• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Winter 2024 Daily Streaming Reviews

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I am glad Gushing Over Magical Girls made it in.

Zomb1e13 wrote:
Honestly, gushing shouldn't have even been an option. The staff have already been pretty clear on how they feel about the show and the reviewers time would have been better spent on something else.

I am sure ANN had the option to not cover it if they wished to.
Uchay

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Zomb1e13 wrote:
Honestly, gushing shouldn't have even been an option. The staff have already been pretty clear on how they feel about the show and the reviewers time would have been better spent on something else.

A lot of people vote for shows the reviewers really disliked hoping to get amusing joke reviews, specially if the premiere reviews were funny to read and said show ends up with either James or Nicholas, the ones who normally write high quality memes on the reviews if a show is specially bad. I sometimes reread the reviews on Hand Shakers, Ex-arms and that one show about popes with baby hitler when I'm feeling down. Those reviews are actually works of a r t, and the sole reason I watched those shows back in the day.

Personally, shows that "are so bad that loop back into being good" are super rare, and I don't think this season in particular had any that would be inspired enough to help the reviewers produce high quality memes. Gushing most issues comes from the fact its got some troublesome aspects that can understandably irk people, and that's really the only issue with it --- it's not meme review material, though I'm also pretty sure many people legitimately wanted to see being reviewed, specially once it gets into the meat of manga story.
Gnarth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Zomb1e13 wrote:

I'm fairly certain that's not what the user meant. I think they're just understanbly not excited at the possible prospect of hate-watching reviews. Those are always frankly a waste of time and only benefit those who already dislike the show and are therefore uninterested, while those who care are ignored at best and mocked at worst.

Though, this is obviously all hypothetical. I hope the reviewer who got chosen did not hate the premiere and will provide a constructive perspective.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
So the full list of Preview Guide entries that didn't make the cut is:

1. 'Tis Time for "Torture," Princess
  2. Banished From The Heroes' Party Season 2
  3. Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki 2: Second Stage
  4. Cherry Magic! Thirty Years of Virginity Can Make You a Wizard?!
  5. Classroom of the Elite Season 3
  6. Delusional Monthly Magazine
  7. Doctor Elise: The Royal Lady with the Lamp
  8. Fluffy Paradise
  9. High Card Season 2
  10. Hokkaido Gals Are Super Adorable!
  11. Ishura
  12. Meiji Gekken: 1874
  13. Mr. Villain's Day Off
  14. My Instant Death Ability Is So Overpowered
  15. Sasaki and Peeps
  16. Snack Basue
  17. Synduality: Noir Season 2
  18. Tales of Wedding Rings
  19. The Demon Prince of Momochi House
  20. The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil
  21. The Strongest Tank's Labyrinth Raids
  22. The Unwanted Undead Adventurer
  23. The Weakest Tamer Began a Journey to Pick Up Trash
  24. Tsukimichi -Moonlit Fantasy Season 2

Wow, Precure is so off-the-radar that people fail to even mention it among the also-rans.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I am glad Gushing Over Magical Girls made it in.

That’s true. Like how they decided to not cover the Kenshin remake because they didn’t want to support Watsuki in any way
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Wow, Precure is so off-the-radar that people fail to even mention it among the also-rans.

I did say "Preview Guide entries". Pretty Cure's not on the list because it wasn't in the preview guide, because it hasn't started yet.
InfiniteNothingness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
and that one show about popes with baby hitler

"Vatican Miracle Examiner
"?

And count me in for those hoping Gushing gets a legitimate review, yeah. Any issues with its conceit I can get as being majorly squicky, but I've read about it just enough to be personally piqued and, as said before, put it on the list.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
Zomb1e13 wrote:

A lot of people vote for shows the reviewers really disliked hoping to get amusing joke reviews, specially if the premiere reviews were funny to read and said show ends up with either James or Nicholas, the ones who normally write high quality memes on the reviews if a show is specially bad. I sometimes reread the reviews on Hand Shakers, Ex-arms and that one show about popes with baby hitler when I'm feeling down. Those reviews are actually works of a r t, and the sole reason I watched those shows back in the day.

Personally, shows that "are so bad that loop back into being good" are super rare, and I don't think this season in particular had any that would be inspired enough to help the reviewers produce high quality memes. Gushing most issues comes from the fact its got some troublesome aspects that can understandably irk people, and that's really the only issue with it --- it's not meme review material, though I'm also pretty sure many people legitimately wanted to see being reviewed, specially once it gets into the meat of manga story.

Pretty sure this one's genuine interest in seeing it reviewed. It had a Community Score of over 4 in the PG, and series that people want to see lambasted always have ratings much lower than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I mostly feel sorry for the reviewers. If a reviewer doesn’t like the material and doesn’t enjoy hate watching shows in order to roast them (as some do, but the ANN reviewers don’t seem to though I could be wrong), they shouldn’t have to review it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:44 pm Reply with quote
InfiniteNothingness wrote:
...Also, I actually didn't vote for Gushing despite an honest interest in it, lol....

