• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children scheduled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I'm not sure why you people think 100,000-200,000 people downloading something is going to make any kind of dent in the sales of this thing.

Final Fantasy VII is still one of the top-selling games of all time. It sold something on the order of 8 million copies. Even if half a million teenagers steal this movie on the internet they're still guaranteed to sell a metric ton of copies.

I mean, more people than that downloaded Star Wars Episode III, and even more people than that bought bootleg DVDs. Movie grossed over 300 million bucks in the theaters and will do probably half that business if not more on DVD.

You have to consider the relative popularity of something. Final Fantasy VII was popular with more than just hardcore anime nerds, it was popular with everyone, a colossal mainstream success. The mainstream buyers are the important ones and they're not the ones stealing everything 2 months before it's supposed to come out.

For some reason, the people who claim to "truly support!" the film and the property and claim to "appreciate it on a higher level" are the ones most likely to not pay for it, which is the most important thing they can do to show their "appreciation". But that's irony for you, isn't it?

Yep, 100,000 Downloads will, they downloaded it and watched it a "while" ago, why bother to spend $30 or so on something you've already seen. That's a fact. (I know it sucks, but that's life)
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Most I know who've seen it will be buying it. Why spend the money even if you've seen it? Well, if you saw a movie in theaters then why buy the DVD later? Yet so many people do as it's one of the largest industries in the US, not to mention the theater is the ideal place to see it and likely not one you can replicate at home where as a computer is easily outperformed by a good system.

Otherwise, it's simply an attitude to help ensure that quality anime continues to become rare because it costs money to produce it and if you aren't willing to support it then you're not going to get much of it, nor would you even have the right to ask for it.

Last edited by Keonyn on Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Serge wrote:

Yep, 100,000 Downloads will, they downloaded it and watched it a "while" ago, why bother to spend $30 or so on something you've already seen. That's a fact. (I know it sucks, but that's life)

Really? Quote me some numbers on that, would you? Show me some evidence that you have any clue whatsoever what you're talking about.

Because millions people watch the same episodes of The Simpsons, or LOST, or Sex and the City over and over again on TV - for free - and then run out and spend millions every month to own the episodes they've seen over and over again on DVD. Again, Final Fantasy VII is a MAINSTREAM success, a MAINSTREAM property, not some niche anime show only 5,000 people are interested in.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
Meh, doesnt matter to me. I watched it, and it's not worth the purchase.

Shut up. Nobody wants to hear about how you stole something and then didn't like it.

If you wanted to watch it, you should have paid for it, regardless of whether or not you liked it.

Sure, I'm going to spend money on something I dont like. "Gee, I'm glad I blew 30 bucks on something that completely and utterly sucked"

I already did that with steamboy.

I could rent it. the only difference is I would lost 3 dollars. Either way Sqeenix wouldnt be getting my money.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:57 pm Reply with quote
So much negativity. Honestly, some of you people make me really sad.

Yeah I've seen it, I was one of the 'bad' people who downloaded it, but I couldn't help it, I was curious. And after watching it I'm about 100% sure my husband and I will buy the DVD when it comes out. So at least SOME of us have morals here and don't mind the idea of losing a few days of McDonald's food to help support something we like. Rolling Eyes

No plot? Confused Huh? Did the people that say this actually PLAY FF7? If you didn't... that's why you see no plot. You have to have played the game, beat the game, to understand the plot. Saddly that could be taken as a downfall for the film... but I'd like to think it will just spur sales of the game again for curious people who want to know "WTF was that about?".

Thank god it has a greatest hits version cause EBGames is gonna piss me off when they slap a $50+ price on the used version of it after the release of this film. (Not that I don't have the game anyway...)

And please PLEASE... never use the words "Let's see how it stands up to Spirits Within"... It burns my eyes.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Sure, I'm going to spend money on something I don't like. "Gee, I'm glad I blew 30 bucks on something that completely and utterly sucked"

I could rent it. the only difference is I would lost 3 dollars. Either way Sqeenix wouldnt be getting my money.

Do you just not understand how the entertainment industry operates? You should have paid to watch it in the first place.

And yes, Square Enix would get a cut of that rental money. At least it's legit.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
So much negativity. Honestly, some of you people make me really sad.

