• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Disc issues aside, Viz's release of this title in its limited edition is a nice package, with a chipboard box, an artbook with episode summaries and character information,

I haven't bought it yet as I'm just waiting for a rightstuf sale, but did Viz's artbook include the small color manga:
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/09/26/suisei-no-gargantia-ero-manga-now-in-color/
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/09/28/suisei-no-gargantia-amy-bathing-in-color/
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/10/29/ledo-gets-to-see-amys-naked-body/

or the more risque artwork included in the Japanese BD booklets like this? http://imgur.com/a/PCsl2

Quote:
One of the more irritating is that the subtitles on the bluray are nigh impossible to read, being white and in a small font. The DVD subtitles are a larger font and have a noticeable black stroke around them, but the picture is, as you would expect, of a lesser quality.

I wonder if they used the same subs on the Japanese BDs. Did it look like: http://i.imgur.com/HGH3myM.jpg
I think they were also too small, too low and needs a thicker border to be read quickly.

Quote:
The Japanese language track on both bluray and DVD has sound issues, with the audio fading in and out a bit and the sound effects much louder than the dialogue in general.

From what you're describing, it sounds like they reconstructed the Japanese audio track from the Japanese dialogue and separate M&E tracks used for their English dub but didn't mix it properly. Mad They should've just used original Japanese Stereo mixdown.

Sakura Shinguji wrote:
Fronzel wrote:
Well, Viz is just batting a thousand recently, aren't they?

I really am going to have to start keeping a list of releases too damaged to be worth buying.

Let's also keep in mind that one more problem with this Viz release that the review does not mention is apparent compression artifacts in the Blu-ray video.

It appears Viz turned up the gamma or adjusted the color curves, which not only ruins the contrast and results in some color bleeding, but also results in more apparent artifacting with some noise and blocking after compression, compared to the Japanese blu-rays: http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/93849

Quote:
This is something that Viz is *entirely* responsible for, and *can* fix if they so choose, because it's the fault of the authoring house, Subatomic Digital, that they're using for most of their releases. Either get that place to shape up, or switch to a new one.

The awkward ANNCast seems to indicate that they're not planning on doing any such thing as switching though, so prepare for more subpar authoring from Subatomic coming soon.

Justin Sevakis had worked on a few Blu-ray releases for Viz. It's a shame he couldn't have worked on all the rest, too.

Yes. This!
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
It's just that the whole spoiler[monsters are misunderstood ] thing has become the norm now, and its repeated use is getting pretty tiring. You can have humanized monsters/bad guys who are still, you know, absolutely-terrible people. Just look at the Nazis.

As long as racism and nationalism and all their -ism siblings continue to exist, this trope will continue to be a thing.

Other than the transvestite scene(s), which were stupid and kind of ironic considering the main theme of the show, I didn't have much to complain about with this series. It wasn't perfect, but was about as well-crafted as you could hope for with (apparently) 5 different writers making an anime-original plot. Seems like one of those cases where half the viewers didn't get what they expected/wanted, and unconsciously decided to tear it to shreds.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
I felt the quality of this series drop as episode wore on. It didn't explore the world as it could have, either Ledo's or Earth.

In addition, I felt that the revelation that spoiler[whalesquids used to be humans was forced inso that audiences/Ledo would feel for them. Ledo would not have given a second thought to massacring them all if he didn't learn they had human predecessors. It gives off this impression that, even if they are sapient and advanced, it's fine to kill them. But oh no they're related to human woah! ]

Even better is that the whalesquid aren't like the usual alien races, bipedal and capable of obvious speech. They are different in form, grotesque to the human eye. spoiler[But apparently undeserving of consideration without human lineage.] Writers really missed the mark there.

Other than that, the show was...okay. Not something I really cared for, even if the moral stances and transvestite caricatures were to be removed. Sad to see VIZ mess up the video quality.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:38 am Reply with quote
I've got the Australian release of the show which Hanabee authored themselves so I didn't experience the same problems. And even if I did I already watched it subbed back when it was airing so it was the dubbed version I watched when I bought it.

It kind of sucks paying $60 for a barebones Blu-ray but I was fine given that:

a) I hadn't watched the two OVAs yet
b) I really like the show; and
c) The dub is fantastic.

As for the show itself it's nowhere near Madoka Magica or Fate/Zero levels of genius but both the light hearted slice of life bits and the more serious parts written by The Uroutcher himself were fanastic. It's exactly what I needed to regain my confidence for Urobuchi's future works after the disappointment of Psycho Pass (Although I do admit in comparison to Psycho Pass 2 without Urobuchi it's practically a masterpiece)

Alan Lee is a newcomer but I felt he was about on par with Kaito Ishikawa's performance in the Japanese. Sugita and Mercer are both awesome as Chamber so no complaints from me on that end. Hisako Kanemoto is absolutely adorable as Amy and while I wasn't quite as fond of Cassandra Morris I still think she did a great job. Patrick Seitz was great, hearing Natalie Hoover was great too since I've been playing Danganronpa 2 a lot recently. I didn't think too much of his performance in the series but Mark Driarson was great as Kugel as were all of the characters who popped up in the OVAs.

