• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamigami no Asobi (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The teacher already ragequited from the classroom on the first day? Sheez what a lightweight Razz

Seems his trait is constantly pinning Yui against the wall trying to show his superiority. What a dickhead Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
BTW did anyone else note the fishy way in which both Japanese gods got their names changed? No one's calling them Tsukuyomi or Susanoo anymore, but those completely boring names they came up with.

Changing those names instead of just adding a surname does seem odd, but so far, it looks like all the names have mythological meanings.

Kusanagi is clearly named for the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi (Grass Cutting Sword), one of the three Imperial Regalia (and iirc, the sword she activated, though it's absurd for it to have ever been in her possession, since no one is even allowed to see it to confirm its existence). Interestingly, the sword was first acquired by Susanoo from inside the 4th tail of an 8-headed snake he'd killed. The sword was later given to...wait for it...Yamato Takeru, who used it to save himself from an ambush by cutting the burning grasses and sending the fires back on his attackers. He was the one who gave its current name (originally named Ame-no-Murakumo-no-Tsurugi).

The surname Totsuka probably refers to Susanoo's personal sword, the Totsuka-no-Tsurugi, with which he slew the snake. Tsukito obviously derives from the moon, but there's probably more to it than that that I couldn't track down.

Apollon's Agana Belea (not Berea) is a reference to the bow and arrows of Apollo and Artemis, and from what little i can find, was considered to confer a painless death.

Idoneus should probably be Aidoneus, which is a poetic form of one of the early forms of Hades' name.

Hringhorni was Baldr's great ship.

Loki's name depends on which is the correct romanization I think. If it's supposed to be Leviathan, that's probably a reference to Jörmungandr, one of Loki's children. If it's supposed to be Laevatein, then it would be the sword Lævateinn, which was forged by Loki. Given the weapons and accessories theme, I'd say the latter is most likely.

Megingyoruzu or Megingjard looks like alternate spellings of megingjörð, Thor's magic belt.

Anubis was known for weighing souls against the heart of Ma'at, the goddess of justice (and female counterpart to Thoth).

Thoth Caduceus is a bit roundabout. The Greeks reckoned Thoth was the same guy as their Hermes, and of course the Caduceus was Hermes' staff.

The Thyrsos was a wand used by Dionysus and his followers when partying, made of a giant fennel stalk, with ivy and a ribbon wrapped around it and topped with a pine cone. The phallic imagery is intentional. Wink Rumor has it that Dionysus sometimes hid iron points in the tip to turn it into a weapon.

Keraunos is Greek for thunderbolt, which of course was Zeus's gig.

So in a way, you could look at it like Susanoo and Tsukuyomi got special treatment by getting two symbolic names and not just one. Wink

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
@ Gina Szanboti

Thanks for the informative post. The only mythology I have any sort of significant knowledge about is Greek. I know a little about Egyptian because a friend was really into it when we were younger.

All this talk about mythology reminds me that I still need to read my copy of Bulfinch's Mythology.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Glad you enjoyed it. As I said before, I like looking this stuff up for myself, and posting it just makes it easy to find what I learned when I forget later on. Smile But I realized I got confused between Tsukuyomi and Susanoo while writing, so I've corrected that. Embarassed
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Ep 4

Sparkles. Sparkles everywhere. This show is so freaking ridiculous but I LOVE it.

The fact that Hades likes making puns is great.

You can make a drinking game out of this show:

-every time Hades says misfortune
-every time Thoth pins Yui against something.
-random cameo by Anubis
-every tine Apollo calls Yui a Fairy
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Part of the episode reminded me of the anime spoiler[Free!]. Preview for S2!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:

I usually just roll my eyes over that move, but in this it's hilarious, probably because of its predictability and the accompanying dramatic sound effect. Fwwwoooomp!!

