• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Gundam's Yoshiyuki Tomino Shares Thoughts on Working with Attack on Titan's Tetsuro Araki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
Tomino's quote contains no subject in Japanese (a fairly common heachache in J-E translation).

Linguist Kanaya Takehiro even wrote a book titled 『日本語に主語はいらない 百年の誤謬を正す』. w

Jippensha Ikku wrote:
武藏野の尾花がすゑにかゝる白雲と詠しは、むかし〱浦の苫屋、鴫たつ澤の夕暮に愛て、仲の町の夕景色をしらざる時のことなりし。

So, an English-speaking translator cannot help adding subjects to this? Alas, it would kill the fluency and exquisiteness.

vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:58 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Linguist Kanaya Takehiro even wrote a book titled 『日本語に主語はいらない 百年の誤謬を正す』. w

"Japanese Doesn't Need Subjects - Correcting a 100 Year Misconception" I took a look on Amazon; it sounds interesting. So basically, he's saying that a century of Japanese students studying English grammar has given rise to the (false) ideas that Japanese sentences are illogical without subjects, and that the subject is often "omitted" in Japanese (when it was never really needed to begin with)?
hyojodoji wrote:

Jippensha Ikku wrote:
武藏野の尾花がすゑにかゝる白雲と詠しは、むかし〱浦の苫屋、鴫たつ澤の夕暮に愛て、仲の町の夕景色をしらざる時のことなりし。

So, an English-speaking translator cannot help adding subjects to this? Alas, it would kill the fluency and exquisiteness.

I can't quite process 18th-century poetry yet, I'm afraid. That said, it should be possible to avoid a subject in poetic translation if necessary, given the broad latitude one has with grammar in various literary styles.
Zero Gravity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
I have no personal issues with Reconguista other than the choice of mobile suit designs, although I've fallen in love with the design for the Gundam for reasons I can't really comprehend myself. While I'm not overly thrilled with the series, I want to see where it'll take me by the end.

Gundam has a way of turning my interests around during mid points, which i first noticed when I watched ZZ Gundam (I at first had to force myself to get through it, after a point, it became my favorite of all the Gundam series). Gundam 00 turned me off horribly with season 2, so bad I wished episode 25 of season 1 was the finale, and don't get me started with the 00 film.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
So I guess ANN has no interest in correcting their horrible translation? I wouldn't really expect them to post a retraction, but at least fixing something they put in an article which is very, very wrong...

vanfanel wrote:

"Japanese Doesn't Need Subjects - Correcting a 100 Year Misconception" I took a look on Amazon; it sounds interesting. So basically, he's saying that a century of Japanese students studying English grammar has given rise to the (false) ideas that Japanese sentences are illogical without subjects, and that the subject is often "omitted" in Japanese (when it was never really needed to begin with)?

Interesting topic. As a native english speaker, translating multiple back to back japanese lines with no subject is a giant pain in the butt (not that I'm a professional translator or anything). Translating isn't suppose to be rewriting, but you still need coherent, grammatically correct sentences in the end.

Zero Gravity wrote:
Gundam has a way of turning my interests around during mid points, which i first noticed when I watched ZZ Gundam (I at first had to force myself to get through it, after a point, it became my favorite of all the Gundam series). Gundam 00 turned me off horribly with season 2, so bad I wished episode 25 of season 1 was the finale, and don't get me started with the 00 film.

I think the slow start is pretty constant with Tomino's gundam series. ZZ and Turn-A both show drastic improvement in the second half. Really though both First and Z have a slow start where they are running away and the baddies keep coming back each week to attack. Those just picked up a bit faster and pretty consistently. G-Reco isn't really unusually slow starting for him, but he only has half the episodes this time.

And it sounds like some one doesn't like aliens in their gundam...
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Yeah, it seems to be so. Linguist Mikami Akira objected to the concept of 'subject' in English grammar being applied to study of the Japanese language. Probably Dr Kanaya has inherited linguistic theories from Dr Mikami. That also reminds me of Tanizaki Jun'ichirō, who criticised poor Japanese writing badly influenced by English grammar.

vanfanel wrote:
I can't quite process 18th-century poetry yet, I'm afraid. That said, it should be possible to avoid a subject in poetic translation if necessary, given the broad latitude one has with grammar in various literary styles.

Oh, actually the quotation is prose, and it is from a novel. Part of the quotation is a reference to a poem in the Kamakura period, but it consists of a modifier and a noun and doesn't need a 'subject'.
An interesting aspect of popular literary works in the Edo period is that they sometimes require of readers that they should have knowledge of high culture, if they want to fully appreciate them.
Anyway, thank you for posting your insight. ^_^

Dr Konishi Jin'ichi, who taught also at Stanford, said, '日本語は、主語を出さない言いかたの方がむしろ普通であるような感じさえ与えられる.'
Quote:
望月のくまなきを千里の外までながめたるよりも、曉近くなりて待ち出でたるが、いと心ぶかう靑みたるやうにて、ふかき山の杉の梢に見えたる木のまのかげ、うちしぐれたるむら雲がくれのほど、またなくあはれなり。

In one of his books, Dr Konishi asked readers what the subject of 'あはれなり' was.

vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
hyojodoji wrote:
Oh, actually the quotation is prose, and it is from a novel.

Ah, I see, now. I'm not uninterested in koten, but the barrier to entry seems awfully high. With all the obsolete words and verb tenses, it feels like a bit like having to learn Japanese all over again. But who knows? Maybe someday. The oldest book I've tackled so far is from the late 1950's.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to the sharp readers who pointed this out. Upon reconsideration, I believe Kamiechi's reading of the sentence in question is more accurate. vanfanel was correct in assuming that I was misled by the lack of subject.

I will edit the article. I deny that I was slandering Tomino in any way in this article and apologize if people got the wrong idea based on this line.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
...but the barrier to entry seems awfully high. With all the obsolete words and verb tenses, it feels like a bit like having to learn Japanese all over again.

Yeah, Dr Konishi Jin'ichi said to students, 'Don't have an idea such as "The language used in the Japanese classics is still the Japanese language. So probably I can easily read them without studying hard.".'

vanfanel wrote:
I'm not uninterested in koten...But who knows? Maybe someday.

When Dr Donald Keene taught at Cambridge, students who read Japanese were really into koten and they used ancient Japanese expressions in everyday conversation.
How about mastering 中古文 (A very simple chronological table-wise comparison might result in Late Old English) in the future and being given thunderous applause by Japanese friends? ^_^

vanfanel wrote:
The oldest book I've tackled so far is from the late 1950's.

Possibly 『金閣寺』 by Mishima Yukio? He was a fan of science fiction. Perhaps 「宇宙塵」, which started to be published in 1957?
Oh, sorry if this is too an inquisitive question.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3