Glad to be of service for having voted for it, along with Chained Soldiers, Healing Magic, Instant Death and a few others. Really stoked to see Mr. Farris and James getting to to do those first two as they are some of the most creative, funny and generally good reviewers on the site, along with Mr. Dupree as Uchay said so well. Their reviews can be works of Art! I know James has stated several times he isn't being forced to review shows, so I trust he is going to have fun at least and I hope that goes for Mr. Farris as well.

I will also admit to surprise that those were voted in and that they are being reviewed as a result and the high community score for Gushing. But it's ANN/TWIA's own darn fault...
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Why does this come up every single preview guide from the same people?
Reviewers are never forced to do anything. They volunteer for the shows they are willing to cover. Just because they might disagree with your opinions on the shows they're reviewing does not mean they are doing it against their will.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:27 pm Reply with quote
To the surprise of no one, Kingdom S5 didn't get in. A moment of silence for our Kingdom brethren.... Moving on, the only 2 shows I voted for but didn't get in is Ragna Crimson & Ishura. Both shows suffer from having mediocre adaptations but the former has noticeably improved over the weeks it's aired. On the other hand, Ishura is really pushing the limits of what I deemed even remotely acceptable for CGI used in heavy action shows like this. Its such a shame too as the premise is really whats saving the show for me. It's basically a bunch of Dark Souls bosses going on a fight to the death to see who's the strongest among them all. All the important characters even have their own Dark souls boss title. A real shame that they couldn't give this a more stellar adaptation.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I can genuinely think of only one time ever that a reviewer was ever “forced” to watch a show, and even then I use that term extremely loosely, since that was when we all got duped and hadn’t realized it was gonna be a stinker. Poor Gabriella (whose last name escapes me) eagerly volunteered for the first two(? Maybe just one?) seasons of Sailor Moon Crystal back when we all thought that series was going to be treated with the respect it deserved, and to her credit, she stuck it all the way out to the painful two-frame twirl of Sailor Moon’s extended Crescent Wand in the finale somewhere.

But she was very clearly not enjoying herself and had not signed up to be a hate-watcher, and that series was gracefully handed off to Rebecca Silverman, who, it must be said, was able to tease out the remaining silver linings in the Black Lady arc up until Crystal finally got a new art director and the horribly sinking ship started trying to right itself for the Holy Grail arc.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Gnarth wrote:

I'm fairly certain that's not what the user meant. I think they're just understanbly not excited at the possible prospect of hate-watching reviews. Those are always frankly a waste of time and only benefit those who already dislike the show and are therefore uninterested, while those who care are ignored at best and mocked at worst.

Though, this is obviously all hypothetical. I hope the reviewer who got chosen did not hate the premiere and will provide a constructive perspective.

They're not a waste of time though, since they're funny and enjoyable, that's why people vote for them in the first place. It's not like their honest fans are forced to read the reviews. If people are allowed to like and enjoy "trash" shows, people are allowed to like and enjoy hate-watching takedowns of said shows. It would be hypocritical to argue otherwise. It's not like ANN reviews are some unique and priceless jewels of reviewing art that, once wasted on hate-review, are treasures forever lost for humanity. Like, I usually enjoy them, but there are hundreds of other reviews of your series if you don't like ANN ones, or if they didn't make the seasonal cut.

Of course, if reviewer also enjoys the show, that's fine, but if they enjoy lambasting it, that's fine with me as well. I only dislike situation like with Kingdom of Ruins, where reviewer didn't even have much to write about the show due to it's fall to the bottom.

whiskeyii wrote:
I can genuinely think of only one time ever that a reviewer was ever “forced” to watch a show, and even then I use that term extremely loosely, since that was when we all got duped and hadn’t realized it was gonna be a stinker. Poor Gabriella (whose last name escapes me) eagerly volunteered for the first two(? Maybe just one?) seasons of Sailor Moon Crystal back when we all thought that series was going to be treated with the respect it deserved, and to her credit, she stuck it all the way out to the painful two-frame twirl of Sailor Moon’s extended Crescent Wand in the finale somewhere.

But she was very clearly not enjoying herself and had not signed up to be a hate-watcher, and that series was gracefully handed off to Rebecca Silverman, who, it must be said, was able to tease out the remaining silver linings in the Black Lady arc up until Crystal finally got a new art director and the horribly sinking ship started trying to right itself for the Holy Grail arc.

Jacki Jing was also initially interested in Kingdom of Ruins, judging by first episodes review, and when it crapped it pants just like source material was clearly just suffering through reviewing it.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:59 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

Yeah, there are occasionally times where a writer will volunteer for a show and end up not liking it, but that's just a consequence of not being able to predict the future. More rarely, somebody might get assigned a show just because we need somebody to cover it, and in those cases it comes down to finding somebody who's open to whatever the show is - but usually that's for distinctly middle-of-the-road shows that nobody was jumping to cover. If somebody actively didn't want to cover something, they're not going to be forced to.

For the record, Chris has reviewed the first volume of Gushing Over Magical Girls as part of a past Manga Preview Guide, so he knows what he's getting into with the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5