• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2023 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Anime Binge-Watcher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:09 am Reply with quote
NGL I almost burst out laughing at the Ryza ED pretty much consisting of nothing but slow panning shots over Ryza's butt, thighs and boobs. Can't accuse them of not giving the people what they want, I suppose.
Daerian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:57 am Reply with quote
TBH I would really be happier without so much fanservice. Games were nowhere near that fanservicy (there were few panning shots at the beginning to show all characters' design, but rest is mostly players doing a lot of work with camera), while anime in this aspect seems to be made based on Internet thirst.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:55 am Reply with quote
It's really is a weird choice to make the atelier anime all about fan service, none of the game are very focus on that, and with their simple design/story/gameplay and low key stakes and female main character they probably have a good amount of kids and women player.

I've not played the Ryza version, but the story/writing tend to be pretty bad and they're more about the gameplay, so maybe they though they needed something to spice it since there was no gameplay to accompany?

Also can we please stop with the double/triple/quadruple length first episode? I get it, they're trying to fake that they have a really good story since it used to be associated with ambitious story. But with streaming, it's just meaningless posing.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:25 am Reply with quote
Just piping in to note that the mange of Ooku didn't use "Elizabethan English," it just used awkwardly constructed English that the translator thought sounded archaic and it's why I could never get into the series. If the anime subs have ditched that terrible choice, I may finally start the series.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:39 am Reply with quote
You know, in relation to am I the strongest trying to be the most generic isekai to isekai, and since some isekai have started toying with the idea of people being reincarnated multiple time, I have a pitch to make to the anime gods.

A mix of isekai x groundhog days x silent hill.

Some guy has been reincarnated thousands of time, doing the same things over and over again. Throughout the series we slowly get to learn more and more about him, realizing that he's really an awful person (the usual isekai protag, assume he deserves everything for a minimal amount of efforts, solve everything with violence, doesn't bother helping most people despite his unlimited power, buy slaves). We eventually find out that the entire isekai system is there as some sort of purgatory, dangerous young man are truck-kun for the rest of society safety, they're then sent into matrix/isekai world with monster to kill, to sate their killing fantasy, and sex slave (sometime underage) to sate their sex fantasy. The goal is for them to realize that they're kinda crappy people and learn to become better people. But that one guy just refuse to better himself.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:39 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I might be wrong, but I seem to remember Miroku explaining the four aspects in relation to the Shikon Jewel in Inuyasha. No idea which episode though.

You are correct, and that's where I first heard of this Shinto philosophy as well. I think there were also a few demons in the Shin Megami Tensei franchise with these names, too.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Just caught Mushoku Tensei S2 premier and while I can see Mr. Eisenbeis' POV, I really liked that they backed up from the end scenes of S1 starting with Sylphie primarily because she dropped off the map. I think everyone including the anime staff knows that fans will hang around at minimum to see where Rudeus goes next but if they lead off with that, it will be odd to try to steer interest to the "court intrigue" parallel arc once they start down that road. It might actually be important later to introduce that before too long so the idea is "simmering" in people's minds until it organically connects later. As for the artwork and sakuga, it seems plenty good to me.
KariOhki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:02 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also can we please stop with the double/triple/quadruple length first episode? I get it, they're trying to fake that they have a really good story since it used to be associated with ambitious story. But with streaming, it's just meaningless posing.

In the case of Ryza, it feels like they wanted to get the setup done to the point where she gets accepted to become an alchemist. Probably could've trimmed out some of the initial character setup to get them off the island a little faster, but I found the pacing overall fine in this case.

And in the Atelier series I've always found Ryza to have some of the more generic writing in terms of game plot, the Dusk trilogy (which had its own partial anime adaptation with Escha & Logy) is much better. Ryza as a whole skewed more towards fanservice compared to previous games anyway.

For other series I'm watching, Yohane the Parhelion is turning out a bit more generic than I'd hoped when it came to "Aqours, but fantasy" - didn't expect the modern fantasy setting but apparently it's this way in the manga. Definitely skewing more towards existing fans of the Sunshine subseries of LL after two episodes

On the other hand, BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!! (the band name has all those exclamation marks, fyi) is the opposite where it's skewing away from the three previous seasons and setting up a much harder hitting story. They dropped three episodes at once for a reason, with the first two being an introduction into where things are and what's going on from Anon's point of view, leading into probably what is the most unique episode of anime I've seen in a LONG time in the third episode - it's worth going at least this far to see if anything's intriguing plot or character-wise for you.
spacedin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:12 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Do you not understand how preview guide works?

