• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why Does The Crunchyroll Original Series EX-ARM Look So Awful?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure why this is being particularly singled out. Like it looks utterly terrible, because it's anime CG. But every other instance of anime CG I've seen looks at least this bad.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Another great informative and informed article from Mr. May! I agree with Galap that the sample wasn't great, but wasn't the worst ever either. If they don't do something to fix it before "air", the result could just be sub-standard but maybe not enough to qualify as a "train wreak". I think this was "singled out" because it seems a little overly ambitious to give a relatively expensive project to nearly complete novices given how it has turned out so far. Remember HandShakers...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Also we've had studios like Orange who do marvelous work with CGI and even with all the problems with Polygon Picture's animation their work still looks more professional than this.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the key art (especially on the left) isn't great either, but that trailer was pretty terrible. The music also didn't fit as well, but that's definitely a minor issue when compared to the visuals.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
People complain about Netflix Originals anime but they have a much better track record than Crunchyroll Originals thus far.

So, I have a question. What does "Originals" even mean? How much do these companies have in terms of influence and control? Doesn't Netflix use the term for anything that streams exclusively on its platform, whether they were part of the production or not? I mean, some shows like In/Spectre or Tonikaku Kawaii look almost indistinguishable from your average anime while some others look er... yeah.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:37 am Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:

I never heard about that. Care to explain which series or movie you're talking about?

Sure. Magical Girl Friendship Squad was an absolute trainwreck of a show that was negatively compared to Panty and Stocking With Garterbelt, in that it tried to parody magical girls, but it ended up just being ugly to look at, mean spirited, and clearly written by people with a total disdain for anime. The ratings and online views also tanked.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:16 am Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

So, I have a question. What does "Originals" even mean? How much do these companies have in terms of influence and control? Doesn't Netflix use the term for anything that streams exclusively on its platform, whether they were part of the production or not? I mean, some shows like In/Spectre or Tonikaku Kawaii look almost indistinguishable from your average anime while some others look er... yeah.
"Originals" is just a marketing buzzword that basically means sites like Netflix and Crunchyroll have exclusive streaming rights to a title and they won't share it with any other streaming platform but they don't have any real influence in the creative process side of things. But for all the flack they get with their heavy emphasis on CGI anime, I feel like when it comes to licensing shows under the Originals banner, Netflix has had a more successful track record than Crunchyroll with shows that became pretty big hits like Devilman Crybaby, Beastars, and BNA. But even with the popularity Tower of God briefly had with Crunchyroll most people said the original manwha was a lot better than the anime and it feels like most fans have already moved on from that show. God of High School quickly fizzled out even before it finished and is anyone even watching Noblesse?
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:49 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Actar wrote:

"Originals" is just a marketing buzzword that basically means sites like Netflix and Crunchyroll have exclusive streaming rights to a title and they won't share it with any other streaming platform but they don't have any real influence in the creative process side of things. But for all the flack they get with their heavy emphasis on CGI anime, I feel like when it comes to licensing shows under the Originals banner, Netflix has had a more successful track record than Crunchyroll with shows that became pretty big hits like Devilman Crybaby, Beastars, and BNA. But even with the popularity Tower of God briefly had with Crunchyroll most people said the original manwha was a lot better than the anime and it feels like most fans have already moved on from that show. God of High School quickly fizzled out even before it finished and is anyone even watching Noblesse?

It's weird because Crunchyroll and Netflix use the terms entirely differently. For Netflix, it just means "You can only watch this here." But internally, they have "Licensed Originals", "Produced Originals" and in the case of anime: "Production Line Partnership". In the case of anime, licensed originals are Violet Evergarden, Pokemon Journeys etc., Production Line Partnership shows (licensed shows where Netflix signed a deal with them early in production) are B: The Beginning and AICO: Incarnation, and the only produced original so far is EDEN. In fact, EDEN is the only anime they've directly funded.

However, Crunchyroll has been doing co-productions for years. But suddenly there's this new term "Crunchyroll Originals". In the article, I included a quote from Alden Budill, but I highly recommend reading the interview in full, because it's ridiculous. Basically, it appears like it's 100% a marketing term that covers both Crunchyroll Studios shows (High Guardian Spice/Onyx Equinox) and the shows that used to be called "Co-productions" like Tonikawa and EX-ARM.

