• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Offers A Certain Magical Index II & Movie on Home Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Yes, it's such a huge loss when a 540p JC Staff series goes down a whole 60 horizontal pixels to DVD resolution.

It's shameful that Japan is still playing around with <1080p resolutions.

That said, 720*480 (dvd resolution) is 345,000 pixels.

What exactly is "540p"? Is it qHD (960*540; 518,400 pixels)? Is it another term for 1080i (1920*540; 1036800 pixels)? Those are some serious differences....?

I ask because I'm unfamiliar with a 16:9 resolution with 540 rows of pixels but only 60 more columns of pixels than DVD resolution.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
japan isn't the only one that does this

you think xbob 360 games are in full HD?
absolutely not, most are even less than 720
even most PS3 games fake it and are just upscaling the screen size

i'm pretty sure many american broadcast stations are still airing in 720

I'm assuming most ghibli films are in full HD
wolf and spice might be, im not sure
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:15 am Reply with quote
Is there any place or some way that I can easily learn what resolutions are used for what show? I think it would be pretty interesting to know what was used for the shows that I like and would help me in this sort of situation (choosing DVD vs BD).
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
majutsu season 2 is not an upscale
I do not know why you are saying this
it aired in 2010 and 2011

shana season 2 was done in wide screen but aired in 2007/2008
that might be questionable resolution quality

however, you seem to be implying that watching a video in a little 480p box is the only compromise
you are forgetting that DVDs have craptastic interlacing
if I took a crayola marker and scribbled on you face, would that be ok?

so why would you shrink a video, de-face it with interlacing lines (which any modern TV has no need for even using interlacing) and then claim the quality is 'almost' the same

it is not the same and majutsu 2 on DVD would absolutely be an inferior product

I only say this because after seeing seeing the DVDs (at 480p) on a 46-inch TV, and then seeing what the BDs looks like on the same screen, I could not see a discernible difference. If the DVD is mastered well (like the majority of FUNi DVD releases), they will look almost the exact same as an upscale will on a big screen. Taking into account the built-in upscaler on BD players, most players can upscale very close to the same quality as a "pre-done" upscale.

While Index II did air in HD, it is undoubtedly an upscale from 560p to 1080p - a similar situation to how (from what I've heard) the JPN BDs for Steins;gate were plagued by some unfortunate video issues. Just because a series aired in HD does not necessarily guarantee that the show was actually animated in "HD".

Honestly though, I don't know what you mean by interlacing issues. Unless you're talking about some of the craptastic video presentation that Media Blasters put together for their DVD releases, I have never seen those kinds of issues with FUNimation DVD releases.

Those kinds of issues are based in a number of factors, but it all depends on who is actually mastering the discs and the quality of the masters sent to the production company.

While Index II DVDs would technically be an "inferior" product, the difference in video quality would be negligible at best. You could make an argument that having the show on BD would mean possibly gaining a Lossless audio track, but there would be little difference in video quality.

tl;dr - It would be nice to get BDs for Index II (DVD/BD combo back FUNi?), but from my own experience with this show, I wouldn't lose any sleep over missing out on the BDs for this season.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
ZodiacBeast wrote:
Is there any place or some way that I can easily learn what resolutions are used for what show? I think it would be pretty interesting to know what was used for the shows that I like and would help me in this sort of situation (choosing DVD vs BD).

Usually blu ray websites/forums have that kind of information, but this question must be perfect for what Justin looks for on Answerman - he might be able to have a better insight into all of the more technical side of things than we would. Smile

EDIT: Also, not related to the resolution question, but something interesting that comes to mind when talking about how anime is produced:
http://washiblog.wordpress.com/2011/01/18/anime-production-detailed-guide-to-how-anime-is-made-and-the-talent-behind-it/
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Yes, it's such a huge loss when a 540p JC Staff series goes down a whole 60 horizontal pixels to DVD resolution.

FlamingFirewire wrote:
Also, when it comes to Railgun I and Index I+II, I really don't think BD is a worthwhile investment for FUNi - the series were animated far below 720p and the BDs for those seasons were subpar upscales anyways (Similar to Shana I+II BD releases, a series also animated by JC Staff around the same time).

This 540p myth keeps on being perpetrated, without any proof whatsoever. You absolutely cannot determine original resolution post-production. It's simply impossible.

The same was said about Bleach when they moved to HD broadcasts. It turns out, like most titles, it uses mixed asset or different digital cell/layer production resolution, but nonetheless the maximum resolution used for Bleach is actually..... wait for it, 1080p for backgrounds. This was relayed through CR through an official rep (TV Tokyo / Studio Pierrot)

Let's try a test, with another old J.C. Staff title: Twin Angel TV. Here, there is concrete proof from behind the scenes footage interview about the resolution they used for production. But without looking it up, do you still think it's 540p? 720p?

Last edited by configspace on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:28 am; edited 1 time in total
mgosdin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
I only say this because after seeing seeing the DVDs (at 480p) on a 46-inch TV, and then seeing what the BDs looks like on the same screen, I could not see a discernible difference. If the DVD is mastered well (like the majority of FUNi DVD releases), they will look almost the exact same as an upscale will on a big screen. Taking into account the built-in upscaler on BD players, most players can upscale very close to the same quality as a "pre-done" upscale.

This is where all the BD vs DVD discussions end up, Near Perfect VS Good Enough. A well mastered DVD on a modern upscaling player is Good Enough for most purposes. If your screen is not bigger than 40" or so then DVD and BD don't seem to be all that different.

