• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Is All The Anime On Hulu Going?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rizuchan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:

The second one? You don't need those discs. It's okay if you don't ever see it again. In five years, it'll probably be better as a memory.

I think people in the digital era need to learn to let things go. Try going to the theater - you can't buy a DVD of that (except nowadays you can, a lot - but not always. Not with the exact cast you saw, not the exact way that one person sang that note, etc.)

But that's just it. Lately I've been trying really hard to convince myself I don't have to buy everything and that there are some (a lot of!) shows that I probably won't ever watch again. And my answer was Hulu. Flipping through Hulu's catalog I realized that all the stuff I picked up for super cheap during Right Stuf's Xmas sale was available for free, and I would have been much better off just watching it there because cheap as the DVDs were, I'll never watch them more than once.

Except now Hulu is getting rid of all of those shows. So maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that I bought them after all.

I'm okay with the idea that I might not ever see something again, but I don't like the idea that I won't ever be able to see it at all, or, if it's good, I won't be able to recommend it to my friends because there's no feasible way for them to watch it. It's especially worrisome with, say, Aniplex's stuff, because they have a lot of really good titles that are OOP and were crazy expensive in the first place, so the loss would be enormous if they suddenly decide to take them down from all the streaming sites.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:
You don't need those discs. It's okay if you don't ever see it again. In five years, it'll probably be better as a memory.

I think people in the digital era need to learn to let things go.

What about those who, for whatever reason, do not or cannot watch the show now?

For every show there will be people five years from now who have not seen it but want to.
Should they just let it go and forget about ever watching the show that everybody tells them was so great?

Having anime on discs preserves it not just for the people who buy the discs now but also for other people who might want to watch it in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

What about those who, for whatever reason, do not or cannot watch the show now?

For every show there will be people five years from now who have not seen it but want to.
Should they just let it go and forget about ever watching the show that everybody tells them was so great?

Having anime on discs preserves it not just for the people who buy the discs now but also for other people who might want to watch it in the future.

This too. I buy stuff sometimes blindly, and don't get a chance to watch them for years later. I have a bit of a backlog of anime, and trying to get through streamed shiws, first. Also, I'm a forgetful person. I forget a lot about what happens in a show, so I'll rewatch it years later.
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, I didn't say "don't ever buy discs, we don't ever need discs"

Everyone's responses were actually saying... exactly what I said.

Watch it once. You love it, buy it.

You like it okay but don't love it? Don't stress over never being able to watch it again.

You should be able to watch it once.

If you want to uncover more layers by rewatching it a bunch of times? That's *the first one* - you love it. You should buy it then.

I'm talking about people who think they need a massive physical library, because what if that one show they sort of liked but didn't really care for gets taken down? Or what about that show they didn't care enough to finish (not "that they didn't have time to finish" - that they kept putting off finishing because they didn't really like it)? That one some forum poster swears has hidden layers and you'll look at some point... maybe... if you feel like it... no, don't bother. If you're not that into it... just don't worry about it.

Those are the things you need to learn to let go.

Not your favorite series. That's what I meant by "the one you preorder as soon as it's available without even thinking, because how could you not?". Just... not everything that exists is worth that. Save the agony for your favorite darlings.

Also, Viz hasn't said anything about this. Instead, they tweeted that someone put sunglasses on an Assassination Classroom book so it looks like Koro-sensei is wearing sunglasses. Okay. Nice, Viz.
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Mr.Shonen wrote:
But honestly if you're an anime fan who has spent at least 5 minutes on the internet you should be able to find a place to watch anime that comes off better than Hulu.

I like to if possible watch everything legally. With Hulu loosing much of it's anime back catalogue their will be a number of shows that don't have a legit legal home anymore and that sucks.

Same and looks like my Hulu sun will just get cancelled even though I don't really watch much on Hulu there was some good stuff from viz I still want to watch does anyone know if rinne will still be on Netflix? And still haven't watched coppelion but worst case scenerio I can just read the manga which I was planning to do after I watched the anime
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:
Whoa, I didn't say "don't ever buy discs, we don't ever need discs"

Everyone's responses were actually saying... exactly what I said.