Ok, is it just me or were those the most suggestive rice cakes ever? Embarassed

I really am enjoying the hell out of this. It's such effortless entertainment. No puzzles to piece together, no making sense of anything, no trying to remember the names of all the characters (for me this is huge), no trying to figure out what the hell I'm looking at on the screen because Art and bad eyes. Just brainless fun. I need that once in awhile. Very Happy

I expect wine grapes within three episodes...
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I really am enjoying the hell out of this. It's such effortless entertainment. No puzzles to piece together, no making sense of anything, no trying to remember the names of all the characters (for me this is huge), no trying to figure out what the hell I'm looking at on the screen because Art and bad eyes. Just brainless fun. I need that once in awhile. Very Happy

This is the first otome adaption that I've really enjoyed. In my opinion, one of the things going for it is Yui. She just doesn't annoy me like pretty much all of the other otome heroines.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Yeah, this is actually pretty entertaining, it all seems to be working with the guys being somewhat ridiculous, and all having some fun, and Yui shows signs of not being too passive. Hades episode was a plus.

When they were saying that he liked spoiler[either rice cakes or strawberries], my response was that he would probably lose it if spoiler[she put them both together], and yes it actually happened.

Is it kind of odd that a God of the arts would decide to do sports over any art clubs?
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:41 am Reply with quote
Only seen the first episode so far with a friend, but we enjoyed what we saw in a corny but good way. The main girl actually has a spine and the mixture of different gods could bring in some decent setup later. It also seems like it has a budget, unlike Neo Angelique Abyss.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote
Agreeing with everyone that this show is very entertaining. It's light-hearted, all the guys are amusing and Yui isn't a complete doormat like a lot of the other heroines in these kind of shows which is very refreshing.

Hades' face when she gave him the spoiler[strawberry daifuku] was the best. And the guys were finally able to use their swimwear Very Happy

Think we're getting a Takeru episode next week.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Takeru seems to be the odd one out this time.
He sure has a difficult personality.
Yui was having trouble with persuading him.
Going one on one with him was interesting to watch.
Guess everyone melts eventually...
Damn, that Zeus can really be a pain sometimes.
I'm glad the whole class decided to make a stand.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:

-random cameo by Anubis

Check on all four this episode! Very Happy

I'm really liking how Hades and Tsukuyomi are sort of bonding.

As best I can tell, the goddess referred to in this episode was Ōgetsuhime (aka Uke Mochi, and sometimes Inari or the wife of Inari's male aspect), the goddess of grains and other munchies.

One version of the story goes that Susanoo was such an annoying crybaby for his mother that he was kicked out of Heaven to go visit her in the Underworld and give them some peace. Before he left, he went to say goodbye to his sister Amaterasu, but he caused such a ruckus in his approach that she thought she was being attacked. They held a god-creating contest and he claimed he won, then, not being a graceful winner, went on a rampage and destroyed her rice fields, shit on her temple, threw a skinned pony at her loom and either killed one of her weaving maids or caused her to commit suicide (by stabbing her genitals with a shuttle? Doesn't sound like suicide to me...). Amaterasu holed up in her cave for awhile, and when they got her out they totally expelled Susanoo from Heaven after cutting off his beard and pulling out his fingernails.

Anyway, on his way to visit mom, he asked Ōgetsuhime for some food. The problem was that she produced the food from her nose, mouth and ass, and he was so disgusted that he killed her (another version says she spit a fish into the sea to feed Tsukuyomi and spewed animals into the forest for Susanoo, and then coughed up a bowl of rice). Either way, it's hard to blame him, although he could have just refused the meal. Smile Btw, after he killed her, her body produced silkworms, rice, millet, soybeans and barley from various orifices, which another god used to plant.

Then he ran into the couple who needed their daughter saved from the 8-headed dragon Yamata no Orochi where he got the Kusanagi sword (which he gave to Amaterasu later to make amends), and got married to the daughter. I don't know if he ever made it to see his mother or not. Some stories have him becoming a lord of the Underworld, which would suggest he did.

Anyway, they seemed to have softened up the story a bit (not sure where the shoving her off a cliff thing came from), and he does have his kind and loveable side in the myths, but it is true that he wasn't exactly trusted among the other gods, probably because they never knew what would set him off. He's not a storm god for nothing. Smile
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
No sparkles this episode which kind of disappoints me. It was a good episode though and Yui is great.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
phia_one wrote:

-random cameo by Anubis

Check on all four this episode! Very Happy

If this keeps up then it wouldn't be a good idea to watch the whole series in one sitting Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Thoth is totally okay with spoiler[the two being in the Going Home Club]. Laughing He has also become quite humorous with his continued pinning of Yui which has become silly, and his nicknames for everyone were great.

Also Hades spoiler[beat Zeus] by using spoiler[his pride], definitely good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8