• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Battery the Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I really like Takumi attitude, so much more interesting than most main character (although I do think they could be a little less overdramatic with everything). I really hope he doesn't lose the brash attitude and become just another boring average character.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote
^ You wouldn't if you had to deal with him.

Coach missed his calling - he should be working for the TSA. That was an awful lot of invading personal space over an undone button. Shocked And all that was before he even said he was signing up for the team!

I was also sorely annoyed at Gramps for interfering with the mother's efforts to adjust Takumi's bad attitude. They've apparently let him get away with being a snert for too long already. If he'd backed her up instead of shutting her down, it might have helped the point sink in better, instead of rolling off Takumi's back with, "oh Mom's just on my case over nothing as usual." For being a former baseball coach he doesn't seem to have much backbone.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Coach missed his calling - he should be working for the TSA. That was an awful lot of invading personal space over an undone button. Shocked

Though that seemed to bother Takumi not even half as much as having to cut his hair.

Quote:

I was also sorely annoyed at Gramps for interfering with the mother's efforts to adjust Takumi's bad attitude. They've apparently let him get away with being a snert for too long already. If he'd backed her up instead of shutting her down, it might have helped the point sink in better, instead of rolling off Takumi's back with, "oh Mom's just on my case over nothing as usual." For being a former baseball coach he doesn't seem to have much backbone.

I'm totally with you here. If i was that brat's mother, he could forget about joining any baseball team for the rest of his life unless he changed that attitude of his...Evil or Very Mad

There seems to be an underlying theme of "nagging mothers interfering with their sons' precious dreams" in this series which annoys me quite a bit.
babaca

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't get talked about much because it is on Amazon prime. Not everyone has access to amazon prime. I do like this series though. You don't have to sell it to the fujoshi crowd. It is a mellow series, not trying for pairing fantasies. Although Takumi is mighty mouthy. That creep would not have stood in my house. ☺
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
It felt like the show was letting Go off the hook way to easily this episode, he's the one who attacked Takumi and in the shed Takumi didn't order him to play, he just asked him (something which Go was always willing to do before not for Takumi but because he enjoyed it). Takumi might be immature, but he's direct and actually pretty straightforward to deal with, he's just not very polite. Go seem to change his mind about everything on a day to day basis, this episode he was saying "just do what you're told" but his mother been telling him to stop baseball and he still play.

Also, wow did the Yaoi bait stuff get cranked up this episode! At first I though it would always stays as bait, but it seem like they might actually go all he way in the later episode at this rate. Maybe that's why all the kid look so old, so the inevitable donjin don't end up looking to "illegal". Laughing
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
There's a fine line between being individualistic or just being a selfish little brat and Takumi seems to cross that line a bit too often for my taste, though he didn't get on my nerves quite as much in this ep...

But more importantly, this show seems to suffer from a severe case of aquaphobia! First, Takumi almost dies from falling into a puddle and now they had to stop practice because the rain might give them pneumonia (though it was kind of funny that Takumi of all people wanted to keep practicing...)? I mean, seriously?! Rolling Eyes
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
^Not just this show, though it does take it to the extreme with pneumonia from a light drizzle. Seriously, it makes me think that Japan is a particularly infectious country, in anime at least. Of course any contact with water especially rain as you mentioned, but also sleeping anywhere but a bed or at least without a blanket is liable to give you a cold in anime. Or they could just be hypochondriacs. I for one have never gotten even a cold from being in the rain without an umbrella or rain coat so I never really found that believable.

Anywho, back to the subject at hand. While Takumi is still a cocky little shit who could use some humbling, I can't help but find him (relatively) likable when some of the characters resort to thuggery to hammer him in to place. I don't know about Tomura, but if I was coach and saw them do that, Nobunishi and his two henchmen would be kicked from the team on the spot and perhaps even recommended for disciplinary action. Though Japan is often more concerned with nails sticking out than too violent hammers.

And it does seem like Ms. Ekens was right the first time. It may just be a fujoshi sports anime yet. The grandfather knows what's up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 5-6
Quote:
What everyday twelve-year-old doesn't tell their folks about how they got gagged and whipped in a storage shed after school one day?

If it didn't require professional medical intervention, I can totally see him not telling them, in part because he's already aloof with his family, but also from shame. In his shoes, my 12-year old self would probably have tried to keep it secret too. :/ But even with normal family relationships, I think kids do tend to try to hide it if they're being bullied, out of shame and fear of what their parents will do to embarrass them further.