So in this way, Crunchyroll focuses on co-productions that they refer to as "Originals" while Netflix focuses on exclusive licensing and "Production Line Partnerships" that they can group together as "Originals".
Skerlly Fc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
TheCanipaEffect wrote:
It's weird because Crunchyroll and Netflix use the terms entirely differently. For Netflix, it just means "You can only watch this here." But internally, they have "Licensed Originals", "Produced Originals" and in the case of anime: "Production Line Partnership". In the case of anime, licensed originals are Violet Evergarden, Pokemon Journeys etc., Production Line Partnership shows (licensed shows where Netflix signed a deal with them early in production) are B: The Beginning and AICO: Incarnation, and the only produced original so far is EDEN. In fact, EDEN is the only anime they've directly funded.

However, Crunchyroll has been doing co-productions for years. But suddenly there's this new term "Crunchyroll Originals". In the article, I included a quote from Alden Budill, but I highly recommend reading the interview in full, because it's ridiculous. Basically, it appears like it's 100% a marketing term that covers both Crunchyroll Studios shows (High Guardian Spice/Onyx Equinox) and the shows that used to be called "Co-productions" like Tonikawa and EX-ARM.

So in this way, Crunchyroll focuses on co-productions that they refer to as "Originals" while Netflix focuses on exclusive licensing and "Production Line Partnerships" that they can group together as "Originals".

Greetings, Callum. I know this question is off-topic, but considering how the anime fandom has some rejection towards CGI anime, how much they say that it is not art and stuff like that, and also because some people ask if Netflix is forcing anime studios to produce CGI anime against their will or not, would you consider to make a video answering these questions for the anime audience, Please?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm not really sure why this is being particularly singled out. Like it looks utterly terrible, because it's anime CG. But every other instance of anime CG I've seen looks at least this bad.

While I've never been fond of CG animation in general spoiler[(no matter how good it looks, it's often hard for me to shake that cold, unnatural, and "perfect/clean" look and feel to it)], I do think it's disingenuous to insinuate that every other anime CG looks this bad. SANZIGEN and Orange's work has been exemplary, to the point you sometimes forget it's CG. Polygon, whose work I've never considered close to being worthy of the praise they get, has put out better-looking productions than that. Even Makoto Shinkai's solo effort on Voices from Distant Star fared better.

Yes, there is certainly some bad or unimpressive anime CG out there, some productions are better than others, and I really wish Netflix would stop shoveling so many titles of varying qualities out there, but this is uniquely bottom-of-the-barrel, pre-production level stuff that is deeply misguided at best, and flat lazy at worst spoiler[(based on the article, I'm actually leaning toward the former…)].
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yeehaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
What's with the tiny little maid next to her foot for a second?
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I know we all have to start somewhere, but I really dunno what to think about this.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:

I have to agree, I don't see this looking much worse than other CG anime we've seen lately. Although I suppose the bit about the production staff being newcomers is interesting.
TheCanipaEffect

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Skerlly Fc wrote:
TheCanipaEffect wrote:

Greetings, Callum. I know this question is off-topic, but considering how the anime fandom has some rejection towards CGI anime, how much they say that it is not art and stuff like that, and also because some people ask if Netflix is forcing anime studios to produce CGI anime against their will or not, would you consider to make a video answering these questions for the anime audience, Please?

It's definitely something I've thought about. It's funny if people are saying they're "forcing anime studios produce CGI anime", because they're actually directly contacting CG studios that have done outsourcing work for years and giving them the budget to actually create full series. For instance, Dragon's Dogma's Sublimation was just doing outsourcing work and the short film "Walking Meat" until Netflix offered them a deal. Same with Altered Carbon: Resleeved's Anima.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Just logged in fur the first time in months to say this was a great article.

I was looking forward to this series when it got announced since the manga has amazing art and basically boils down to a more light-hearted, fanservice-oriented Ghost in the Shell (don't think for a second I'm saying it would be half as good as the best entries in that franchise) but after that trailer I was not only OUT but also felt really bad for the mangaka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4