• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Delays Multiple DVD, Blu-ray Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donpablo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:08 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Better. Late. Than. Never.

Some of us are still waiting for Shana II, which hasn't seen any news since FUNimation announced the license.

I know right! It's been what feels like ages since they announced that license and have heard nothing. I just hope maybe they haven't reconsidered and dumped it...
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:17 am Reply with quote
Dam it I've been waiting for Spice and Wolf 2 and now I got to wait longer Funi is really starting to piss me off here
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:24 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
I haven't confirmed with Funi directly, but pretty sure they're spreading out their schedule of mostly-done stuff because it's really tough getting masters out of Japan right now, due to the worldwide HD-CAM tape shortage. Some studios now only have ONE SINGLE COPY of some shows, and are so freaked out about something happening to them that they won't even let them leave their offices, let alone the country.

This is affecting everyone outside Japan right now. Expect more delays for already-announced stuff, and an even longer wait for announced shows to show up on the schedule.

Wow. That's odd. What would cause such a tape shortage though?
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
jsevakis wrote:
I haven't confirmed with Funi directly, but pretty sure they're spreading out their schedule of mostly-done stuff because it's really tough getting masters out of Japan right now, due to the worldwide HD-CAM tape shortage. Some studios now only have ONE SINGLE COPY of some shows, and are so freaked out about something happening to them that they won't even let them leave their offices, let alone the country.

This is affecting everyone outside Japan right now. Expect more delays for already-announced stuff, and an even longer wait for announced shows to show up on the schedule.

Wow. That's odd. What would cause such a tape shortage though?

The sole source of that tape was a single factory in Japan. Which was hit by the recent earthquake + tsunami disaster. A classic example of why systems with a single point of failure are an extremely bad idea.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
The only thing that affects me is the S&W II LE, but I can live for a few weeks without it. It'll give me time to rewatch season I beforehand.

I can't rewatch the first season until they ship it, and it was delayed to the same new date as S&W2.

Well, I might still have the fansubs sitting around here somewhere...
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:13 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Thank you for being the actual "Voice of Reason" in the thread. Knowing there is a legitimate, non-financial reason for Funi to delay their releases makes me feel a bit better, but seeing that I have to wait another two weeks for the next set of YYH makes me sad inside. I can wait for FMA:B 5 and Soul Eater Weapon Collection as I haven't started either of those series yet, but YYH, man... I want my YYH. Anime cry
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:42 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know Spice and Wolf 2 was set for a Funimation DVD release. I'm looking forward to it.

I think Justin mentioned the tape shortage on ANNCast shortly after the quake.

Dying before I get to see the anime? If that happened to me there'd be a LOT of things I'd regret missing out on other than just one show. For starters there are so many other shows I haven't seen. And games I haven't played. And delicious foods I have yet to eat! /Lina_Inverse_emulation.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
all these shows aired last year or even longer

regardless of whatever production shortages, I dont see why copies weren't prepared long ago
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
all these shows aired last year or even longer

regardless of whatever production shortages, I don't see why copies weren't prepared long ago

You misunderstand. THESE discs are probably already in various stages of being completed. However, since they're not getting materials for new stuff fast enough, they have to space out their releases more, or come fall they'll have nothing to release and will starve to death in the winter.*

*they will not starve to death
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
The sole source of that tape was a single factory in Japan. Which was hit by the recent earthquake + tsunami disaster. A classic example of why systems with a single point of failure are an extremely bad idea.

Indeed. Had anyone known that was the case I don't think the entire broadcast industry would've invested in it so heavily, but it's not really the sort of thing you normally think about when evaluating a tape format.

"Waaaitaminute. How many factories do you have making blank tapes, and how likely are they to be hit by a natural disaster?"
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Something I wondered when the problem first came up - can't they just copy the contents onto a HD array and send the tapes back for re-use?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:15 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

I can varify that as well. Sadly the factory that made HD-Cam and HD-Cam SR tapes was wiped clean off the ground by that tsunami in Sandai. so every TV and film production facility working in HD are seeing their stocks depleat at a rapid pace , and are now cutting back as much as they can to ration what still exists, but once that is gone everyone is going to be forced to resurrect their old Digi Beta SD equipment, which would have it own stock issues with every one moving to HD or resort to film, or move on to the next "Big Thing" in creation and content handling, which is "tapeless", or everything converted to data streams connected to vast networks of servers and hard drives. Wink
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:37 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Indeed. Had anyone known that was the case I don't think the entire broadcast industry would've invested in it so heavily, but it's not really the sort of thing you normally think about when evaluating a tape format.

One problem with your premise, Justin, is that since a while ago Funimation is perfectly capable of getting digital prores files instead of actual tape copies.
If there's only 1 master, then all they need to do is digitize it in Japan and send over the files, for about the same cost as making a copy and shipping it.
I don't know this for sure or not, but I think this is in fact the preferred method for them to get masters now...
A tape shortage shouldn't cause any delay with this method. (although I suppose there are licensors who would not know how to do it).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

One problem with your premise, Justin, is that since a while ago Funimation is perfectly capable of getting digital prores files instead of actual tape copies.
If there's only 1 master, then all they need to do is digitize it in Japan and send over the files, for about the same cost as making a copy and shipping it.
I don't know this for sure or not, but I think this is in fact the preferred method for them to get masters now...
A tape shortage shouldn't cause any delay with this method. (although I suppose there are licensors who would not know how to do it).
One problem with that is they won't get time code information needed to do editing with record time sheets. They would have to have a satelite receiver system that is linked to the Sat Broadcast Network where they could pull it off a bird into an ingest room with a time code generator to burn on to a tape in Houston, or, if they don't have that facility, arrange a deal with a Houston broadcaster to do that for them.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:58 am Reply with quote
While things may be different in regards to dub production, bear in mind that Sam has done subtitles for FUNimation shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3