• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Divine Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Seemed more like a transition episode this week with more info dump but also establishes Loki as a very tricky and dangerous individual.

Loki's alliance with Geniuses of Divine didn't surprise me too much. In the meantime, everyone fell to Loki's trap. I think this is the part where his trickery came to play Is it also just me or did the music improve? Maybe I just didn't notice it as much until the latest episode. Weird cliffhanger.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
With the addition of Shakespeare as a little girl, this show has officially gotten too weird, even more with the whole Santa thing. It has also gotten rather confusing, that things are not getting explained very well, or some actions don't quite make sense.

How did that guy think ordering those gods to kill would turn out? Why does anyone trust someone called Loki?
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:56 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

Well that was weird.. It was definitely unorthodox with the drama play setting (change of mood) but the acting was pretty sub-par. imo It was fairly easily to tell that everything was fake with Akane, Aoto, and Midori's interactions with the actors. The gender bender for Akane thrown in was ...lolworthy I guess?

They are also really making Loki the big bad so far with him pulling behind the scene actions like a puppet master. Wonder when the big battles will start, my guess is probably next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
The gender bender for Akane thrown in was ...lolworthy I guess?

Shakespeare plays were often acted entirely by a male cast, including the female parts, so it did not really feel that interesting.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Idk if this show is trying to make us feel sad about some of the supporting characters or not like with Elena. So far, it isn't working even with flashbacks connected with the present storytelling. Although from the latest episode, I do have to admit that Akane's father is kind of a cool dude.

Also, Aoto looks like he has some trouble to deal with. But at this stage of this series now with less than 3 episodes?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if it sounds a little insensitive or something, but this show is nonsense. There is a plot, but it just feels like nonsense.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
I find the reunion between Aoto and his bro to be rather weird. Wasn't really impressed by their background story either considering the relationship they had (both siblings and their parents).

And true form of the Divine Gate?...
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale):

Wow, very disappointing overall from start to finish. The finale apparently tried to connect everything together between fate, Loki's ambitions (that seems to involve Arthur as his "chosen one"), etc. But really, I thought the storytelling was very confusing and uninteresting except for that one episode with the dramatic plays.

Action only saved the episode somewhat imo but that's not really saying much. Rating it as bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

What a load of crock. For starters decisions make no damn sense. It tried to make out that some discussion was being made about changing fate or something with the gods, but it was kind of hard to follow where it was falling because the gods think humans can't take the responsibility but there has been no work to differentiate god from human. "Santa" gets himself stabbed to try and help Arthur, but Arthur has to be emo or something and says that he should stay an evil puppet so that he can protect the world or something. Couldn't he have done it not stabbing all of his final friends. But the worst is what happens at the end, and it is a doozy.

You remember a few episodes back when all of the knights of the round were killed? It kind of failed to hit on an emotional level because it had done little to make us care about them. Want to know how the series finished? It made some bullshit that absolutely none of the round died somehow with a stupid reasoning that higher power saved them. Forget deus ex machina, this show needs an entire new term to describe the emotional BS that went on with this. This alone would have been enough to ruin the show, but it was already bad before this.

Do I have to go in depth about what was wrong with Divine Gate? I already have already gone in depth in previous weeks to explain its failings. It may at times look interesting, it could entertain certain audiences that want some style. But all the times it tries to look complex is pretty much the show having its head up its own rear end from it saying "aren't we so complex". No, it is either confusing or just kind of baseless. Giving a rating of Bad (2/10), it might be nice to look at at times, but as a whole this is not good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3