• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: JASRAC Asks YouTube to Improve Anti-Piracy Measures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:14 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But a portion of that stuff on YouTube isn't on bittorrent and YouTube is more easier to use than bittorrrent.

JASRAC should get the money out of them if they have a right to it imo.

that is true. youtube has g------ s------ A------ and I cant find it any ware else
but at one time it was on bit torrent ..................until ...........it .......was .......taken ....down Crying or Very sad

Last edited by msgundam2 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:51 am; edited 2 times in total
RezSav

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
But a portion of that stuff on YouTube isn't on bittorrent and YouTube is more easier to use than bittorrrent.

JASRAC should get the money out of them if they have a right to it imo.

that is true. youtube has gundam seed ASTRAY and I can't find it any ware else
but at one time it was on bit torrent until it was taken down

Hmmmmm, the rules are just flying out the window in this post, arn't they? Only to be expected, I know.
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
the one thing i worry abut is anime music video. i love amv . or fun created anime skits like fun dubs or fake subs

Last edited by msgundam2 on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
that is true. youtube has gundam seed ASTRAY and I can't find it any ware else
but at one time it was on bit torrent ..................until ...........it .......was .......taken ....down Crying or Very sad

If you wanna be a braggart about the special crap you found on Bittorrent or Youtube, do it somewhere else. In case you haven't read them (note, you should've), doing that here is against the rules.

And that goes to the rest of you. Can the "lol hay i found all of _____ on yuotobe i r speshul" nonsense; it's been far too rampant in this thread as it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
msgundam2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
IM sorry surd i edit or take it down
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
the one thing i worry abut is anime music video. i love amv . or fun created anime skits like fun dubs or fake subs

I rather see AMV's completely erased from YouTube. Some of them have no artist merit whatsoever, and many are poor edit jobs that clutter searches.

But what YouTube really needs to do is have a better reporting system. Plus is it that hard to write software to edit out duplicates of files? 40 copies of

Also, if JASRAC wants to be effective, they need to start pulling a Lars Ulrich and send YouTube lists of user names to get banned.
dokool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:39 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I rather see AMV's completely erased from YouTube. Some of them have no artist merit whatsoever, and many are poor edit jobs that clutter searches.

I agree, as an AMV editor - The amount of footage theft, misattributed/unattributed AMVs, and just plain bad videos on YT is staggering. Once or twice a month I go through the site and send messages requesting my videos be taken down.

For an important perspective on AMVs and YT, see this post from Phade, founder of AnimeMusicVideos.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:15 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
msgundam2 wrote:

For AMVs i feel that people have to start somewhere. Like some great fanfic writers starts off poor and get better. Sure not everyone one youtube is doing that but by the second or third videos a lot of them are.

Maybe they could just make it mandatory to keep the commericals included. That way we see them even if they aren't going to do us much good.

I hate to say it but one other person said ban the japanese ISPS or whatever so they can't get on. Maybe if they did that it wouldn't be such a big deal. Or the charging thing like I mentioned in the last post. Charge $10 to put up a video. maybe even $5 a month to watch. Everyone is happy and no one freeloads.

Except for those who watch and somehow copy the videos when they do.

--
Which makes me wonder...why is no one just renting from netflixs and burning the discs? (off topic but still...its stealing)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

Also, if JASRAC wants to be effective, they need to start pulling a Lars Ulrich and send YouTube lists of user names to get banned.

I see the problem of not enough people having the required tools needed to create SOLID, GOOD AMV's. Every other title is [popular anime] + Linkin Park. There's also the danger of the original songs not jiving well with the listening audience.

And Lars Ulrich? Are we talking about the same Lars Ulrich of Metallica fame who shot the reputation of his crew in the foot over Napster? I wonder how many people go to their concert anymore with that annoying thing they did still in their minds?

I, for one, would like for YouTube to continue having 10 minutes worth of 30 minute shows up there. I want for companies in Japan to come to those in the US as oppose to US coming to them. Anime... No. The telling of a damn good story is now an international thing, not something you should merchandize to death with. They should get that into their collective heads.
Spider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:30 am Reply with quote
I'm gald ANN chose to release and article that touches this issue.

I'm not going to begin discussing this again, but I wanted to add a few comments. I've posted in the comments under the name An1m32004 here: theotaku.com: YouTube Removes 30K Japanese Videos
And heres another simple article for kicks (to add more info on how the same subset of the 'community' 'feels' about it.) theotaku.com: Japan Worried Over YouTubers

- There are many things YouTube could do to defend against this, but there are no direct ways to approach it. Most direct solutions currently would be extremely time/energy consuming. -

Some solutions could end up taking away 'too much' from what YouTube 'is'.
Thats a question to ask: What makes YouTube so great? Give it some thought. What could be sacrificed to ensure its not lost?

I don't know much about the inner workings of YouTube, nor do I know much about the interface they provide for the community. (To make that clear.)

It all comes down to making it hard/frustrating for Uploaders and Viewers of illegal content, without making it inconvenient for legitimate users. (Which is quite difficult.) (aka 'convincing' the users they shouldn't do something)

[One Solution]

If the only current solution is to have the videos screened, and YouTube does not want to 'pay' people to do it, there is a possibility. If a team of 'trusted' users were to screen videos for 'benefits' then YouTube could be moderated by the community. (Unfortunately, adding 'benefits' may require adding new 'restrictions'.) Any 'trusted' user that is caught letting illegal content slide could be discovered by the community and dealt with. I'll leave out the details, but that’s one possibility.

Weather its a 'trusted-community', or just a public reporting system ( that all users have access to after the video is available) it would be one way to lighten the load of a staffed screening system (that is, if the community is even useful).
(The later would require a Report option in addition to 'Report Inappropriate' but than will only help soo much.)