Watch it once. You love it, buy it.

You like it okay but don't love it? Don't stress over never being able to watch it again.

You should be able to watch it once.

If you want to uncover more layers by rewatching it a bunch of times? That's *the first one* - you love it. You should buy it then.

I'm talking about people who think they need a massive physical library, because what if that one show they sort of liked but didn't really care for gets taken down? Or what about that show they didn't care enough to finish (not "that they didn't have time to finish" - that they kept putting off finishing because they didn't really like it)? That one some forum poster swears has hidden layers and you'll look at some point... maybe... if you feel like it... no, don't bother. If you're not that into it... just don't worry about it.

Those are the things you need to learn to let go.

Not your favorite series. That's what I meant by "the one you preorder as soon as it's available without even thinking, because how could you not?". Just... not everything that exists is worth that. Save the agony for your favorite darlings.

Well, yeah you put it quite literally. Still, so what if people like big libraries? Who is it hurting? They enjoy it, let them. I can only buy my favorites/ones I really want to check out, due to budget constraints. I'd expand more if I could. I don't think many people really "make a library just to have a library". I'm not really sure who you are even really talking about. I mean, I could easier miss out on an awesome show because I was planning on checking it out, but never got around to it, and it got taken down.

Being the digital age means that we have EASIER access to pretty much everything, as everything is pretty much an on-demand model. No one's about to give up just because it's not available right now. There's always alternatives. Looks like The Anime Network has tons of shows that were taken down from Hulu, so that is still an alternative option.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs.

More like this is why people still torrent. Well, one of the reasons. Me, I much prefer the discs, but so many things are out of print, or in some licensors' case, insanely expensive for so little material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Which is what I was saying.

If you are *legitimately going to watch it again*, buy it. If you love it enough to lend it out, buy it.

If that happens to be a hundred series for you, fine. If a few people want to have big libraries, fine.

I'm more responding to the sort of attitude I see a lot and I know I used to have. "OMG, E's Otherwise is going out of print, I need to buy it now, because someday I might want to watch it!" I have no idea what E's Otherwise is about, just that it sat on my shelf for years because of that attitude, and I sort of cringed every time I looked at it.

I pared my library down to about 1 shelf. That might not be the right choice for everyone, but there's a certain scarcity obsession with anime fans that's a little paranoid sometimes.

There should be streaming services for the rest of it, and there are. Pretty much all of this was duplicate from other services, except for a few series. One of those happens to be (the sequel to) my favorite of the moment, so that's problematic until Viz decides to release discs.

But my point is, "one service taking anime off" does not equal "hoard discs just in case".

I'm not saying everyone should take the KonMari approach. I'm saying don't treat that sort of attitude as blasphemy, which a lot of fans do.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Well, I certainly buy discs. I like the idea of having them available to me physically. I mean, what if the internet goes down or something? Or if the power goes out, I could still use my laptop to watch anime if need be.

Good thing I own Rose of Versailles on DVD, but that show is also well worth owning period.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what will happen to all of the older anime shows on Hulu (2004-2010) after they've vanished?

Justin wrote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Yes! With instances like this, no anime show is guaranteed a permanent stay on any streaming website. Hence, it's best to buy the disc of your favorite anime that you're streaming the instant you have a chance, even if you haven't reached the end of it yet.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Youtube Red is pure lose, I can't support them financially after what they pulled with Japanese and some Korean music locking a lot of it on YTR. Send them to Crunchyroll or somewhere else.

I sent a question to Answerman on this as Youtube Red became active in Australia in the last week or so and coincidentally several official anime music channels on Youtube became blocked, see animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4769686#4769686.

There needs to be long term archiving happening - like when you find out about a title long after it was first released, it would be good to have some legal means to access it.

