• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's the best entry point to the Gundam franchise?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrcuteguy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
I pretty like gundam seed , truly recommended to watch it and if u like seed might as well go for destiny.

The more recent gundam series which u should watch is gundam 00. Quite a story plot and cool mecha they have especially in season 2.

Out of topic - if u really like mecha series alot, u should watch code geass (especially season 2) where development for mecha was awesome.
hanshin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 am Reply with quote
Gundam Zeta. After that you'll be so depressed that you won't mind watching the crap they make later on. Cause it can't get any less cheerful.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
hanshin wrote:
Gundam Zeta. After that you'll be so depressed that you won't mind watching the crap they make later on. Cause it can't get any less cheerful.

I thought Victory Gundam was even more depressing as someone was always killed off in almost every episode and the body count is significantly higher than in Zeta. I also have to note that most of the victims spoiler[were women, so does it mean that Tomino really hated women at the time he directed?(just a speculation)]
hanshin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Right... forgot about Victory. Yeah heard like.. errrbody got killed in that one.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Well u know from what I can tell from your responses, you want realism. Problem...its a cartoon so if things don't make sense don't force it. It's not suppose to. Especially in anime. This applies to both philosophy and the Laws of Physics. The "Gundam is its own world" argument stands since well you didn't say much except, "fine whatever I agree dude." So, you changed your mind towards the end and just decided to accept Gundam for what it is despite you have never seen it (root of the problem). OK

Your views on realism are subjective. What that means is you are being needlessly picky/ dragging on this nonexistent issue.

Anyhow, like what naninanino has said, most people don't confuse the two unlike you. People know Gundam is fake so....when you mentioned realism you should have known you're way off. In regards to when you said other people, I think you misinterpreted and need to read the context of what people right. Gundam is only real in the sense that the emotional problems the characters deal with are realistic. In order to see that, you can't be too literal. As shown by your examples, you are too literal.

Now this may be a long shot, but you know what ur bs. If not then you are purposely being confused. You like Macross and other mecha anime, but not Gundam? Bolding it for people to see the irrationality behind your ideology. So far you only complained about the humanoid parts and space battles? Again, but you have no problem when that's portrayed in Macross and the million of other mecha animes? OK fyi, humanoid and mecha are like peaches n cream.

If it turns out that you really are just confused (highly doubt) or picky (definitely), start with Gundam Seed. Although, I think it's clear you have seen Gundam before. Meaning you lied in your intro/misleading. Seed is regarded as well, the best because Seed was the anime that brought Gundam back to life. Gundam is an overly hyped somewhat popular franchise. When the 1st Gundam came out it was renowned for its uniqueness. Many of the following Gundam's were considered crap until Seed came out. Don't bother watching the older inferior Gundam series. Seed revived the Gundam franchise so clearly it must have some merit. However, since you dislike humanoid mechas (highly doubt and ludicrous) trash it. I'm guessing Appleseed?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3