• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mr. Osomatsu

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode seven's screen cap is too funny for words. (Of course, the episode was pretty great, too.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah, that was pretty perfect.

Tsk, tsk. The Matsunos are complete amateurs when it comes to splitting up food. No self-respecting sibling would give food to their parents, when the obvious solution is to divide 3 in half and one into six pie-shaped pieces! In this case, the cream-filled would get the pie treatment.

My only comment on the first segment is lobsters in a bucket.

The hitchhiking scene was kinda fun - judging by the growth of the cactus on the right, they were waiting there for years, if not decades.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Credit: Twitter

XDDDDD
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Tsk, tsk. The Matsunos are complete amateurs when it comes to splitting up food. No self-respecting sibling would give food to their parents, when the obvious solution is to divide 3 in half and one into six pie-shaped pieces! In this case, the cream-filled would get the pie treatment.

I had a trick for these types of situations: as I'm the oldest of 3 siblings, I was usually the one given the food in order to split it into equal parts. However, as this episode exemplifies, sometimes there were 4 pieces of something for the 3 of us. Being possibly the best example of a good big brother, I secretly ate the 4th piece in my way to delivering it to my siblings, avoiding conflict AND getting an extra treat for myself. Everyone wins.

However, regarding episode 7, I believe it's all their mother's fault: why would she buy 4 pieces of food if she knows there's 6 of them, and thus can't properly divide it? That's some bad parenting right there. Maybe she knew she'd get the 4th piece.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote
My siblings and I were generally good about sharing - except when it came to desserts. When I had dinner at my mom's a few weeks ago, I felt a small twinge of jealously when my sister was served a piece of tiramisu that was slightly, SLIGHTLY larger than the one I was given. (I'm 31, by the way.)
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun episode! Todomatsu is great. I had trouble with his character before because, compared to the others siblings, he was sort of pushed to the side. I feel like I have a grasp of his personality now. This series is great with facial expressions. (Also Jyushimatsu is adorable.)

I definitely prefer segments featuring Matsuno sibs, but I could tell someone was having fun making "Going North"; the backgrounds were pretty nice. It also had some cool small touches, like the lizard in the desert.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Being possibly the best example of a good big brother, I secretly ate the 4th piece in my way to delivering it to my siblings, avoiding conflict AND getting an extra treat for myself. Everyone wins.

Wait, how did you manage to secretly eat a piece? Shocked Weren't they watching the division of treats with the keen eyes of ravenous hawks? Did you keep them tied up in the back room or something?

As for their mom, well, we met her a couple of episodes ago, and she doesn't strike me as a mother who wouldn't set up this sort of situation deliberately for fun. I imagine she was watching them on hidden camera.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
As for their mom, well, we met her a couple of episodes ago, and she doesn't strike me as a mother who wouldn't set up this sort of situation deliberately for fun. I imagine she was watching them on hidden camera.

Maybe Dad was in on this, too? I can picture them clinking champagne glasses and enjoying their potentially-cream-filled imagawayaki as they watch the chaos unfold.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I take it Ichimatsu played the Jason-like red herring?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

Yes, you're right. He was hiding in plain sight right from the start, which was a pretty funny visual. They kinda beat it to death though. Inspector Choromatsu was obviously a riff on Conan's Inspector Megure, given his hat and trenchcoat, so as generic a send-up as this was, they were still openly targeting Conan in several ways.

Edited to fix my stupidity. I think I got too distracted by the face mask - never noticed his hair even once. ::facepalm::

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Actually, it was Chibita.

You sure? From what I remember, Chibita was done in with oden skewers, whereas the hockey mask guy was strung up from the mansion's clock tower. (Plus, he had hair, but Chibita's probably not above wearing a wig.)
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I take it Ichimatsu played the Jason-like red herring?

Yeah, it was Ichimatsu. That red herring was the best red herring I've seen. That said, I still think he killed Karamatsu.

This episode was so good, and I loved how out of character some of the cast were in the detective skit. Juushi as a tsukkomi? Choro having fun and being illogical?

The Kara Juushi duet at the end was good too. I was happy to see so much Kara in this ep, even if he suffered in every single skit.

I was surprised there wasn't a blatant Inugami/Kosuke Kindaichi parody (though the lake one might have been. I can't recall but didn't one of the characters in Inugami Clan drown?)
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the excellent tidbit at the end with a duet from Karamatsu and Juushimatsu? I thought it was really funny. Poor Karamatsu can't catch a break, even in a short segment like this. ^^;

I said it in the other thread too but I love the little "Totty" callbacks.
seoulman1985

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:16 pm Reply with quote
What did Choromatsu mean when he asked what Todomatsu/Totty's handwriting looked like in episode 7? I get that Totty lied about being a student at Keio University, but was just looking for cultural context to Choromatsu's question.

Also, them greasers, am I right?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
seoulman1985 wrote:
What did Choromatsu mean when he asked what Todomatsu/Totty's handwriting looked like in episode 7? I get that Totty lied about being a student at Keio University, but was just looking for cultural context to Choromatsu's question.
I think it's a mistranslation. The way the question was phrased (どんな字書くの?) can mean two very different things depending on the context: "What kind of letters/characters do you write? (i.e. what's your handwriting like?)" or "What characters do you write that with? (i.e. how do you write that [word/name/...]?)". The preceding question (てか、「合コン」って何?) was translated as "So what's this mixer about?", but it could also be understood as "So what is this 'mixer' thing anyway?" Given the context, I think the "how do you write that?" translation makes more sense, as a sarcastic way of feigning ignorance and asking Todomatsu to elaborate ("A 'mixer'? Is that something you eat? How do you spell that? Would you be so kind as to give your mentally challenged brothers a detailed explanation?").
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15