• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Yaoi Paddle Kickstarter Aims to Revitalize Anime Fandom History

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:58 am Reply with quote
... Bruh, I will admit that I am a doujinshi/yaoi fan but I wouldn't even support this Kickstarter D:

Quote:
Henry AL urged backers not to whack people without consent, writing, "We had a nice thing, and it took a lot of work to bring it back, so let's make sure to keep it wholesome."

... I think this guy needs to know something: the customers who mostly consume yaoi products are women. D: If he wants to make a product under this category, should seriously cater the immediate customers, or something! Idk guys-- this just melted my brain cells DX I'm curious now how he's even going to make this product WHOLESOME~

I can't even... *currently still processing that such things exist* >.<
tailor31415

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
"spanking accessory" is that what they're called for fraternities and sororities? because they have them decoratively to this day and no one mocks them for it
Picky33

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing “get your Yaoi Panels here” sung at every anime I went to on the east coast. For my group it’s one of those things you dared everyone to buy like a Sheryl temple for the biggest guy at a bar.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
And to those saying you can make one at home: I call bull. I have 4 planks of wood at home and no saw or sander to cut these planks down and make shelves. Making a yaoi paddle is more than making a kitchen wooden spoon. Jeez.

I never said it needed to be carved from scratch by hand, you can get a canoe paddle for around $20 on Amazon. I can't imagine the Kickstarter version would end up very different from it
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Nothing says like showing your love for something like sending someone else to the hospital.

DON'T BUY THESE! And if you don't DO NOT TAKE THEM TO CONVENTIONS!. Most Conventions have these in Banned props due to incidents in the past that involved people being SERIOUSLY INJURED!

Someone was put into a Wheelchair because of these. Reviving these are very very VERY bad idea..

Only buy them or support the Kickstarter if you want to get sent to jail for assaulting someone with a paddle like the person who crushed someone's tailbone >.<.

EDIT: honestly, I'm REALLY disappointed in ANN for not even mentioning this history in the article you know the whole.. SENT TO PRISION FOR ASSAULTING SOMEONE with a paddle as a joke thing.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Anyone trying to make a business out of this is either working in incredibly bad faith to the history of anime fandom or pulling a grift. Or more realistically, doing both.

Quote:
The items were eventually banned from conventions due to their misuse as weapons or for harassment. Henry AL urged backers not to whack people without consent, writing, "We had a nice thing, and it took a lot of work to bring it back, so let's make sure to keep it wholesome."

No Henry, "we" did not, and the entire reason they were banned is because we did not, so this is most definitely fully acting in bad faith. Hen Da Ne not only propagated but was one of the key sources of toxic 2000s anime con culture.

I hope for the kickstarter to get rightfully shut down.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
I hope for the kickstarter to get rightfully shut down.

Honestly, I'm not one for reporting things on Kickstarter, but I did, honestly, report the paddles on Kickstarter given the history. I'm 40 year old; I'm well aware of the very bad history and the many reported injuries of the Paddle history... People did NOT ask for consent to paddle and thus the infamous incident. People destroyed their paddles spanking people... >.< meaning.. .they didn't TAP... they SMACKED.

There is a reason they're in the weapon's policy of Anime Cons.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
See, this is why I'll never get into yaoi. They're all about adult men domming a teenage sub. Props to the "fans" of the past that satirized it, and a good thing we have Yuri on Ice these days.

You clearly know nothing about the BL genre. You're biased on your perception of it. 95% of "yaoi" is nothing like you said and is just a generalized Romance trope that is also in Yuri and Straight romance...

Just like how all hentai aren't full of tentacles. Anime hyper

"yaoi" btw is just the super smexy stuff. It's just BL hentai.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
See, this is why I'll never get into yaoi. They're all about adult men domming a teenage sub.

No offense, but it sounds like you haven't actually read much BL if you think that's what all of them are about. There's a lot more variety than that, especially nowadays; it's not the early to mid 2000s anymore, even though a lot of stereotypes from that period are all most people seem to know about it.

Guilty as charged. "Teenage" is probably an exaggeration (most of the "subs" are legal), I've just seen a lot of clips that indicate what I described. I'm not 100% against yaoi though; Doukyuushi from a while back looks visually interesting, and there's that one from this season (Sasaki and Miyano, I think it's called) that seems delightfully wholesome by comparison to other shows.

Still though, a lot of the yaoi (and yuri) shows still speak to a fetishization of homoerotic material, like it's something to be jerked off too rather than something to be taken seriously or enjoyed for "normal" sake. Part of the reason why Bloom Into You got so successful is BECAUSE it took its characters seriously and portrayed an uplifting story that didn't rely on fanservice. I'm just saying, more stuff like that, and less stuff that just serves as a painful reminder of how homophobic Japan continues to be.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I fully respect the much-maligned "yaoi fangirls" and their contributions to the convention scene over the years -- monitoring/supervising some of those "Yaoi After Dark" panels as staff was always a wild time. But some things are best left in the dustbins of history, or in the case of Yaoi Paddles, the 3-Story Concrete Sarcophagus of History. But now, there are those like Henry AL who would disturb that tomb and unleash ancient horrors upon the world again. I guess that those of us in the convention-running circuit will have to be on our guard against the paddles' return, as with a forgotten and eradicated virus being reintroduced to a population grown complacent under herd immunity. Though if this KS does succeed, can they at least find a font other than Comic Sans to use??