Your reply is 100% accurate. However, it occurs quite a bit more often than in the preview guide. Why complain in the preview guide, then? Because the weekly reviews and other articles and columns are siloed (sorry can't think of a better word) meaning that griping in the preview guide increases the chances of getting the complaints seen.
spacedin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:17 pm Reply with quote
KariOhki wrote:
And in the Atelier series I've always found Ryza to have some of the more generic writing in terms of game plot, the Dusk trilogy (which had its own partial anime adaptation with Escha & Logy) is much better. Ryza as a whole skewed more towards fanservice compared to previous games anyway.

That is interesting. I have seen it written - and in multiple places no less - that the cover art and promotional materials for the Ryza series is misleading to the point of bait and switch because the Ryza games actually contain less fanservice i.e. fewer trips to the beach and hot springs etc. than the other games.
instantradio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Full disclosure: I like Love Live a lot, and I'm really enjoying Genjitsu no Yohane, but I understand that not everyone will agree with me, and not everyone likes idol or idol-adjacent anime. However, I take some offense to Caitlin's complaints about Aika Kobayashi's performance and Hanamaru's "vocal tic." Thinking a character is cliche or annoying doesn't mean their VA is doing a bad job. Also, Hanamaru doesn't have a "vocal tic," she is speaking in a dialect, a real one, from Shizuoka prefecture. Calling that a vocal tic when it's very easy to learn otherwise is rather racist in my opinion.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
About Mushoku Tensei, while everybody is talking about the difference in animation, I wonder if I'm not the only one kinda shocked by the rape joke. Not even Chainsaw Man went this far back in season 1. I think this Konosuba movie material though
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:40 pm Reply with quote
instantradio wrote:
However, I take some offense to Caitlin's complaints about Aika Kobayashi's performance and Hanamaru's "vocal tic." Thinking a character is cliche or annoying doesn't mean their VA is doing a bad job. Also, Hanamaru doesn't have a "vocal tic," she is speaking in a dialect, a real one, from Shizuoka prefecture. Calling that a vocal tic when it's very easy to learn otherwise is rather racist in my opinion.

She didn't though and it does at time feel forced in ep 1 almost like she is hiding sadness. But there is nothing about the VA being bad
spacedin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
TBH I would really be happier without so much fanservice. Games were nowhere near that fanservicy (there were few panning shots at the beginning to show all characters' design, but rest is mostly players doing a lot of work with camera), while anime in this aspect seems to be made based on Internet thirst.

The Atelier games are niche. The Ryza ones are the most successful by far and even they have only 2 million unit sales across 3 games with most of those going to loyal fans of the franchise buying multiple installments. It works financially for the games because they are inexpensive to make and promote, but a successful anime series needs a much bigger audience than that. The options for drawing a bigger anime audience weren't great. Hiring Ufotable, Pierrot, Wit, KyoAni, PA Works or Madhouse (rather the Madhouse 10 years ago) for great animation and production values would have been too expensive. I don't think that making the anime darker, more violent and action-oriented than the games would have gone over well either. Neither would have making the yuri subtext that a very vocal minority insists exists in the games text (because this minority is exactly that).

That left going after the crowd whose only exposure to this franchise are the Internet memes that you referenced, plus a shonen crowd that honestly does reliably respond to fanservice. Whatever merits "Banished From The Hero's Party" might have had, no way it gets a second season had the anime production committee not decided to make Rit far more buxom than she was in the source material. By contrast, the author of Wandering Witch Elaina was able to use creative control to prevent that series from having fanservice and - despite its source material being much more successful and better known and the series receiving far more marketing and hype - no second season has been greenlit.

If I recall correctly from Bakuman, anime has a "3 episode rule." Wouldn't be a surprise if Ryza piles on the fanservice early to get viewers and will then drop it in favor of a more faithful adaptation of the games for the remainder of the series. That is what happened with Mieruko-chan a couple years back. Was much to the consternation of a lot of commenters on ANN, but it worked. A low profile horror series successfully used giving the audience lots of good looks at the female leads Miko and Hana to get a lot of young males on board early, and then used the story to retain most of them the rest of the way.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the cover of the third game where Ryza is a giant and Tao and Lent stare across a chasm at her colossal meaty thighs

Thanks, now I can't unsee that Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 17