There are advantages and disadvantages to a trusted-user-screening-community, but its less resource intensive then things such as an image recognition system (which would require prior knowledge of illegal content before even being able to identify it), and more pro-active then signup info restrictions that make it difficult to create multiple accounts. (Just to note: Banning IP addresses/blocks is really a mess and causes lots of problems for legitimate users as well.) This is just a mere suggestion, which I'm sure YouTube/Google and the YouTube community are already working on.

Or YouTube could 'satisfy' any company’s complaints by other means, but that doesn't work all the time...

The difficulty of filtering 'illegal' content from any system has been an issue for quite some time. The way in which YouTube deals with the issue may lead to some interesting research. Maybe Google can 'safely' experiment with YouTube?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:56 am Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
And Lars Ulrich? Are we talking about the same Lars Ulrich of Metallica fame who shot the reputation of his crew in the foot over Napster? I

JASRAC don't need to wonder about their reputation. So doing a Lars would benefit them greatly.

Quote:

If a team of 'trusted' users were to screen videos for 'benefits' then YouTube could be moderated by the community.

Bad idea. One idiot is trying hard to become a mod on YouTube, and he's a freaking nutcase!!

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/index.php/Argent009

I should know, the idiot can't handle a little advice where one of his vids had horrible audio playback, and he accused me of being racist. Uh, your vid has poor audio, and you accuse me of calling you a Nazi Skinhead? Oh-thay....

Imagine you have a whole bloody committee of differing ideas deciding whats legit and whats not. Your gonna have clips that pass that should be deleted and clips that are deleted even thought it should be on.

But if the companies just commit to using the DMCA, tell Youtube "Oh, if it has anything of (Property Name) and it's not exempted under current copyright law (Like parody or cosplay), then nuke it." If the Furverts can weild the DMCA like a Legal weapon (I'm looking at you Jeremy Bernal) then a multi-million dollar firm like FUNimation or ADV Films can spare one intern to make copies of legal briefs to pass to YouTube and maybe surf Youtube once in a while to look for stuff.

Quote:
Or YouTube could 'satisfy' any company’s complaints by other means, but that doesn't work all the time...

YouTube should just have a one-stop process for people to report stuff, plain and simple.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:55 am Reply with quote
If a team of 'trusted' users were to screen videos for 'benefits' then YouTube could be moderated by the community. [/quote]

Bad idea. One idiot is trying hard to become a mod on YouTube, and he's a freaking nutcase!!
[/quote]

Even so, I think that YouTube should have some sort of community policing in force. At least allow a video to be flagged by a cmmunity member for possible copyright violation, so that an official YouTube employee can review the video at a later time. It's impossible to do that now, as to report copyright, you have to have all these legal documents to prove you are the copyright holder, which means the average Joe who wants to help the anime community by pointing out illegal videos can't do so.

And as an AMV maker, I do not want my AMV's on YouTube for multiple reasons. I have had several uploaded without my permission. I would rather flag my own video for copyright violation then have it posted by some 12 year old that claims the editing as their own. The only way to get them removed is by constantly spamming the owner's message board to remove it, and since members can delete messages, that is hardly ever effective.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
JASRAC don't need to wonder about their reputation. So doing a Lars would benefit them greatly.

Hey. I have nothing against companies combining together to fight against the illegalities of the internet. But the line's blurred between enjoying the latest of what Japan has and being a financial pain in their collective butts.

And if one wakes up one day, to find out that the anime industry tells the non-Japanese viewership that you should all burn in hell... And you're one of the paying customers that didn't wanna be suckered by another sucker series... What will we do about it?
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:38 pm Reply with quote
There's really no reason why anime should be on YouTube. It's not even the easiest way to watch it. But I also feel that bittorrent sites have been allowed to get away with more than they should. That's why it's allowed people to feel they can post on YouTube and get away with it. It is nice to be able to catch an episode of a show one has missed, but it is only television. And TV isn't what it was in the past. Many cancelled shows do see a second airing on cable, and successful ones live forever in syndication.

Although many don't like delays, it would probably be fairer for fansubbers to wait a year and allow shows to get liscenced before they fansub and post it. It would increase the demand for DVDs and TV broadcasting of the shows, and there would still be some material available for those who couldn't afford it.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
lledra wrote:
Well even if their able to prevent people from uploading stuff, it's still there. Search for certian words, it's all there. But I understand a little bit where JASRAC is coming from, but still. That's alot of videos to remove.

Also, I know from my own personal experience that watching the fan stuff and the AMV's help generate hype for the show., and can increase it's popularity.

Exactly. I strongly believe that Youtube's efforts to prevent further infringement is mostly for show, because -- simply put, they're not stupid. They're aware that the fansubs and AMVs allow more publication and essentially more advertisement for the animes, and thus, while they may indeed be making efforts to deter pirated materials from being uploaded, they're not going to be able to, nor do I think they actually will take the initiative required to remove and keep these things from being posted entirely. Furthermore, if they really could keep their users from posting any and all materials that violated the copyright laws, Youtube would undoubtably lose much of its business... which we all know they're not keen to do. Wink

In my case (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this circumstance), free fansubs are one of the only ways I'm able to see these different anime series, since I don't have the income to buy or rent new ones whenever I learn about them; nor can I afford On-Demand channels. So, actually, while I have my issues with Youtube, it's thanks to their users who've uploaded so many fansub series that I've been able to see and enjoy these anime at all! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop Of course, that isn't to say I don't completely understand why the American & Japanese anime publishing companies would want their licenses not to be pirated. It's reasonable, after all. So that's why I find this are to be especially complicated.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4