What this means in general is that BD does not sell as well as it seems like it should and DVD isn't declining in the market in quite the way that it might have been expected to do.

I've not watched any of the Index / Railgun series, but now that there will be a complete run available I will put it on the buy list.

Mark Gosdin
Dan297na

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

dan297na wrote:
I hope they go with bluray, because I am done buying DVDs for modern series.

Just because you are ok with supporting an outdated dying format, don't expect other people to be ok with it. I'm not buying anything that has dumbed down quality, regardless of how minor the change is. If funi doesn't think it's financially worth it to put out a Blu Ray, I can understand that. However, I will feel no obligation to buy it on an outdated format.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:21 am Reply with quote
FlamingFirewire wrote:
It should also be understood that Index and Railgun were license carry overs from the Geneon USA closure caused by many issues and the Geneon-Universal merger in Japan. The only reason it took so long for us to get them was due to that merger - hence why extras and such that did not exist when the license was originally made with Geneon USA were not included with FUNi's release.

FUNimation announced Index and Railgun 2 years after Geneon USA closed. They were not included in the distribution deal (which happened before Index started airing).
The Geneon/universal merger caused the delay, but has nothing to do with what extras were included.

Echo_City wrote:
What exactly is "540p"? Is it qHD (960*540; 518,400 pixels)? Is it another term for 1080i (1920*540; 1036800 pixels)? Those are some serious differences....?

I first came across the term for Fullmetal Alchemist, which was determined by anibin analysis to have a maximum level of detail of 960x540 pixels. Don't ask me how the analysis works, I don't know.

configspace wrote:
The same was said about Bleach when they moved to HD broadcasts. It turns out, like most titles, it uses mixed asset or different digital cell/layer production resolution, but nonetheless the maximum resolution used for Bleach is actually..... wait for it, 1080p for backgrounds. This was relayed through CR through an official rep (TV Tokyo / Studio Pierrot)

Backgrounds are a completely different process to the cells. They could be natural media, computer drawn or full CGI. Doesn't stop the actual animation being matted on top from having jaggies.

Quote:
Let's try a test, with another old J.C. Staff title: Twin Angel TV. Here, there is concrete proof from behind the scenes footage interview about the resolution they used for production. But without looking it up, do you still think it's 540p? 720p?

here is a document from the Satellite production Kiddy Girl-and that details the resolutions used by the Shiage department when scanning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Some shows being 540p doesn't mean all still are. I believe the Nyaruko sequel and Henneko were determined to be 1080p.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
*Looks at all the dvd/blu-ray scale talk* Shocked

...uh...YEAH THEY GOT THE MOVIE TOO! AWESOME!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Nayu wrote:
Sorry Funimation, you've done me wrong. I still pay you, but seriously, you need to do a replacement on Railgun (Sissy is unforgivable) and need to release Index on BD.
Okay, language expert, how should they have handled Kuroko calling Mikoto "Onee-sama"? Go the Sentai route and just leave it as-is in the subs and the English dub? I wasn't paying as much attention back then, but I don't recall as much outrage over Funi doing the same thing with Kisa and Tohru in Fruits Basket.

Though I'm going to guess, as with most complaints of this nature, that the response will be "Well I don't know what they should've done and I don't have any better ideas, but I'm going to be indignant anyway."

configspace wrote:

This 540p myth keeps on being perpetrated, without any proof whatsoever. You absolutely cannot determine original resolution post-production. It's simply impossible.
Probably true, but riddle me this: why have various Blu-Ray ripping groups, who know more about Blu-Rays and video than I do and want to push the envelope by putting out the highest-quality release they can, released these JC Staff shows (including Railgun I, Index I/II, Shana I/II, Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Maid-sama, Amagami SS, Twin Angel, etc.) at a maximum of 720p? Because one or both of the following is true:

1) The Blu-Rays are overly blurry or otherwise subpar in their mastering.
2) There's no perceivable difference between 720p and 1080p except additional filesize bloat.

Quote:
The same was said about Bleach when they moved to HD broadcasts. It turns out, like most titles, it uses mixed asset or different digital cell/layer production resolution, but nonetheless the maximum resolution used for Bleach is actually..... wait for it, 1080p for backgrounds.
I know that can be the case, but the end result of downscaling content like that is that a few irrelevant background details might get blurred out. Though I know that's a huge blow for the sizable audience that watches anime for wood grains and rock textures.

Quote:
I have heard that it's higher than 720p, but I guess "old" means "newer than Index II or any of the other shows we've been talking about"?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Good thing I haven't had chance to open the first series as I can now wait for this release and marathon Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Some shows being 540p doesn't mean all still are. I believe the Nyaruko sequel and Henneko were determined to be 1080p.

Agreed.

As an aside, rather than it only being on Funi, wasn't this one of the titles that the Japanese publisher refused to allow Funi to put on BD yet and is enforcing them to wait, like many shows from this same publisher. I seem to still remember an article about this.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Nayu wrote:
Sorry Funimation, you've done me wrong. I still pay you, but seriously, you need to do a replacement on Railgun (Sissy is unforgivable) and need to release Index on BD.
Okay, language expert, how should they have handled Kuroko calling Mikoto "Onee-sama"?

Just about anything else. "Onee-sama". "Sis". "Sister". "Proton". "Yellowfin Tuna". "Knight who says 'ni'".

Because... well, because.

(Note that definition #4 isn't in common use unless you're about 90 years old, or in some part of the English-speaking world I'm unfamiliar with. I had one great-aunt (RIP) who called my grandmother (RIP) "sissy" in the familial sense. That's the only place I've heard it in that sense IRL.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5