• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - World's Greatest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Tales of Earthsea, hmmmm. Well, the dragons are at least pretty cool in design, but from what I've seen, people just say, "Read the book, nothing else," and that should be enough. Is the story heavily reliant on dragons?

I'm glad you asked that question. (Heh, heh, heh.)

Originally it was referred to as the Earthsea Trilogy, which Ursula LeGuin wrote back in the late 60s/early 70s. In the trilogy, there were some dragons, but their role could certainly not be considered a prominant one. Ged (the main protagonist of the trilogy) did deal with them on occasion, but it was rare (which kept them interesting and mysterious).

Nearly 20 years later, in 1990, LeGuin wrote another Earthsea book called "Tehanu", and then a decade later in 2001, "The Other Wind" came out. Tehanu (I never read "The Other Wind") has, shall we say, a different tone than the earlier (and much shorter) books. Dragons still make pretty rare appearances in it, though.

At any rate, while the dragons are pretty cool when they do show up, they don't do it very often. So if you're thinking that Earthsea has a lot of interactions with dragons, then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Chrono Crusade. Yeah. I liked it better when it was lighter and sillier and Rosette went around blowing things up. For most of the second half I was completely lost and confused and had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on. I watched all the Azmaria lessons (if you have to explain your show in this way, you're doing it wrong) and I still didn't get it. I never did work out what Aion was trying to do or why. Either I'm spectacularly dense, the plot is ridiculously convoluted, or I didn't really care about any of it. Probably a bit of all three.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Well it liked the series and the manga for it's crziness. However most of the otaku comminuty liked it especially those mind numbing creeppy otaku loving pedo bears, cause of Azmaria as the newest loli moe character to dream about. Most have her in their tp 3 moe characters along with Sakura Kimonto , Sasami and Chibi Usa during those days.

Erin wrote:
Admittedly, the last episode is, as I'd heard, a total tear-jerker. Even with my heart of stone about this show, I have to admit my tears were totally jerked

UNFORTUNATELY I hated the ending as well as the ending for the manga and it's that last epsiode alone ruined the series for me.

After all of that ,to end it like that was so wrong on so many levels. Not to mentioned that it was too predictable. Was kinda hoping it would be similar to the 8th MS team , and was hoping the manga would have a different ending , but no avail. some eps leading to the ending i already did not liked one bit , but that last one took the cake. It's like what the review says, it's definitely a rental shelf , but not for reviweres reasons, it's for anyone who hated the ending .

if it was not for that as well as some of it's earlier eps ( eos 18- the last ep ) It would be an auto shelf worthy in mine and other people's catagory

However I would not have blame her for making it perishable , cause i have not rewatched it since,but kinda glad it's rental cause if it was,the backlash from pissed off fans especially in the otaku community that it would make the outcry after placing Strike Witches and Gunslinger Girl in the perishable catagory very very meek since it was a great series but marred by a horrible ending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarkCyradis

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
"This is a show I'd easily recommend to hardcore manga fans or artists who want to learn more about the business... That is, I'd heartily recommend it if it weren't for just one thing… the homosexual romance. "

So this "First Love" series has worthwhile content in it that many fans of manga might find interesting and *isn't* just a PWP BL fanservice series that exist specifically to cater to the BL niche... but you're *not* recommending it based on the homosexual romance?

I hadn't realized blatant homophobia was okay in anime journalism now.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Toriko does have a formulaic start to it (hunt creatures or plants, get food, enjoy the taste) but after a couple of arcs, it does start to branch out into a wider story that explains the workings of the world and the opposing forces that try to control it with their own sinister plans. While I will admit that the show is unfortunately toned down from the manga, it still holds the spirit of the manga intact and does what the series does best: have fun. Unlike other Shonen that had been reduced to being angst-ridden, Toriko, while it does have its serious moments, does not allow itself to be overwhelmed with angst. It just wants to go in, put on a show, and have some fun doing it. That is why I find Toriko a blast to read and watch every week since it really wants to take its audience for a ride and lets them enjoy the show. Smile
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
I saw the anime of Chrono Crusade first, which I genuinely liked despite its bittersweet conclusion. That just made reading the manga version a breath of therapeutic fresh air, where the characters aren't made to cruelly suffer like everything was against them, Rosette especially. But because I saw the anime first, I still have an appreciation for both versions of the story.