Last edited by omiya on Fri May 27, 2016 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raoku

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
This absolutely sucks I was in the middle of watching a show when it got removed and now I have no clue where I can find it legally that is
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Streaming Anime is the "new frontier" both for anime companies, and for fourth-place losers like Crackle and Viewster that can't compete with the Big Three for movies/TV.
The companies, because they know from Funi's example that the new post-Bubble fans would rather watch first then buy, and the small-time streamers because they're hardest hit by the fact that nobody wants to watch cheap public-domain movies on an crappy small-time network when they can watch them on Amazon Prime.

Sentai, Bandai and Aniplex are pulling out, so we can expect that they'll probably be putting out some kind of independent shingle to follow Funi's lead (ADV/Sentai have already announced plans to reinvent the Anime Channel for the streaming age), but Funi and Toei already survive on selling out their shows to anybody who'll buy them.
Funi will never be gone, so long as they can sell them to Netflix and Viewster, and Toei's classics will be back, wait and see.

Mr.Shonen wrote:
But honestly if you're an anime fan who has spent at least 5 minutes on the internet you should be able to find a place to watch anime that comes off better than Hulu.

It was a nice surprise that Hulu was a clearinghouse for Funi, Neon Alley, and Anime Network, but that just wasn't the reason I got Hulu in the first place.
That's like saying you got Netflix JUST for "Seven Deadly Sins". (Although it's even sillier to say you got Netflix "just" for Jessica Jones.)

Hulu doesn't specialize in movies or anime, they specialize in TV, and it's only the current-reruns and Criterion collection (if you subscribe to HuluPlus, at least subscribe for the Kurosawa movies) that brought it out of its small-time-loser Crackle days when every website was airing public-domain movies in the hopes of beating YouTube for the new money.
Now, Hulu's not only the one-stop location for all current "cut the cord" network TV viewing, they also have one of the biggest treasure troves of classic 70's/80's reruns that puts Netflix's Star Trek and Cheers to shame. I still haven't finished Assassination Classroom on Hulu, but if they take it off, at least I won't be starving for Columbo, Rockford Files or Mission:Impossible reruns. Cool

Think of Hulu, Netflix and CR/Funi.com as "The right tool for the right job", and subscribe accordingly.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Justin wrote:
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people still buy discs. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened.

Yes! With instances like this, no anime show is guaranteed a permanent stay on any streaming website. Hence, it's best to buy the disc of your favorite anime that you're streaming the instant you have a chance, even if you haven't reached the end of it yet.

The time Netflix lost its deal with Starz and had its first big "Netflix-geddon", where as much as a hundred mainstream-movie or series titles lose/renew their annual licenses on January 1 or March 15 (and fewer come back every time, now that studios don't think they get enough money licensing movies to subscription services and don't bother with them anymore), news headlines treated it like the catastrophic end of the world for Streaming and/or Binging Television.
Why? Because Wal-Mart and Warner in '10-'13 were so busy selling cloud-library digital-VOD's Three Big Lies of "All Your Movies, Forever(tm)", some people caught up in the dream literally abandoned their disk collection because they honestly believed Netflix was Forever. It wasn't, and isn't....Sur-priiiise! Razz

Netflix, like Hulu or Crunchyroll, has taken the place of TV, where no show would be on the air forever, and you tuned into see what was playing at that moment, when you didn't care much what you sat down with.
But the whole point of owning a VHS tape back at the beginning, never mind a disk, was that you knew something that was a favorite wouldn't be around forever, and you wanted the control of being able to watch your favorite movie or rerun without waiting for it or assuming it'd fallen out of the syndication ether.
Those of us who grew up with 70's/80's TV knew the need for preservation, but the generation that grew up with cable and the first days of streaming thinks it'll be around forever. Now they're learning the fear WE had, and we're the only ones with the battle experience to know how to fight back against it.
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Bah. Sad

Does anyone know of any comprehensive lists of what is expiring, or, alternately, of shows that are exclusive to Hulu so we could check up on the status of the stuff we won't be able to watch elsewhere?
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
As a collector:

"Ahahahahahahahaha! AHAHAHAHAHA!"

Anime ain't goin' mainstream. We're gonna remain niche, and the collectors will still hold a lot of steering power.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6