• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ace Attorney Anime's Cast, Staff Briefly Listed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:51 pm Reply with quote
They didn't have to, but it's certainly strange considering we've had a fairly consistent cast for years thanks to drama cds, trailers, Dual Destinies, etc. It's not like they stopped using this cast either - they're still using them for upcoming projects even today, with the anime being the only exception.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:27 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
KutovoiAnton wrote:
There was an official seiyuu cast since the first game.

Shu Takumi,Hideki Kamiya,& Tasuro Iwamoto aren't what I would call "official" voice actors.

KutovoiAnton wrote:

So yes, change was unnecessary.

Only if you're of the mind that they absolutely had to reuse the cast they used from the games, drama and promotional CD's which they didn't have to and probably couldn't anyway.

*sigh* Do even read my posts? I'm not talking about Shu Takumi and the company. Not to mention that they're not even using them anymore. DD had an actual voice cast.
And this is the cast I'm talking about
http://youtu.be/etOGqPm00gs
http://youtu.be/vVEutLi2kBA
http://youtu.be/VC7DWAsWXAs
http://youtu.be/UCp2bSElDps
http://youtu.be/vyws8s1gRRQ
http://youtu.be/jns2Dlv9S9w

And sorry, but what does it mean "probably couldn't anyway"? You mean that they wanted Yuki Kaji and Aoi Yuki for the roles so badly, that they blew all the budget into them, so they had to find less known voice actors for the rest of the characters?
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Will it be an adaptation of the original games? I'd kill to see April May, Dee Vasquez, Morgan Fey, Dahlia Hawthorne, even Oldbag.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

It would be quite unprofessional if they used localized names,

I wouldn't go so far as to call it unprofessional. The excellent movie adapatation's subs used the localized names. As far as I'm concerned, the fanbase for the Western areas knows these characters by their "American" names, so there's potential for it being needlessly confusing if the official subbers use the original Japanese names.

The only reason Digimon got away with it is probably because the English names were so darn close to the Japanese ones in the first place--but there's no linking Naruhodo with Wright unless you already know Japanese and get the joke. :/

Also, count me in as one of the folks who went Shocked at seeing Yuki Kaji's name up there. I mean, he's not bad as Sonic in OPM, but I can't picture him as Phoenix at ALL.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Will it be an adaptation of the original games? I'd kill to see April May, Dee Vasquez, Morgan Fey, Dahlia Hawthorne, even Oldbag.

Apparently it will be covering the first two games (meaning we'll get to see Franziska at some point), with some anime-original episodes here and there.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
*sigh* Do even read my posts?

Ummm yes.

KutovoiAnton wrote:
Not to mention that they're not even using them anymore.

Yeah considering those guys are/were designers and developers at Capcom were casted likely because of a limited budget at the time and who incidentally either no longer employed there, no longer working on the series itself, or because someone decided that the characters should properly be voiced by people whose job involves them voicing characters in animated works.

KutovoiAnton wrote:
DD had an actual voice cast.

Yes DD did have an official cast of actual voice actors (more or less) the first game which you cited in your original post (and it's sequels) mostly didn't hence me pointing it out.

KutovoiAnton wrote:
And sorry, but what does it mean "probably couldn't anyway"?

Conflicting schedules,different priorities, other obligations, etc you know things that would actually prevent people from working on a particular task or function.

KutovoiAnton wrote:

You mean that they wanted Yuki Kaji and Aoi Yuki for the roles so badly, that they blew all the budget into them

If they could get a hold of them whose to say they blew their budget or are you just making assumptions purely out of bitter spite?
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Yes DD did have an official cast of actual voice actors (more or less) the first game which you cited in your original post (and it's sequels) mostly didn't hence me pointing it out.

Not in the games themselves, but for every trailer, promotional event, etc. they used the same professional voice actors that were used in DD. (like for the promotional video for Apollo Justice, the Edgeworth spin-off games, etc.) DD may have been the first time they were used in-game, but they had been used for a good few years even before then and are still in use for even future titles today.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

KutovoiAnton wrote:
And sorry, but what does it mean "probably couldn't anyway"?

Conflicting schedules,different priorities, other obligations, etc you know things that would actually prevent people from working on a particular task or function.

KutovoiAnton wrote:

You mean that they wanted Yuki Kaji and Aoi Yuki for the roles so badly, that they blew all the budget into them

If they could get a hold of them whose to say they blew their budget or are you just making assumptions purely out of bitter spite?

Er... Recasting in video games adaptations is incredebly rare (and mostly hentai games. And even then it's still rare). And conflicting shedules also is pretty rare for Japanese voice actors. So yes, I still don't understand why they couldn't cast a usual team.

As for my lower quote - yes, I said that out of spite, but now when I think of it, it might be the case (well, not as I put it, though). This cast have two very big names and number of much cheaper sound-alike voice actors (comparing it with the usual cast, that was full of very famous voice actors). I expect them to cast someone more or less similar to Miyuki Sawashiro (but from a cheaper agency) as Franzisca as well. Maybe they actually didn't have a budget big enough to cast seiyuus from Aoni Production and thus decided to recast everyone.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:45 pm Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

Not in the games themselves, but for every trailer, promotional event, etc. they used the same professional voice actors that were used in DD.

Yeah that was always weird though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3