• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya Manga's Live-Action Knights of the Zodiac Film Earns US$535,000 in U.S. Opening We

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glordit

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:18 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Glordit wrote:

Also, DBE had Dragonball in the title so people knew what they were getting. Calling this Knights of the Zodiac wasn't the wisest choice,

Except looking at it’s name in other regions that’s essentially what it was called in other parts of the world outside of the U.S. though in some instances the title was combined.

I am unsure if we got it a few years ago when it was on Netflix, I know its on Crunchyroll under Saint Seiya. I checked cinema listings and after some digging in social media (it wasn't listed on the cinemas site) it's under Knights Of The Zodiac. Some people have put 2 and 2 together going by the comments, others are thinking it's yet another Marvel film.

I guess it comes down to whether the original was popular in your region or not.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Seems like no one here from the comments saw it ? ^^

I wonder why they did not release the movie at the same time in every countries. Even many news sites in France are relying that the broadcast was disaster in the countries it was released, which would probably make people less want to go watch it. And France is supposed to be one of the most fan country how dare they put us behind so many others....

Moreover it will be released at the end of the month, usually when people tend to try save money... Amazing move... Really..

Well I will still go watch it.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
I am unsure if we got it a few years ago when it was on Netflix, I know its on Crunchyroll under Saint Seiya.

It was as a subtitle.

https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1184066437670932480 (includes screencap from when it was on Netflix)

It's also on the image used on Crunchyroll.

https://www.crunchyroll.com/series/GRJQVJNXY/saint-seiya

While Viz used both names for the manga release from the start, it wasn't until Bamco's release of the Brave Soldiers game in 2013 where Toei started using the Knights of the Zodiac name as a subtitle for English releases and since then, almost everything released in English has it from the OOP Cinedigm DVDs, to the Soldiers' Soul game (and later mobile game afterwards) to the Discotek movies Blu-ray (which was new for them since the previous DVDs also from 2013 didn't have it).
Mushrinku

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Glordit wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:
HMMM....that is really bad right? Since I am pretty sure Dragon Ball Evolution, another horribly-received live action adaptation got higher box office than this, not to mention inflation.

Who greenlit this project? Does the producers really believe such half-assed effort can make Saint Seiya a main stream hit in the west? (To be fair, Saint seiya franchise is huge in the Latin region so cultural barrier is no excuse) Or is the whole thing a money-laundering scheme? People claim the latest Fast and Furious would be THE flop of the year, but I do believe this one takes the cake.

Surprisingly DBE made a profit. According to this at least: https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Dragonball-Evolution

Also, DBE had Dragonball in the title so people knew what they were getting. Calling this Knights of the Zodiac wasn't the wisest choice, unless you know of the animated series or manga, you'd just think this yet another 'action hero film'.

calling it knights of the zodiac is a MUCH wiser choice than calling it saint seiya. at least knights of the zodiac could somehow sound intriguing to westerners because everyone know what zodiac is.
on the otherhand saint seiya sounds like mumbo jumbo and nobody would know what it is or what it even means.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:

I wonder why they did not release the movie at the same time in every countries.

It's largely because they have to deal with dozens of theatre chains and local film distributors worldwide where the best weekend to open a film in each country will vary depending on what other movies are playing that weekend and the number of screens available, plus different countries have different holidays where it might be more advantageous to open a film during a holiday weekend (or not to open a film, if it's the sort of holiday where film attendance goes down).

It's also just money. Disney has the money to brute force a tentpole Marvel or Star Wars movie onto a maximum number of screens worldwide at roughly the same time and Toei does not. But even Disney often staggers the release window of their biggest films between different countries, sometimes even opening films overseas a weekend or two before the American release possibly because they're using certain smaller overseas markets as a test market to decide how many screens to book domestically in the United States (and Canada, which is considered "domestic" for the purposes of international box office) and also, if the film does particularly well overseas, for advertising purposes in the United States ("see the number one movie worldwide this weekend!").

kgw wrote:

I, on the other hand, I think this and the other modern adaptations are aimed towards the US more than a vague "international market". It's as if Toei or whoever was behind this said "Look, Seiya and his friends are superheroes, like the Avengers. People they love superheroes, so we SHOULD be earwing a lot of money with Seiya!"
And they forgot what made Saint Seiya so popular all over the world.

Nah, if Toei's plan was primarily focused on the North American market, they'd have released this film at a slower time of year at the box office (i.e. September or January), not during May, traditionally considered the start of the big "summer" box office season when fewer screens are available to smaller films due to tentpole blockbusters from the likes of Disney and Universal playing on the maximum number of screens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 6:32 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:

I wonder why they did not release the movie at the same time in every countries.

It's largely because they have to deal with dozens of theatre chains and local film distributors worldwide where the best weekend to open a film in each country will vary depending on what other movies are playing that weekend and the number of screens available, plus different countries have different holidays where it might be more advantageous to open a film during a holiday weekend (or not to open a film, if it's the sort of holiday where film attendance goes down).

It's also just money. Disney has the money to brute force a tentpole Marvel or Star Wars movie onto a maximum number of screens worldwide at roughly the same time and Toei does not. But even Disney often staggers the release window of their biggest films between different countries, sometimes even opening films overseas a weekend or two before the American release possibly because they're using certain smaller overseas markets as a test market to decide how many screens to book domestically in the United States (and Canada, which is considered "domestic" for the purposes of international box office) and also, if the film does particularly well overseas, for advertising purposes in the United States ("see the number one movie worldwide this weekend!").

Ah ok thanks.
Wemm for example Suzume was almost at the same time for western countries, so I thought Saint Seiya, which is a sort of a more famous IP could do that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3