in that I would have preferred to list spending by year rather than month.

Divide it by 12.

Some of us bought a lot during the summer or other parts of the year and when the numbers don't match up for a quarter, it looks like we do not buy as much as we said we did. I bought probably over $300 this year. All of which was either in September or April. So, me saying I spend $25 a month would be true if I were counting on average between all months of "This" year.

Yet, previous years, I have spent more... And one poor buying year does not mean I have lost interest or lack funds to buy anime, it just was a slow year for me. Plus, the lack of time to actually view what I buy.

Most of the anime I am interested in seem to be releasing in 2011 or at least have a possibility of being released. Now, if I were to say how much I have paid all together on anime, it exceeds $2000 easily over the last 5 years. Some I regret buying(Ikkitousen for $80), others I was happy that I did when I did(5 Centimeters Per Second at Best Buy for $25).

I want Ore Imouto, Tsubasa OVAs, My-Otome 0.S.ifr OVAs, Ikkitousen Dragon Destiny, FLCL(blu-ray re-release). Most of which are releasing after the new year. It sucks living in the states...I want some of the series that are not likely to be released here like Nanoha A's, Strikers, and Viz please finish the Hunter X Hunter franchise-I want all the OVAs!

Sorry about going on a tangent, but the survey asked some very essential questions on how to promote and sustain ANN. Streaming is popular for anime shows that do not have a U.S. market yet. I stretch the "yet" because when a show is airing in Japan it does not have a big fan base in the U.S. and when it does release here, it does seem to pick up sometimes. I advise against streaming anime that is licensed here in the states because of the lack of interest to buy it. But some may think that since it is not available through streaming, that downloading it is acceptable.

But if the ANN site and the streaming were compatible to the PS3, I would stream more often from ANN. Until then, I will continue to stream elsewhere, that is compatible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4