Lady Multi wrote:
Nothing says like showing your love for something like sending someone else to the hospital.

DON'T BUY THESE! And if you don't DO NOT TAKE THEM TO CONVENTIONS!. Most Conventions have these in Banned props due to incidents in the past that involved people being SERIOUSLY INJURED!

Someone was put into a Wheelchair because of these. Reviving these are very very VERY bad idea..

Only buy them or support the Kickstarter if you want to get sent to jail for assaulting someone with a paddle like the person who crushed someone's tailbone >.<.

EDIT: honestly, I'm REALLY disappointed in ANN for not even mentioning this history in the article you know the whole.. SENT TO PRISION FOR ASSAULTING SOMEONE with a paddle as a joke thing.
According to the Red Bard video linked in the article, at least one of the major "paralyzed by yaoi paddle" stories was false/exaggerated. Although it's certainly likely that some yaoi paddle incidents have ended with serious injuries and/or prison time.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Lady Multi wrote:

You know 'buying' and 'using' are two different things, right? I want one to put on a shelf, not to take to cons (not that I could if I wanted to anyway). Just a nostalgic reminder.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Guilty as charged. "Teenage" is probably an exaggeration (most of the "subs" are legal), I've just seen a lot of clips that indicate what I described. I'm not 100% against yaoi though; Doukyuushi from a while back looks visually interesting, and there's that one from this season (Sasaki and Miyano, I think it's called) that seems delightfully wholesome by comparison to other shows.

Still though, a lot of the yaoi (and yuri) shows still speak to a fetishization of homoerotic material, like it's something to be jerked off too rather than something to be taken seriously or enjoyed for "normal" sake. Part of the reason why Bloom Into You got so successful is BECAUSE it took its characters seriously and portrayed an uplifting story that didn't rely on fanservice. I'm just saying, more stuff like that, and less stuff that just serves as a painful reminder of how homophobic Japan continues to be.

BL is certainly a genre that thrives in manga and hasn't gotten a lot of decent rep in anime quite yet (though Given is a fantastic example imo - haven't seen Sasaki and Miyano yet - also the series you mentioned is actually Dokyuusei), but there are two angles I want to approach this from:
one is that the genre has evolved in leaps and bounds since the early 2000's, with many artists taking onboard criticisms and clarifications from the LGBT community, with many of the more harmful stereotypes and concepts rapidly disappearing from modern stories and falling out of favour with readers.

the other is that, it's fine for trashy stuff to exist. You might wanna sit down for this, but: LGBT people jack off too. It's not like all or even most of straight media is careful portrayals of relationships or sexuality either (on average it's likely much worse. Like man... take a glance at shoujo manga), and it's fine for the story equivalent of junk food to exist too - I don't think BL and yuri should be held to some special standard where only 'pure' works are acceptable. A lot of the point of sexuality, is, well, sex.
Plus some people's outlooks on such stories are just different - as a bi woman I find the 'wholesome flowerchild' brand of yuri stories to be just as fetishistic in the opposite direction (in the sense that most yuri media is 'girls are pure uwu' and is just as unrealistic). Others may perceive it differently though, and that's fine too.

In apology for being somewhat off topic - in the UK I ended up totally missing experiencing this phenomenon. It's probably fine if people just have them for home decoration/memento if they have memories of that time and never bring them to cons, but it's still very not cool to make them expressly against the wishes of the original creator.
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Oggers wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
See, this is why I'll never get into yaoi. They're all about adult men domming a teenage sub.

No offense, but it sounds like you haven't actually read much BL if you think that's what all of them are about. There's a lot more variety than that, especially nowadays; it's not the early to mid 2000s anymore, even though a lot of stereotypes from that period are all most people seem to know about it.

??? There's BL that's pretty SFW too, and ones that aren't as sexually explicit. I don't understand why people use this argument when shoujo manga (and teens love comics) all under the "something to be jerked off to rather than something to be taken seriously" as well.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
it took its characters seriously and portrayed an uplifting story that didn't rely on fanservice. I'm just saying, more stuff like that

Good news! There are huge, heaping mountains of manga and light novels and novels doing exactly that, if you ever bothered to look for any of them. Y'know, instead of making sweeping, poorly informed statements about subgenres you, by your own admission, aren't terribly familiar with.

On the actual topic, this seems like 8 different kinds of bad idea. There are a lot of things from the mid-2000s era con culture that died deserved deaths, and paddles were definitely one of them. Keep these in the grave next to glomping and colossus screams.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:10 am Reply with quote
Even speaking as someone who purchased one of the original Hen Da Ne paddles back in the 00s (and was far more responsible with it than many, regardless of the irresponsibility with my wallet that led to its purchase), I fully agree with others saying these belong in the past. The associated history is not the kind of thing we should romanticize as part of "the good old days" of convention-going or some such.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6