• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY! I can't believe it took almost half a cour to get where it should have started in the first place.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:52 am Reply with quote
Many are excited because the tension and the war began, but I appreciate the show like slice of life Sad
ranran-001

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
There is no way any of this can be walked back. I couldn't find it in me to forgive Hinata. Like, going the distance she did, knowing full well an entire town of monsters will be killed, like nope, no way, I'm done with forgiveness.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:46 pm Reply with quote
This slime is about to go dark! Wipe whole chunks of humanity into none existence! Go nuts and rage on the world! I feel fie him! That’s if course if he survives!!
Cryten

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:11 am Reply with quote
I gotta be honest. I dont like these last two episodes. The anti monster trap is so all encompassing and effective that it feels like a gimmick instead of a natural part of the story. A monster kyptonite that not only makes them significently weaker but shuts off all their skills. There is no response to this in the story nor tactics, just the story forcing everyone to loose. I am coming away from this with a distaste in my mouth. I want it over with. I understand giving them a challenge and heavy odds but the orc lord felt far more like an equal fight then rimuru being crippled.

Now that they have made me feel this way the pay off better be good. Rimuru had heaps of things he would be able to do in a normal fight, like potions, fear aura's string and wind blade attacks and all his various monster transformations. But instead he's just swinging a sword and going straight for gluttony. Why cant he fight like a slime more. I miss that from the early episodes of season 1.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Interesting point about the clone being a bit of a deus ex machina. It's been a while since I read the LN volume this scene comes from, but I think there's a bit of adaptation loss in this case (i.e. I'm pretty sure the LN demonstrated and discussed the capabilities and limitations of the clones in more detail than what's been shown in the anime).

That being said, within the confines of the anime itself, I agree that it's essentially a deus ex machina.

It'll be interesting to see how many more episodes we get before the conflict with Falmuth gets wrapped up. At this point, I'm thinking it'll run to the end of the winter season, just to have a good climax before the 3 month break, but that possibility makes me a bit concerned about what all they'll manage to cover in the summer season.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
As a slime it didn't feel too out of place that Rimuru could split himself off and survive.

It was odd how closed up everyone was being. I get that you don't want to share bad news, but it felt a bit over the top.

Didn't the dwarven king tell Rimuru about the trade issues and benefits regarding Falmuth and Tempest? Yet Rimuru acted like he was hearing this for the first time...
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The extent of Rimuru's clone's powers (getting autonomous thinking, Great Sage, narrator privileges and Gluttony seems like a bit much) might be a bit deus ex but then again so was literally everything the self-righteous otherworlder did.

Quote:
What's so interesting about this little interjection is that it happens at all. The Great Sage is not a person: it's a skill. It's supposed to answer Rimuru's questions about the world. This time, there was no real question, but it still spoke up in the moment when Rimuru needed guidance most. This suggests that the Great Sage might be more than it pretends to be. It seems to have a personality (not to mention a great grasp of comedic timing) and, in this scene at least, seems to care about Rimuru on a personal level.

I wonder what the Great Sage is about, it has sighed, retorted, combined skills to its liking and predates Rimuru for long enough to be responsible for writing his character sheet. It's autonomous, yet pretends to be a mindless robotic skill.

Also, what about the mole? There's a mole in his midst and the timing and looks of the merchant (did we know him before this arc?) were just yelling IT WAS ME. Let's see which of two rumors spreads.

Quote:
• It's nice to hear that Shuna wasn't kidnapped and raped as Shogo planned.

Although we have yet to learn how she got away and how the three jerks vanished.

Covnam wrote:
Didn't the dwarven king tell Rimuru about the trade issues and benefits regarding Falmuth and Tempest? Yet Rimuru acted like he was hearing this for the first time...

Not only that, the guy who told him had also warned him before. I get the arc would have been harder to set up with Rimuru being hyper-aware and cautious, but did he really need to be that braindead? Most of what happened was completely out of his hands anyway, even if he wanted to prepare he lacked the time and information, and he had a previous obligation to attend.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I totally agree that not mentioning Shion at all was a huge omission, as she was the character whose fate was probably most uncertain. (I wondered about her myself.) In fact, I'm quite surprised that there wasn't even more carnage; why did the Falmuth knights back off? They must have considered subjugating more a priority than eliminating Tempest, which has some interesting "big picture" implications.

And yeah, I'm also curious now about what Great Sage actually is. It doesn't seem to just be a manifestation of Rimuru's powers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Myulan can't go against Clayman, even if she wanted to. He plays with her heart to make her do his bidding without having to force her (because it entertains him to break people), but if push comes to shove, she can't go against his order, because he holds her heart. It let's him control her like a puppet. That's why she is so understanding about letting the others kill her - it's the only way she can see to potentially end the spell, since she can't.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:29 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
Myulan can't go against Clayman, even if she wanted to. He plays with her heart to make her do his bidding without having to force her (because it entertains him to break people), but if push comes to shove, she can't go against his order, because he holds her heart. It let's him control her like a puppet. That's why she is so understanding about letting the others kill her - it's the only way she can see to potentially end the spell, since she can't.

IOW, it's a similar situation to Naraku and Kagura in Inuyasha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
One has to remember that the Slime has never played political games, never run a country before. He is a good natured person these are not cut out to be policy leaders! One must be cunning or false to hold political office. Two faced and hollow of the soul! A sell out who mouths blBS to get elected and hold power through any means assignation, defamation! Lies and force! That’s the real power game! Any honest political figure could tell you power is everything all else is nativity in the extreme! Something the normal slime was holy unprepared for!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
I can answer the question about the barrier Myulan put up: even if she is killed, the barrier will remain. It doesn't require her to concentrate to maintain it. Left alone, it will dissipate naturally over time (a few days or so).

Just as a reminder, though, that's only one of the barriers. There's a second barrier inside outside of the one Myulan raised.

Also, the reason for the retreat of the initial force from Felmuth: they were there to establish a pretext for future actions against and/or negotiations with Tempest. The King of Felmuth is riding in with the main force, which will get there about a week after the initial attack.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:45 am Reply with quote
Seriously Hinata really showed how powerful she can be,its a good thing that Rimuru pulled out before she could finish him. A rival at his height proving that Rimuru is not invincible

@Yttrbio well, in view of the previous episodes I say Tensura has succeeded.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Yeah, I totally agree that not mentioning Shion at all was a huge omission, as she was the character whose fate was probably most uncertain. (I wondered about her myself.) In fact, I'm quite surprised that there wasn't even more carnage; why did the Falmuth knights back off? They must have considered subjugating more a priority than eliminating Tempest, which has some interesting "big picture" implications.

Yeah I thought it was odd too that we got to Tempest only to find it still standing and the knights having left on their own. Saying they want their surrender, I guess Falmuth would rather use Tempest as trading hub (or similar) they can control and leach off of. And then if they can't do that, destroy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 45