• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Undead Unluck

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Catching up to 2 week's worth of episodes now, had to check the manga to confirm, amazing that the author was setting up (manga spoilers) spoiler[The Loops] this early with the part about spoiler[Victor asking what day of the week it is and Shen having no idea what he's talking about].
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:45 am Reply with quote
They really went all out on the Union vs Victor fight. David Production absolutely killed it.

Everybody got a moment, but Fuko's and that kiss stole the show (though Top, Shen, and Juiz came close). And Andy finally calls her by name! Wicked Sick!

And, as always, it's all up from here!
Meexa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:50 am Reply with quote
I think it will be fine on hulu. The manga is what kept it alive, fan base too strong.

Emerje wrote:
Fuuko is such a great character, she spoiler[can hold her own against any male shonen protagonist when it comes to guts and bravery, but she's also quite clever, her power makes her great at thinking outside the box.]

spoiler[Post-time skip she does toughen up, but ultimately she is still the same soft Fuuko that needs Andy as her backbone. However, I don't find that to be a bad thing, I believe it adds to her character.] Other than that—yeah—majority of manga/anime/game (stories in general) shows that trope eventually.
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:30 am Reply with quote
Lol at spoiler[Juiz looking like she sucked a lemon when Fuuko smashed her tits in Andy's face, that must be so awkward. I do love the early foreshadowing of the two's relationship with him making sure be was personally fighting against her ]. The kiss scene was so cute, I didn't even remember that they kissed this early.

Also Shen's ass has been doing so much pr for this show on twitter it's actually hilarious lol
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:36 am Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
Also Shen's ass has been doing so much pr for this show on twitter it's actually hilarious lol

Shen regularly ranks towards the top of the Shonen Jump character rankings, he's a very popular character among everyone regardless of what his ass is doing. Laughing

Incidentally, spoiler[Victor calling Juiz by name was no mistake. The end credits animation should give some of that away.]

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Glad there was an active Talkback thread on this. Would never have even considered subbing to Hulu if not, and this show was totally worth it.

Although, another thread that makes me wish ANN's spoiler boxes were darkmode-friendly Laughing
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:24 am Reply with quote
I was trying to figure out why spoiler[Juiz in the Unjustice reveal shot] in the latest episode didn't look quite as impactful as it did for me in the manga, since it is one of my favourite pages the series. And then I realized, it's because the anime can't really replicate the way Tozuka-Sensei will often draw characters with a white dot/circle in the center of their pupils. I assume the anime being in colour would make this effect difficult to implement/look really weird, so I can't really complain.
Still, I would highly recommend checking out manga chapter 20 for spoiler[that double-page spread] alone.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I’m very excited for more people to become Juiz fans.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:01 pm Reply with quote
The true scope of Undead Unluck's world and Union's mission is starting to unfurl in the most epic and Wicked Sick way possible...and Juiz gets to finally show off.

Also, was really not expecting Yuki Kaji as that character!
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:49 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite aspects of UU's universe has always been the entire central idea of Rules/UMAs and how deeply they affect the world, and Galaxy and Language in particular are the biggest examples yet of just how large the scale of the situation is. Big fan of that trippy effect used for Galaxy, and of course, Juiz is absolutely gorgeous.

(Also, big thanks for this angle!)

Meexa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:22 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
One of my favorite aspects of UU's universe has always been the entire central idea of Rules/UMAs and how deeply they affect the world, and Galaxy and Language in particular are the biggest examples yet of just how large the scale of the situation is. Big fan of that trippy effect used for Galaxy, and of course, Juiz is absolutely gorgeous.

(Also, big thanks for this angle!)

Fuuko thinks she is average. But low key, she is a thic mommy. Another story trope, where the girl main character believes she is not attractive.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:59 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:

And because life isn't fair, even spoiler[rewards can be penalties for some negators] as we'll soon see. Also I can't help but think from here on out the English dub will be more accurate than the original Japanese language.

The question people should really be asking after watching this episode is spoiler[if the only thing out there in space before was the moon then where are Fuko's meteors coming from? There is an answer but it's still a long ways off.] Sometimes I don't know if the writer is a genius or just really good at fixing their mistakes.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
This is the mini-arc that really got me into the manga. I’m pretty excited for the next few episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:24 pm Reply with quote
If everyone except Negators now speaks and reads English and only English and it's "always been this way," why are there still place names like Las Vegas and Rio de Janiero and Brasil? We saw all the signage update when the change occurred. So why are they not The Meadows and January River and Brasilwoodland?
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If everyone except Negators now speaks and reads English and only English and it's "always been this way," why are there still place names like Las Vegas and Rio de Janiero and Brasil? We saw all the signage update when the change occurred. So why are they not The Meadows and January River and Brasilwoodland?

Simply put, those words become English. Like wa saw before the names of places in Japan were suddenly changed to English spellings, but the names of people and places didn't change. English itself is made largely of borrowed words, it seems the rule allows for cultural and regional variations as long as people around the world understand each other.

Emerje
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8