It's a great dub for a great show so overall I'm glad I picked it up.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I haven't bought it yet as I'm just waiting for a rightstuf sale, but did Viz's artbook include the small color manga:
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/09/26/suisei-no-gargantia-ero-manga-now-in-color/
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/09/28/suisei-no-gargantia-amy-bathing-in-color/
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/10/29/ledo-gets-to-see-amys-naked-body/

or the more risque artwork included in the Japanese BD booklets like this? http://imgur.com/a/PCsl2

No. It's just episode summaries and character concept art.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Thanks Vaisaga.
What about the subs, were they like this snapshot?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:29 am Reply with quote
Sounds like Viz is on a roll with their bad Blu-Ray quality. Shame.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Thanks Vaisaga.
What about the subs, were they like this snapshot?

They lacked the black outline on the bluray. That's how they looked on the DVD.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:21 am Reply with quote
Just to point out that the Japanese blurays all have english subtitles on them (and good quality <- i.e. my team made them, easily readable ones at that!)

There should continue to be subs on all Japanese ova bluray releases as well.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
@ Princess_Irene thanks for the info. Yeah, the lack borders would make it impossible to read on all but a dark background. Someone messed up in the subtitle rendering, but you'd think it would be caught if the final QA.

@samuelp, I appreciate the work you guys did and like the translation, but I still prefer Crunchyroll's typesetting: http://i.imgur.com/346YMLw.jpg

I've also come to appreciate Sentai's chunky classic yellow subs (but I wish those have a thicker border too), since it provides high contrast for quick reading. The fact that they're "ugly" and stand out mean less focusing on the letters for me.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
And the whole "it was his first role!" doesn't really work since Ishikawa was also very green when Gargantia was aired back in 2013.

Two fresh faces yet such an astronomical difference in their acting... Shocked

Kaito Ishikawa isn't exactly a standout voice actor. He sounds like every other generic teen male character voice I've heard. So he doesn't get any points for being unique or sounding different from the norm.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the more irritating is that the subtitles on the bluray are nigh impossible to read, being white and in a small font.

It sounds like a case of someone using a computer screen right in front of their face as a test of readability. There was this very same issue with Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, which got even worse with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed--the text in those games were white and so small, they were near-unreadable on an SD screen and still required squinting on an HD screen. When they had tested for image clarity on a TV, the people testing it were already familiar with the in-game text and thus didn't really have to read it. The text also mostly lacked the black borders--while this was fine with loading screens and such , where the background is a vivid blue, it was a problem with light-colored environments.

I would bet this is the exact same issue: Someone at Viz in charge of the subtitles' font, size, and color probably wanted something that was unintrusive and/or allowed them to fit a lot of words onscreen at once and made them as small as possible without considering that if you're watching it from a TV, you're going to be at least several feet away.

GVman wrote:
And I also don't understand why everyone was so angry with Ledo. Apparently, when you're about to get raped, the correct response is to let it happen. Heaven forbid someone kills the rapist when trying to help the rapee escape. Poor rapist; he was only trying to commit the most heinous act a human being can do to another.

Is that what happened in that scene? (I haven't seen this show.) Because I know rape has traditionally had a much different social response in Japan than the west, where the victim is frequently blamed for making themselves a target and that the rapist can even testify against the victim in court.

Hellwarden wrote:
That's because, quite frankly, Funi doesn't screw up as bad as Viz and Sentai do. They make mistake, don't get me wrong, but they usually note and work with their fans on them. Viz isn't gonna correct their recent Sailor Moon release, and they're not gonna correct this.

Also, I imagine when one releases a subtitled show, proper readable subtitles should probably be, I don't know, pretty high on the list of things that you should never screw up.

For the reasons I explained above, tiny subtitles are quite a recurring problem--I don't know how common they are for anime, but it pops up a lot in video games.

When I addressed this problem with Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, Steve Lycett, the director of the game, personally replied back to me telling me to get a better television and that he had no problems reading the text.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Just to point out that the Japanese blurays all have english subtitles on them (and good quality <- i.e. my team made them, easily readable ones at that!)

There should continue to be subs on all Japanese ova bluray releases as well.

Good work, I have all three JP BD sets and the first OVA is set to ship in just over a week, can't wait Very Happy!

For anyone interested in the sets; they're just amazing. The video quality is AAA++ and there's 6 100p+ books included as well, filled to the brim with stuff. If you can't read Japanese there's still like 600 pages of storyboards to enjoy + other artwork in the Logbooks Smile!

E: Everything that is subbed on the Viz release is also subbed on the JP release!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Because I know rape has traditionally had a much different social response in Japan than the west, where the victim is frequently blamed for making themselves a target and that the rapist can even testify against the victim in court.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here by the "can even testify." It's a foundational part of western (and other) justice systems that accused have a right to confront their accusers and other witnesses against them in court. Both the US Constitution (Amendment 6) and the Constitution of Japan (Article 37) explicitly protect that, as does the European Convention on Human Rights (Article 6(3)(d)) So I don't know what you think is different between Japan and the west with that.

I strongly believe that is possible to take rape seriously as a crime without blaming victims, and still preserve the right to confront witnesses.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
What I mean is that in Japan, the rapist can argue in court that the victim made herself (or himself) an alluring target, and the victim would then be considered at blame for doing so.

Or am I confusing this with Italy? I know there was a case in Italy where a rape argued in court that the victim's tight-fitting jeans made her look too attractive to him and thus he had to have her. The judge ruled in favor of the rapist, and the victim had to pay compensation to him for causing his impulses to go out of control.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5