• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Tatsunoko Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ben_the_bear wrote:
There was already a live action Gatchaman, and it was great! 1991's Chojin Sentai Jetman (Winged Squadron Jetman) is a Super Sentai tribute to Gatchaman, complete with a little kid and comic relief fat guy! All the birds match, except for Ken the Eagle. Jetman's leader was Red Hawk. My guess is that they wanted to avoid confusing Red Hawk with the leader of 1981's Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan, Vul Eagle.

Let's not forget that Jetman also introduced everyone to the awesomeness that is Black Condor. Wink

My top favorite Sentai series (for now) which also has some good songs from Hironobu Kageyama (of DBZ & JAM Project fame) including the excellent opening theme.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally, the most recent edition of Charles Brubaker's column for Cartoon Research, Lost Planet Anime, is also about a Tatsunoko show:

"Tatsunoko's 'Hakushon Daimao' (1969)" (4 June 2013)
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
The other funny thing is that, in spite of Speed Racer's broad marketability, Trans-Lux sold the series off in 1969 so they could go where the real money was: LED signboards! I guess that worked out OK for them, though, because they're still in business.

The high school I went to has one, so I see that they certainly went where the money was there (and not with The Mighty Hercules and Felix the Cat).

Quote:
Judo Boy, the Fugitive-esque tale of a young judo champ zooming across the countryside in pursuit of his father's killer, a man with one eye, somehow never made it stateside in spite of this incredibly [expletive] awesome opening. Seriously, look at this shit.

Perhaps Kurenai Sanshiro was too ahead of our time given what constituted for American TV cartoon of the early 70's that was already well into the teenage/animal sidekick musical sleuthery.

Quote:
Saban also snapped up a weird Pinocchio adaptation called Mokku of the Oak Tree-- under the title Adventures of Pinocchio, the show aired on HBO for a couple of years. Don't miss episode five, in which Pinocchio, in his quest to become a real boy, attempts to kidnap a child and remove its still-beating heart!

Impressed Saban got around that one.

Quote:
When a company called Harmony Gold-- who'd already done plenty of business with Tatsunoko up to this point!-- came asking after Macross, Tatsunoko supplied the series, plus an incredibly poorly-worded contract that granted Harmony Gold rights to the Macross TV cartoon and trademarks outside of Japan more or less in perpetuity.

Haha!

Quote:
Decades later this agreement would more or less scupper the chances of seeing a legit release of newer Macross cartoons in the west-- but back then, it was good business for everyone.

Oh the 80's, I miss ya! Cool
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Then, they made this thing! You can't really hang Samurai Pizza Cats on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-- TMNT is a little older, but it didn't make it to Japanese cable TV until 1991. Tatsunoko's Legendary Ninja Cats was a pretty typical kids show-- until it was seized by Saban for broadcast in the US.

I wonder, though. Legendary Ninja Cats is from early 1990. Konami released a TMNT video game in 1989. I wonder if and when the original TMNT comic might have been released in Japan.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
Coincidentally, the most recent edition of Charles Brubaker's column for Cartoon Research, Lost Planet Anime, is also about a Tatsunoko show:

Thank You for posting this!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

Personally, I love seeing Tatsunoko's take on superheroes, and their creations are iconic for good reasons. I am really happy to see Sentai giving Gatchaman a re-release, especially on Blu-Ray; I put my ADV DVDs (all but Volumes 11 & 12) & the Urban Vision DVD for the OVA on eBay, and the auction ended yesterday at slightly over $200! I doubt Sentai's release will feature any sort of Alex Ross artwork, but saving shelf space will offset that.

Though Alex Ross did just do this: Smile

Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Though Alex Ross did just do this

'American Chibi' is certainly one of the more interesting new Astro City characters to be introduced.

So glad Astro City is back.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

Personally, I love seeing Tatsunoko's take on superheroes, and their creations are iconic for good reasons. I am really happy to see Sentai giving Gatchaman a re-release, especially on Blu-Ray; I put my ADV DVDs (all but Volumes 11 & 12) & the Urban Vision DVD for the OVA on eBay, and the auction ended yesterday at slightly over $200! I doubt Sentai's release will feature any sort of Alex Ross artwork, but saving shelf space will offset that.

Though Alex Ross did just do this: Smile

The GaoGaiGar of superhero comics returns and I could not be happier. Thank you Kirk Buseik.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Mike Toole wrote:
Then, they made this thing! You can't really hang Samurai Pizza Cats on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles-- TMNT is a little older, but it didn't make it to Japanese cable TV until 1991. Tatsunoko's Legendary Ninja Cats was a pretty typical kids show-- until it was seized by Saban for broadcast in the US.

I wonder, though. Legendary Ninja Cats is from early 1990. Konami released a TMNT video game in 1989. I wonder if and when the original TMNT comic might have been released in Japan.

That's an interesting one indeed. I still feel Cat Ninden Teyandee was referencing other things and simply having the characters working at the "Pizza Cat" was just a play on a familiar establishment namesake, but it would be interesting to know for sure.

DaisakuKusama wrote:
doc-watson42 wrote:

Thank You for posting this!

More people need to head on over there, PRONTO! Evil or Very Mad
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:56 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

Was Hakushon really removed because of licensing issues or was it because of another reason? I remember there were some other accusations floating around at the time before the game's release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3