• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual to Release Gunbuster

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Ooooh, a fellow TMBG fan! Nice! Good morning, how are you, it's....

dr. worm wrote:
Actually the Bandai that TRSI does studio sales for (Bandai Entertainment?) does not include the Bandia that is releasing Gunbuster (Bandia Visual).

Really? Well, crap, that's no good! i guess I can just hold out hope that TRSI also does sales for Bandai Visual, since they do sales for pretty much every manufacturer, even Synch Point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It convinced ADV to get Abenobashi

Based on what? Is there an actual link, besides production companies, that Abenobashi was picked up because of nadia? I'd like to read about it.

Quote:
If not, the Atlantis controversy probably helped.

The Atlantis problem was specifically for interbutt nerds and I don't really think beared much relevence outside of itself.

Quote:
And that differs from Evangelion, because...? (I AM A HUGE TOOL)

It doesn't. Eva is milked by nerds, for nerds, etc, except Eva has had considerably more coverage and exposure than Gunbuster. So ummm... what was the point?

Quote:
Well I guess it would be cheaper than FLCL, but I still think it'd make money.

And that's what they are trying to do, make money. JEEEEEEEEZ.
Tensaku

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Well I know that I'm going to be buying this because I love Gunbuster.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Steve:
Quote:
Based on what? Is there an actual link, besides production companies, that Abenobashi was picked up because of nadia? I'd like to read about it.

Dunno if there's a link, but who the hell would pick up a show like Abenobashi, even during the recent boom, if there wasn't some money made off a more accesable show like Nadia?

Quote:
The Atlantis problem was specifically for interbutt nerds and I don't really think beared much relevence outside of itself.

It made it into mainstream entertainment columns, and that's what counts.

Quote:
It doesn't. Eva is milked by nerds, for nerds, etc, except Eva has had considerably more coverage and exposure than Gunbuster. So ummm... what was the point?

The point being that Eva's so famous that anything associated with it should at least do better than average in sales.

Quote:

And that's what they are trying to do, make money. JEEEEEEEEZ.

I just think they can make more money at least attempting to dub it, and sell it individually.Bandai Visual seems to have more confidence in the Patlabor movies than Gunbuster.
Iria51

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
This is good news for Old School anime fans. Does anyone know if someone has picked up the second series?
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Steve:
Quote:

Dunno if there's a link, but who the hell would pick up a show like Abenobashi, even during the recent boom, if there wasn't some money made off a more accesable show like Nadia?

Nadia was licensed and released before Abenobashi was even made. And the treatment given to the DVD release of Abenobashi proves they wanted that title. You don't do that kind of stuff for something you just had to take to get something else.

And a "show like Abenobashi"? It was wacky comedy and it was made by GAINAX. Why wouldn't they want it?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Really, I don't care about money for buying this set at all. It's just good to know that there is a solid release date so us few but limited fans who want the bloody OVA can all mark/circle/cross out/draw little hearts over February 20th. To all of those complaining about the price tag: BE GRATEFUL, DRONES!

JELEINEN wrote:
Now if only we'd finally get a good DVD release of Honneamise...

I would certainly think/hope so considering that the name of the distributor for both Gunbuster and the first two Patlabor films is "Honneamise." Odder (and more disappointing) things have happened before, though...
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You don't do that kind of stuff for something you just had to take to get something else.

You lost me there. Be specific, k, thanks. Cool

Quote:
And a "show like Abenobashi"? It was wacky comedy and it was made by GAINAX. Why wouldn't they want it?

I'm guessing for the same reason they didn't want Mahoromatic.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
You don't do that kind of stuff for something you just had to take to get something else.

You lost me there. Be specific, k, thanks. Cool

Each DVD came with reversible covers, 8 page "Abeno Times" booklets, ADVidnotes, scripted outtakes... it had tons of extras.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm guessing for the same reason they didn't want Mahoromatic.

Obviously Geneon did, so it wasn't like no one wanted it. It's quite possible they wanted it but simply couldn't secure the rights for it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri:
Quote:
Each DVD came with reversible covers, 8 page "Abeno Times" booklets, ADVidnotes, scripted outtakes... it had tons of extras.

I understand that. What I meant was to please explain your argument.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Stop calling me Steve. I don't work in a steel mill, silly.

GATSU wrote:

Excel Saga, as well as other "silly crazy omg semi-parody wacky!" Anime are similar to Abenobashi, which seems to be ADV's niche nowerdays (or was then, at least). Nadia and Abenobashi are really, really different so I doubt one would've had much influence over the other, except maybe stronger bonds with Gainax/whoever.

Quote:
It made it into mainstream entertainment columns, and that's what counts.

I seriously don't think it would've been given too much in the way of concern though, nor would it have garnered many more sales for Nadia, because it was still a 10 volume, $20 a pop Japanese cartoon which wasn't on TV. Didn't Atlantis flop anyway? (OT)

Quote:
The point being that Eva's so famous that anything associated with it should at least do better than average in sales.

If that's the case, who's to say that there won't be advertisements or stickers saying "From the Whoever of Evangelion!" on it? Not having a dub doesn't stop that, and it's not the issue.

Quote:
I just think they can make more money at least attempting to dub it, and sell it individually.Bandai Visual seems to have more confidence in the Patlabor movies than Gunbuster.

Well, here's the thing-

No M&E track for Gunbuster
M&E track for new Patlabor 5.1 tracks

They could go and try to recreate the M&E track, but since they didn't even bother doing it in Japan to get a 5.1 track for Gunbuster, what's the point in a US company trying? Generally when a US company has tried to reverse engineer Japanese tracks for 5.1 or whatever else, the result is a lackluster, tinny sounding wreck.

I mean, as much as you think it will, pimping Evangelion can only take you so far. If you were to release it individually, you'd get people to check out the first volume, assuming they didn't get put off by how old it'd look on the cover. But what if they didn't like old stuff, and they were lumped with an old show? What if the content isn't Eva enough? You've lost a whole bunch of sales for volumes 2 (or 2 and 3). Sure, there is potential to get more people buying it, but there's also a lot more potential for people to not buy, or not meet up to expectations. Putting it out this way secures atleast a decent market that, should they buy it, are stuck with it. There's considerably less risk, and considering they've evaluated that rebuilding the M&E track and hiring people to do the dub for it is not worth it (IE they haven't bothered doing it), I'm just going to trust them on this.
condorfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:18 am Reply with quote
Quote: My understanding is that there are no original masters available, so the Japanese dialogue is on the same track as the sound effects and music. Correct me if I'm wrong....

Is that why some of the stuff from the 80s and early 90s isn't making it over here? because of the audio track 'problem'? I can see that being a factor in some of the distributors/etc not wanting to 'take a chance' on 'older' anime that can't be dubbed properly...
But this is GUNBUSTER we're talking about! Smile We're buying the DVD; if we find it cheaper, that's great, but even $65 is worth it. Any extras that weren't on the original release are bonuses. And our old U.S. Renditions tapes won't hold up the way a remastered, freshly-subbed DVD can. If there's a dub, great, but our daughter (not quite reading yet) is fine with subs as long as someone whispers to her what's going on.

--C
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
condorfan wrote:
our daughter (not quite reading yet) is fine with subs as long as someone whispers to her what's going on.

That sounds absolutely adorable. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3