I wouldn't call the manga a comparative breath of fresh air, or therapeutic, and would likely only rank the manga over the anime becuase when push comes to shove I love reading. They both settled well for me, particularly the divurging storylines. Howver I like when they do that, but others may find it disruptive if waiting for a particular scene to show up. So of those that like both, I'm not picking sides, I enjoyed it either way.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
Whoa... people were replying and I missed it!

koinosuke wrote:
Tales from Earthsea ... Is it the worst Ghibli movie? Definitely.

I dunno, I think I'd rather watch Earthsea than Ocean Waves, although I haven't seen that one in a long time. I think I might like Earthsea better than The Cat Returns. I guess I'd have to re-watch The Cat Returns to make that call.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
At any rate, while the dragons are pretty cool when they do show up, they don't do it very often. So if you're thinking that Earthsea has a lot of interactions with dragons, then I'm afraid you'll be disappointed.

I would like to see a scientific percentage of dragon screen time in Earthsea versus the original Dragon Ball. It's so much more powerful when the dragon(s) rarely appear on screen!

ladykibble wrote:
Getting three BAR on a slot machine is typically one of the highest payouts (usually just below jackpot) on most slots. Three cherries (or two, sometimes the machine takes pity on you) are typically the lowest possible payout.

Craaaap... I tried to look that up, too! Clearly I'm not a gambler.

As for this:
DarkCyradis wrote:
So this "First Love" series has worthwhile content in it that many fans of manga might find interesting and *isn't* just a PWP BL fanservice series that exist specifically to cater to the BL niche... but you're *not* recommending it based on the homosexual romance?

I hadn't realized blatant homophobia was okay in anime journalism now.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I gave Junjo Romantica a Shelf Worthy a while back, and those Toriko doujin I bought were Toriko X Coco, FYI.

You've misunderstood me here; although I might enjoy BL on occasion, I know some people might be really skeeved out by homosexuality, or offended because of their religion or personal beliefs. I can't just go recommending yaoi to anyone without knowing if they're going to get offended.

That aside, so far the romance in "First Love" hasn't struck me as particularly great.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I would like to see a scientific percentage of dragon screen time in Earthsea versus the original Dragon Ball. It's so much more powerful when the dragon(s) rarely appear on screen!

Have you seen Rankin Bass' A Flight of Dragons Erin? If not you should. Great movie with lots of dragons.[/url]
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Have you seen Rankin Bass' A Flight of Dragons Erin? If not you should. Great movie with lots of dragons.

That's the opposite of what I want, though. I like one really great dragon who only appears on special occasions.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:
Have you seen Rankin Bass' A Flight of Dragons Erin? If not you should. Great movie with lots of dragons.

That's the opposite of what I want, though. I like one really great dragon who only appears on special occasions.
So haven't seen Eragon" yet then? That one's still waiting for a sequel though. Wink
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:05 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

One word, Erin: Smaug. Smile
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

My point is that it's possible to find it to be a fun, smart movie regardless of dragon-appearance ratio Wink
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
Shenl742 wrote:

One word, Erin: Smaug. Smile

On that note, Forbes actually calculated how much Smaug's fortune is worth: approximately $8.6 billion. Laughing
poonk

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 1:11 am Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
Quote:
If you want to learn more about manga and also happen to be a yaoi fan, apparently Spring 2011 is your lucky season.
I KNOW. Excellent. Laughing
*high fives* Yep, this is quite all right by me. So far I think I prefer its main couple to Junjou Romantica's, frankly, and so the behind-the-scenes manga tidbits are just the icing on the cake. It's too bad about TokyoPop's aborted manga release but I bet that license will get snatched up quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
On that note, Forbes actually calculated how much Smaug's fortune is worth: approximately $8.6 billion. Laughing

I just wanted to add that this was hilarious:
Forbes wrote:
Now we can calculate the volume of Smaug’s treasure mound:

V= 1/3 π r2 h = 1/3 * π * 9.62 * 7 = 675.6 cubic feet

Thanks, enurstol! That is the nerdiest equation I can imagine. (Or at least in the top ten.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4