Aside from not getting a handle on his general attitude problem, he hasn't really given his family any openings to intervene, since his school life was going fine until this incident, which the principle was "helpfully" covering up for him. Smile

Gou and his two friends and Seiha are the only characters in this who haven't behaved badly to varying degrees.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
Personally, I wouldn't have accepted Nobunishi's resignation if I were the coach. I would have told him you're not quitting, cause you're off the team. The principal's line about thinking about the perpetrators' lives kinda pissed me off. They should have thought about their futures when they bent an underclassman over a table, held his arms down, and whipped him (Almost thought it was going in a different direction when they bent him over the table though)
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised Takumi's "punishment" didn't involve water in any shape or form...but i guess then Go wouldn't have been able to lovingly treat his wounds. The guy sure would make a good wife. Laughing

I actually liked how Nobunishi's talk about "doing what you're told" to the coach in ep.5 mirrored what Tomura had said to his former coach aka Takumi's grandpa before. Also, people joining (sports) clubs because it will look good on their resume is not a theme that seems to appear a lot in sports anime where usually everybody seems to be joining out of pure passion for the sport...

Takumi is still an insufferable brat, though. Perhaps i'd think he's cool if i was part of the target audience, but since i'm not, i find his personality very...challenging.
iatheia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is it. Good work, everyone, we can all go home. The series can't get more pretentious than it did this episode, it is an astronomical impossibility. That moment when they all assembled and the sir whipalot acted like he is the injured party is the one for the record books. Takumi isn't much better, mind, his confrontation with the coach made me roll my eyes for hours, but it can't even begin to compare.

In all seriousness, the series needs to be twice longer than it is now to actually be coherent. So far we haven't really seen what's so great about Takumi - compared to most other sports anime protagonists, even just limited to baseball, there isn't much to go on other than he apparently can throw, and that's about it. They keep praising his speed, that one can be injured by it if you are not careful, but if that's the only thing, series like Cross Game did it much better, and they didn't hold their protagonist like the One And Only Savior of Baseball.

We still have no idea why Takumi is interested in Gou. Sure, it was love at first sight, and the wifely charms of the latter are through the roof, but other than catching Takumi's throws, we still have no idea if he is even remotely decent at playing.
We have no idea what Gou is in for in here. They have hinted something going on in his home, but so far that plotline seems abandoned with no hope of ever returning.
We have no idea what the "team" thinks of Takumi's supposed abilities. Sure, they sing praises to him when they aren't trigger happy, but, seriously? Based on what we know, all they've seen were a few throws.
Come to think of it, we've never even seriously seen any of them practicing. It was always only running or "Takumi, come here, amaze us all with your awesome throw, and Gou, you can come in too."
We have no idea whether the Coach Asshat even remotely cares about any of his students and wants to see them succeed and grow. He says one thing, but his actions are all clearly contradict it.

But, whatever. Gou and Seiha are the only pure and good being in this series, and always are a delight, and a fujoshi in me does enjoy the side glances that Takumi sends Gou, so I feel compelled to follow it from week to week, but as far as it being a sports series, it has clearly failed.
chaccide

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:57 pm Reply with quote
^ I don't think this series was meant to be a sports series in the first place. Battery is a metaphor for what the story is about, and baseball is a microcosm for the cultural aspects of Japan that the author is exploring.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Seems like Takumi's bad attitude is rubbing off on Gou now. It was really weird seeing him call out Gou for ignoring his mother. Then again, if he went to kind of try to apologize or patch things up, it was also weird to greet him with, "Get down here." Tsk, I guess that fabled Japanese politeness is just going all to hell with the younger generation.

The BL innuendo was certainly flying thick and fast this episode, wasn't it. Seems a bit unrealistic if all of these kids are gay though. Smile Actually, boys needling each other that way is pretty par for the course I think, especially in team sports.

Gabriella wrote:
At least it's full of 12-year-olds punching each other. Now that's something I can get behind.

Wut? Shocked
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:18 pm Reply with quote
If memory serves, such needling was indeed par for the course at that age if not later as well.

As to that last part, yeah I don't know. Maybe she thinks 12 year olds are annoying and wants to see them punched in the face, but can't really do it herself, as I assume she isn't a violent person (plus legal issues). Thus, she'll settle for them punching each other. That's the best I could come up with, or least the only one I can seriously entertain.

Feel free to correct me if that is incorrect. Actually please do.
Gabbomatic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Gabriella wrote:
At least it's full of 12-year-olds punching each other. Now that's something I can get behind.

Wut? Shocked

I enjoy cartoon violence. Twisted Evil

Note: I do not advocate watching actual children beat each other up for your amusement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5