Yeah I've seen it, I was one of the 'bad' people who downloaded it, but I couldn't help it, I was curious. And after watching it I'm about 100% sure my husband and I will buy the DVD when it comes out. So at least SOME of us have morals here and don't mind the idea of losing a few days of McDonald's food to help support something we like. Rolling Eyes

No plot? Confused Huh? Did the people that say this actually PLAY FF7? If you didn't... that's why you see no plot. You have to have played the game, beat the game, to understand the plot. Saddly that could be taken as a downfall for the film... but I'd like to think it will just spur sales of the game again for curious people who want to know "WTF was that about?".

Thank god it has a greatest hits version cause EBGames is gonna piss me off when they slap a $50+ price on the used version of it after the release of this film. (Not that I don't have the game anyway...)

And please PLEASE... never use the words "Let's see how it stands up to Spirits Within"... It burns my eyes.

I played through the game. I'm perfectly aware of the games story. The only connection the movie has to the game by way of plot devices are the characters (who arent developed AT ALL), and the lifestream. Period.

Last edited by DragonsRevenge on Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Sure, I'm going to spend money on something I don't like. "Gee, I'm glad I blew 30 bucks on something that completely and utterly sucked"

Do you just not understand how the entertainment industry operates? You should have paid to watch it in the first place.

And yes, Square Enix would get a cut of that rental money. At least it's legit.

Ok, I borrow it from a friend and watch it. Squeenix wouldnt get my money.
Otaprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
SquareEnix didn't delay it. Sony did. As far as I know, Squeenix wanted a release much sooner.

On the one hand, everyone in the US will have downloaded and seen Advent Children by november, but on the other hand, that will create a bunch of buzz, websites, and word-of-mouth. Advent Children could easily end up becoming the type of Japanese movie that people who don't watch Japanese movies or anime buy: think Akira.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:29 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Can we get leecher like this off the board, it's making anime fans look bad (We're not all snobbish fans). I'm pretty surprise that he thought it was bad even though a lot of people thought it was good (not great). Maye he just have bad taste or maybe he just need a reason not to support it.

The evil of bootleg. There are many people that enjoy it that's probably not goinig to buy it since they already have it on their comp.

Being a big FF7 fan, I'm definitely going to support this so that hopefully we can get a FF7 remake for the PS3.

Last edited by hagakure|returns on Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:37 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Can we get leecher like this off the board, it's making anime fans look bad.

The evil of bootleg. There are many people that enjoy it that's probably not goinig to buy it since they already have it on their comp.

Being a big FF7 fan, I'm definitely going to support this so that hopefully we can get a FF7 remake for the PS3.

Leecher my ass. I've been seeding it this whole time.

Your morals are inspiring. I applaud you. Dont be a thief like me.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Not like I feel I should justify myself to anyone. But If I download anime, and I like it, I do buy it. If I dont like it, I dont buy it. I view it as a try before you buy thing. If they come out with that deluxe set like in japan, I may buy it, or if theres some really awesome features on it, I'll buy it. But that's all assuming there's a sub track on it. I heard it was dub only. If that's the case, I wont be getting it at all.
shattercone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quote
*Takes down names of those who've seen FFVII:AC, runs to mpaa.org to collect reward for turning them in, can now afford to buy $300 release* Laughing

But seriously folks, the real question is will we see a special edition release in the States? SquareEnix and Sony haven't announced anything about this. Any tidbits?
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
DragonsRevenge wrote:
hagakure|returns wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Your morals are inspiring. I applaud you. don't be a thief like me.

Yeah and your posts are moronic, so please stop posting altogether.

And when I mean "leecher", I mean someone that leech off the industry rather then support it, but you're talking about uploading bootleg to others. What a cretin. Rolling Eyes
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:13 pm Reply with quote
hagakure|returns wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
hagakure|returns wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:

Your morals are inspiring. I applaud you. don't be a thief like me.

Yeah and your posts are moronic, so please stop posting altogether.

And when I mean "leecher", I mean someone that leech off the industry rather then support it, but you're talking about uploading bootleg to others. What a cretin. Rolling Eyes

Your raging insults arent making you look any better, there. I haven't insulted anybody. Who's making themselves look like a cretin? Read my last post.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6