• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Governor is Not a Mickey Mouse Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daisuke_wto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:57 pm Reply with quote
otakus here??? take how many are here and times that by 10 Japan has wayyy more otakus ever see there Dojun convention? crazy big and thats baiscly an otaku convention and as much as I dis like most american cartoon save a few choice 1s Mickey Mouse is like the grand daddy of anime if not for him anime would not look the way it is
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, even I don't hate Mickey Mouse.
No one is allowed to hate Mickey Mouse.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:30 am Reply with quote
Even if he's not for Mickey Mouse, Mickey Mouse can always count on us!!
NeonGEvangelion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
hahaha. Well in his defense Mickey Mouse isn't that relevant anymore. How many kids watch Mickey Mouse now? Seriously I doubt any child does.

Thats a pretty derogatory statement. I know a lot of kids that watch Mickey Mouse. Yes he's old, but he is very symbolic, and I believe every child should be exposed to Mickey Mouse. Tokyo governor has his own opinions but he could have stated his opinion in a more orderly manner. To each their own, I say.
TcDohl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:51 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:

O_o.
In French you count things the same way you count them in English... "one, two, three" ("un, deux, trois"). I can't think of a single incident where it'd be different.

Beyond that, the man is clearly an ignoramus anyway.

Actually, he was talking about when Ishihara was complaining the way that French counts things in twenties, like 90 is four-twenties ten.

Anyway, Ishihara is a racist pig. No one should take heed of anything that comes out of his mouth. Some Ishihara quotes:

- Regarding the Rape of Nanjing: "They say we made a holocaust there, but that is not true. It is a lie made up by the Chinese."

- In response to China's first successful launch of a man in space: "The Chinese are ignorant, so they are overjoyed. That spacecraft was an outdated one. If Japan wanted to do it, we could do it in one year."

- "There is a possibility that foreigners who reside illegally will do something out of hand (in the event of a natural disaster)."
Fullmetal Donut

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
I've been reading all of the posts on this thread and I'd just like to make something clear before I crap on Guv'na Ish.

Neither Mickey Mouse, nor Walt Disney was Tezuka's chief inspiration for his original manga style. Rather if you take a good gander, you'll realize that it was the Fleisher Brothers Max and David and their character Betty Boop who provided Tezuka with the appropriate stimuli. I know this because I learned it in my history of animation class.

As for Ishihara... yeah, nobody listens to old farts like that. Problem is when no one is inclined to speak-out against things like that either.
TwinSkies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:45 am Reply with quote
[quote="Zalis116"]Given his xenophobic and nationalistic views in general, this doesn't come as much of a surprise.

I'm pretty new to this post, but I was hoping if I could be enlightened regarding this little remark: Zalis, you seem to know a lot about this guy. Could you expound?

This will be my first post.

But while I'm here...

While I may not know too much about the governor who's said this remark...that was seriously out of line!

Promoting one's local culture should never be about lambasting another culture. If he didn't like Mickey Mouse, he should have just kept it to himself - using a press con just to say that reeks of political publicity, it stinks!

If he did anything, it was to show everybody the level of his bullheadedness, and leaves the voters just wondering how DID he get into office in the first place?

Ignorant bigotry like this seems to be running rampant these days - just look at the last remark made by the Iranian president regarding the Holocaust...see a pattern? Confused
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:46 am Reply with quote
OK, he's a racist, but why does he have to be hating on Mickey? If Kingdom Hearts 2 sales are any indication, Japan likes the Mouse.
TwinSkies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote
I get the feeling he was coddling the hardlining nationalists with that remark...it sounds like something their kind would have said.

"Sigh", cultural icons and politics...they're like oil and water... Sad
Truth_Teller

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:40 am Reply with quote
You are totally right. Modern Japanese animation has its roots from American animation...namely Disney animation. I read some books on the history and it was quite surprising how much anime has evolved since the early days of Japanese animation. The old anime masters were inspired by the rubberhose animation of disney cartoons and other earlier American work. If you look at early anime, the "big eye" mantra and early disney work have a lot of similarities. So for Ishihara to bash on Disney really shows his ignorance and lack of knowledge in this area.

penguintruth wrote:
Maybe he's right about Mickey not having the "Japanese sensibility", but perhaps he should look at the history of modern Japanese animation a little closer before he condemns the mouse.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:05 am Reply with quote
Now, now. We know Ishihara is a racist, but we can't force him taking his words back by ranting here. Even CEO of Tokyo Disneyland (it's actually located in Chiba Prefecture, not Tokyo) or Governor of Chiba Prefecture couldn't do that.

Yet there's one little four-year-old girl who can.

If she gets really mad about it, Ishihara might have to resign in order to show his apology.

Hint: She has no family name.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:40 am Reply with quote
Ishihara may have crossed certain boundaries but it's nothing to get him thrown out of office. He'll just be a little unpopular.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:56 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Ishihara may have crossed certain boundaries but it's nothing to get him thrown out of office. He'll just be a little unpopular.

Hmm. You didn't really pay much attention to what dormcat wrote, did you? Let's just try again:

dormcat wrote:
Yet there's one little four-year-old girl who can.

If she gets really mad about it, Ishihara might have to resign in order to show his apology.

Hint: She has no family name.

Still don't get it?

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
otacu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote
TcDohl wrote:
Ceru wrote:

O_o.
In French you count things the same way you count them in English... "one, two, three" ("un, deux, trois"). I can't think of a single incident where it'd be different.

Beyond that, the man is clearly an ignoramus anyway.

Actually, he was talking about when Ishihara was complaining the way that French counts things in twenties, like 90 is four-twenties ten.

Anyway, Ishihara is a racist pig. No one should take heed of anything that comes out of his mouth. Some Ishihara quotes:

- Regarding the Rape of Nanjing: "They say we made a holocaust there, but that is not true. It is a lie made up by the Chinese."

- In response to China's first successful launch of a man in space: "The Chinese are ignorant, so they are overjoyed. That spacecraft was an outdated one. If Japan wanted to do it, we could do it in one year."

- "There is a possibility that foreigners who reside illegally will do something out of hand (in the event of a natural disaster)."

He is just an idiot.
Thank heaven 99,99999% of the japanese people aren't like him..

And btw Donald Duck is much better than Mickey Mouse
vickeyv

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:45 am Reply with quote
I think the comment came out of contempt and resentment out of any thing. I think he is trying to say that Mickey Mouse doesnot represent any artistic merit and it got so popluar since it was the first large scale marketed Cartoon. Simple as that.
He does have a point. Just because its the first, doesnot mean that its the best.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8