• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Free! Swimming Anime Unveils 2 Female Characters, New Visual

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Maybe they want to do more than just pander to the lowest common denominator?

But that's not what KyoAni does. Maybe you're looking for XEBEC or ARMS or feel or Hoods.

All of those pander to the lowest common denominator in one way or another, though.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

BAHA! Is that a joke? CLANNAD is the HEIGHT of pandering to the Otaku fanbase. One word:

FUKO

A naive girl who wants everyone to come to her sister's wedding by giving them star-shaped wooden invitations is the hight of pandering to the otaku fanbase?

Not something like Highschool DxD or To-LOVE-Ru or Sword Art Online? It's Fuko, eh?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:05 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

BAHA! Is that a joke? CLANNAD is the HEIGHT of pandering to the Otaku fanbase. One word:

FUKO

A naive girl who wants everyone to come to her sister's wedding by giving them star-shaped wooden invitations is the hight of pandering to the otaku fanbase?

Not something like Highschool DxD or To-LOVE-Ru or Sword Art Online? It's Fuko, eh?

Is she even a girl? How can she make those star-shaped invitations? Her behavior and mannerisms likewise denote pandering. I'd much rather take something like Highschool DxD over something like CLANNAD; it's much more sexually healthy.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Her behavior and mannerisms likewise denote pandering.

Her behavior and mannerisms denote that she's a kid. spoiler[She is.]

To pick Fuko of all the Clannad girls is absurd. Kyou, Tomoyo, and Kotomi were the more popular girls for otaku after all.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Her behavior and mannerisms likewise denote pandering.

Her behavior and mannerisms denote that she's a kid. spoiler[She is.]

To pick Fuko of all the Clannad girls is absurd. Kyou, Tomoyo, and Kotomi were the more popular girls for otaku after all.

She's a high school student. She's at least 15 or 16.

zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Or was. Her nature is so wildly inconsistent I can't even tell what she is.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Yeah, if you're gonna pick one Clannad girl to go after, I'd think you'd pick Kyou. She's pretty much the standard tsundere girl and is the most popular for doujins. She "Panders" more than any of the other girls.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Yeah, if you're gonna pick one Clannad girl to go after, I'd think you'd pick Kyou. She's pretty much the standard tsundere girl and is the most popular for doujins. She "Panders" more than any of the other girls.

I actually should have gone after Nagisa, but Que Sera, Sera
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:16 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Except the otaku are the one that fund them. They wouldn't be able to make a show like Free without the otakus money in the first place... they are nothing without them. So yeah, the otaku do have say in what they should make. Its an unwritten rule about why anime is so expensive in the first place... you're not only buying the anime, but you're also getting more of what you like made by paying those high prices. KyoAni is ignoring that unwritten rule now.

FUJOSHI ARE OTAKU

THEY ARE LITERALLY GENDERSWAPPED OTAKU

How long will it take for you to realize this? They're not abandoning their otaku fanbase, they're merely going to another kind of otaku fanbase.

Quote:
I think the main issue is that KyoAni is thinking that otaku aren't as reliable of a market for them anymore because they've decided to take on some dull properties recently (Nichijou, Hyouka, Tamako) that haven't sold much... when in reality, those anime just aren't anywhere near as good as their stuff during the late 2000s like Haruhi, Lucky Star, Clannad, K-On etc. If they went back to making high quality shows like that, they wouldn't have any issue getting 20k+ a title.

>Nichijou
>Not good

Lying's a sin, dear Ryan.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:21 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
I think the main issue is that KyoAni is thinking that otaku aren't as reliable of a market for them anymore because they've decided to take on some dull properties recently (Nichijou, Hyouka, Tamako) that haven't sold much... when in reality, those anime just aren't anywhere near as good as their stuff during the late 2000s like Haruhi, Lucky Star, Clannad, K-On etc. If they went back to making high quality shows like that, they wouldn't have any issue getting 20k+ a title.

Maybe they want to do more than just pander to the lowest common denominator?

And fujoshi aren't that? Same with bishojo-otaku... I can understand having a love of some kinds of characters, but fans who just pander for very one-sided things are... Um...
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
"Genderswap" can jokingly mean "opposite gender".

But it's still true. Yeah, they have other of tropes in their stuff, but that does not change that they basically are like female otaku.

Quote:
And fujoshi aren't that? Same with bishojo-otaku... I can understand having a love of some kinds of characters, but fans who just pander for very one-sided things are... Um...

Yeah, I ain't gonna deny this--this show is pandering to girls and gay dudes.

The main difference from otaku shows is that the main characters aren't whimpering girls.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
>Nichijou
>Not good

Lying's a sin, dear Ryan.

Nichijou wasn't very good to me. Still better than Tamako, but it was pretty much nothing but nonsense comedy and the characters weren't developed at all and had terrible designs. Why would I enjoy that show when there are other comedy shows out there with far better characters? Ika Musume, Nyaruko and Milky Holmes all surpass it as far as comedy anime go.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
scarletmoonwish wrote:

This should stop some black lash now for people complaining that it's fugoshi bait now.

Did adding Kyotaro and Hagiyoshi to Saki really make anybody think that it wasn't otaku bait? And I say this as a pretty big fan of Saki. A few characters of the opposite gender doesn't really do anything.

Yeah but thats Ritz.

And...well, Ritz.

I'm only slightly convinced she's actually sure what men are.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:31 am Reply with quote
lloydz wrote:
No sale. Can't have females interfering with the BL.

Was seriously almost convinced that this anime would have an absence of women until today. I also don't follow news on it that closely either though.
Y'know, that makes you look almost (not as, but almost) as intolerant as the guys complaining about shirtless dude fan service. Not all men are gay, and expecting the entire cast of a show to be so just to tickle your fancy is unrealistic, and it further fetishizes and others people who are attracted to their own sex. As a big supporter of the LGBT movement, i despise the homogenizing and fetishizing of gay men and lesbian women.

So there's straight romance. So what? You deal with it in real life, so deal with it in a slice-of-life show. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.
Hamu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

You've summarized my thoughts really well.

On topic: dat imouto. Surprised
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7