• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: English Release of Xenoblade Chronicles X Removes Bust-Customization Option

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
This is really dumb. I would've actually made SMALLER bust than what appears to be the default now. And I'm 100% sure a 13-year-old would wear actually try to wear the more revealing outfits...that what teen girls do. Censorship of all forms is dumb.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
After seeing the European debut of Xenoblade Chronicles X getting censored, I'm not at all surprised that the American debut would end up getting censored even further as well.

In any case, this is a really immature move by NoA [and NoE]. It's one thing to be family-friendly; removing optional features in the name of "mainstream appeal" is another matter altogether.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:56 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
The rest of the world is just not ready for Japan. Ain't nothing new.

Bust sliders aren't a Japanese thing or at least not exclusive to Japanese video games but of course Nintendo taking it back to 1985 on people Rolling Eyes
BWprowl
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
They should've just balanced it out by putting in a dick-bulge slider.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Why is Japanese on Japanese censoring not attacked like this is? I'm just wondering?

Also, it has nothing to do with the gameplay. If it doesn't affect gameplay, it doesn't matter.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
@Lili-Hime
Well look, I'm certainly not saying the whole game (be it this or FF14) is only for guys making waifus. Just that this is what this one aspect of the game specifically exists for. It's just tough for me to believe otherwise when the game offers so little other significant body customization. A game that at least also lets you adjust muscle tone too is a little better. I can see after height and muscularity maybe going to breast size as the next most prominent feature. Or at least you're in the ballpark. When you can't even choose between a pencil thin body and a heavy set one though, but you can set the breast size...yeah. It seems pretty clear they're not interested in letting people create the bodies they want. They're just interested in letting them create the boobs they want. Of course if you find it helpful regardless then that's fair enough. I guess it is still better than nothing. To me it seems a bit insignificant though. Like, if a game isn't gonna let you actually customize your character's body in a meaningful and complete way, they might as well just go with a universal template. That's just me though.

The problem though is that not all developers are going to spend time designing their character creation feature to let players create their exact ideal characters and considering how complex and involved these things can get that's actually not a bad thing.

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Why is Japanese on Japanese censoring not attacked like this is? I'm just wondering?

Also, it has nothing to do with the gameplay. If it doesn't affect gameplay, it doesn't matter.

Character creation systems are a gameplay element so it does kind of matter.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:38 am Reply with quote
This is great news to me although I never knew such a unessisary thing was an option to begin with. I hope Nintendo continues to censor content like this while increasing the blood,gore and violence in future games while holding on to a great storyline/gameplay which should be the top priority of all games being produced.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
This is why I import Nintendo systems (if they aren't region free) and definitely games that aren't first party, NoA thinks we're still in pre-Mortal Kombat II mindsets. NoA does not deserve my business and hasn't for a long time, I'd rather support the source directly where bullcrap is low or non-existent.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
The problem with this line of thinking is that the pervy costumes are STILL in the game, every character including the MC still has access to the full array of swimsuits and other fanservice like outfits with the exception of Lyn so if Nintendo was actually trying to "clean" up the game or maintain an "image" how exactly is removing an innocent bust slider but leaving in the much more fanservice outfits help nintendo in that cause?

Saying that the bust slider was only included just to pander to people's libido" is also ingenuous too because multiple woman myself included have said in this thread that effects them, if pervs want to make a character just too see that character half naked they still have that option available but the answer to a limited character creation isn't to limit it even more because of a few people might abuse it for other reasons.

I'm assuming for Nintendo it's a matter of what they think their target audience is comfortable with. Skimpy outfits on adult characters is okay, but on children it's not. Related to that, they probably removed the bust slider because they thought it might be controversial to be able to change the bust size on a character that looked like a child, and it was just easier to remove the slider altogether.

As for whether or not the bust slider was made for pervy purposes, why is it that you don't see a groin, hip or butt slider in the game too? It's one thing to say that a bust slider has its place in a full-fledged avatar editor, but it's existence in this game as the sole isolated body part enhancement feature draws attention to its inclusion at the exclusion of other potentially modifiable features. Perceived motivation is understandably enough for Nintendo to not stir up controversy with the broader general audience they're targeting.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
It's funny that we're back on this crap all over again. Folks shouldn't be surprised when they localize games. They've been doing this censoring for years. Which is one reason folks end up importing anyway. Plus, this is Nintendo (USA) we're talking about. Japan doesn't really haven't qualms or care.

But these minor changes shouldn't take away whether the game is good or not. If the game was crap the "boobs" will not save it. LOL.
xdavos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
And what's the next step? Taking out female characters from their games?!
What bothers me too is that according to rumours they may have altered the religious stuff from XCX and that's an aspect I liked in the Xeno-series.

Well Nintendo is a company full of dumb decisions (of course not exclusively) and they make really good games but they still don't know that we have 2015 not 1995.. .
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Plus, this is Nintendo (USA) we're talking about. Japan doesn't really haven't qualms or care.

NoA and NoE (to a lesser extent than NA) are the only ones that really care about the 'family friendly' image, yeah. NoJ doesn't seem to really care all that much, considering the kind of titles and content they let out.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like breasts, boob sliders for an RPG are the dumbest of dumb features. More than being angry that it's being taken out, I'm curious why we bothered with it anyway in a game about giant robots.

If this were something like Saints Row where character creation is practical a joke unto itself (play as Nolan North!), I'd get it (also: guys get a dick slider in that game), but seeing this situation? I just see people salty over women being treated as people and not sex-dolls in a game.

Besides, if it's optional content, that just makes it that much more irrelevant--and if it's so irrelevant as to be optional, cutting it out shouldn't be a factor.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I'm assuming for Nintendo it's a matter of what they think their target audience is comfortable with. Skimpy outfits on adult characters is okay, but on children it's not. Related to that, they probably removed the bust slider because they thought it might be controversial to be able to change the bust size on a character that looked like a child, and it was just easier to remove the slider altogether.

As for whether or not the bust slider was made for pervy purposes, why is it that you don't see a groin, hip or butt slider in the game too? It's one thing to say that a bust slider has its place in a full-fledged avatar editor, but it's existence in this game as the sole isolated body part enhancement feature draws attention to its inclusion at the exclusion of other potentially modifiable features. Perceived motivation is understandably enough for Nintendo to not stir up controversy with the broader general audience they're targeting.

On your first part on them being fine with the outfits on adults but not on children as evident with the Lyn censorship I would agree that that is probably one of the reasons they might have done it but here is where the problem lies, the character you create you can create the EXACT same looking character as Lyn meaning you can make your character look exactly like her, a child with the only different is your characters bust will be slightly bigger but you will still look like a child AND be able to wear those skimpy outfits, thats the problem I have with the whole thing none of it makes sense because any message they are trying to send is just refuted by other means.

I do agree that there should have been much more options to the character creation system like you said, hips, butt etc... and why they aren't there is a valid question to ask but maybe its because I'm a woman and its how I think but when I think of breats I just don't think of them in a sexual way its just a body part, especially in the case of the slider because most of the armor in the game has you fully covered and practical and sans the skimpy optional outfits increasing or decreasing the bust size while wearing full clothing just doesn't scream sexual to me. If this was a more fanservicey game and they only gave you only a bust slider I'd be more inclined to agree but XCX outside of those optional outfits just doesn't scream to me as a typical fanservice game. I do see your point on why one could perceive it as just fanservice but I just personally don't view it as such.

Levitz9 wrote:
Besides, if it's optional content, that just makes it that much more irrelevant--and if it's so irrelevant as to be optional, cutting it out shouldn't be a factor.

I do agree, the content removed or altered is not some major thing nor does it break the game but many people who are upset at it are more upset due to the fact that its just yet another case of NoA/E deciding what fans are and aren't allowed to see when it comes to content. Yes there are plenty of examples of games that are being censored by many different companies but there's only one company with a major history of it. Atlus, Idea Factory, NISA etc.. all released games that needed to be censored however each of them publicly announced what was censored and why they did it. Nintendo on the other hand has never ONCE stated that games were censored nor why they did it, the only reason we know what was removed is thanks to people who played both versions, reviewers etc...

That is the problem people have, Nintendo refuses to state why they cut things, they refuse to listen to fan complaints and even if people buy the games and voice concern hoping that they change their ways for the next game Nintendo censors that one too and the cycle repeats. Its especially annoying and I'd have a lot more respect for them if they were to announce why they felt the need to alter certain games especially when Tom from Xseed expressed his sadness over this games cut content which would mean Xseed could have perfectly released it unaltered.

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo is okay with breasts, just not allowing the player to decide the size of them or having them readily exposed apparently. I mean you have some Fire Emblem characters with huge busts and those body suit dark mage outfits but then they censor a beach scene and Pokemon has been getting a little more mature with it's character designs but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Fatal Frame V the jiggle physics are still fine, just not in certain outfits. It's small graphical changes but it feels strangely inconsistent to the point where I'd just like to hear a commentary on what the policy is here myself cause I'm curious. I mean as some have pointed out bust size is a common feature in character customization engines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9