• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Should ANN Report about Crass "Mangasploitation" ?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
But ANN isn't here for just us. There are many various types of people from all walks of life and career who will fine this site even on the most whimsical of interest in anime, or anime like style. It's how I found it back then.

Maybe it should be called Anime Style News Network then.

Hey, that sounds really good, actually... it could be a new lifestyle channel Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:50 pm Reply with quote
kolibri wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
But ANN isn't here for just us. There are many various types of people from all walks of life and career who will fine this site even on the most whimsical of interest in anime, or anime like style. It's how I found it back then.

Maybe it should be called Anime Style News Network then.

Hey, that sounds really good, actually... it could be a new lifestyle channel Wink
For the same reason they don't call it Video Games News Network after they have news about thoses.
kolibri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
For the same reason they don't call it Video Games News Network after they have news about thoses.

I don't want to get all pedantic, but they don't have news about video games - I can't remember any and I don't see any for February. We've had couple of reviews but that's different. If they started reporting news about new Japanese games I wouldn't like that either.
Kyuriko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I voted no, because I could care less whether or not companies were "exploiting" anime and manga to market their products. Something like this, in my opinion, is just pointing fingers and saying, "Hey! Look at this! This isn't real anime and manga, but they're using the title to make money anyways!" and the only thing it's going to do is spark up debates on what is or isn't anime and manga and what anime and manga really means (I take it for the original Japanese meaning - comics and animation - and it's funny that people debate especially about anime when anime isn't even a Japanese word but it is an abbreviation of the borrowed English word, "animation"). It almost seems elitist, even.

I find the entire anime/manga definition debate silly to begin with; if they want to call their comics or cartoons manga and anime, let them. That's their decision, and it's not really hurting anybody -- not to mention, everybody has their own idea about what anime and manga means. Besides, nobody would make as much of an issue of it if they were calling their comics "manhua" or "manhwa", so I see no point, even if it is a marketing scam because manga is what happens to be popular at the moment.
cl4y

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I voted "no," because I'd hate to see it benefit from news coverage. However, a "Mangasploitation:" tag preceding the headline would be cool. That way, you have a standardized method of denouncing and bringing negative attention to it without having to create a separate "Soulless Leeches of the Manga Industry" section.
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I feel as though there should have been a third choice that straddles the fence a little. Yes. ANN should continue to report on anime/manga news, even if it's about "manga-sodes" or whatever Buzzword of the Day it is now.

Yet, I feel that something like this may lead to some minor sensationalism; especially, when certain fans get worked up on endless "discussions" on what is and what isn't anime/manga, outside of Japan.

"Manga-sploitation"?

I'm not going to lie and admit that I'm not curious at all about how global marketers using "anime" and "manga" as buzzwords; the business-side of me is always curious about those going-ons. I'm just wary of where that might lead. And that worthwhile commercially creative ventures will be largely ignored (or black-listed) because of some unfortunate word association.
crescendoll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
cl4y wrote:
I voted "no," because I'd hate to see it benefit from news coverage. However, a "Mangasploitation:" tag preceding the headline would be cool. That way, you have a standardized method of denouncing and bringing negative attention to it without having to create a separate "Soulless Leeches of the Manga Industry" section.

I agree with this completely.
I voted no, but I would be okay with coverage if it's clearly pointed out that it's mangasploitation. I'd rather that be the case than have someone assume something is legitimately manga or manga-related because they found out about it on ANN.
Drowning_Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Would we have debate about the whole manga name thing if we just named the OEL manga something else, I mean why don't we use some Latin or old Greek words to make another word like we used to (actually, don't answer that one)? Anyway, I voted yes, because even if there's a lot commercial crap using manga label right now, sooner or later we'll have more good manga-style graphic novels than bad/commercial ones (well, I do hope so) and it would be interesting to report about those.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Drowning_Wolf wrote:
Would we have debate about the whole manga name thing if we just named the OEL manga something else, I mean why don't we use some Latin or old Greek words to make another word like we used to (actually, don't answer that one)?

Comics? Razz
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Meh, voted "no". No offense to people who like it. I could care less about it though. I don't think it really belongs here either.

Wolverine Princess wrote:
There's also a section called "Popular Catgirls in Anime," and some of the characters listed are Misha from Pita Ten, Rabi en Rose from Di Gi Charat, and Ropponmatsu from Excel Saga. Not only does the author not know the first thing about cosplay, the poor guy must also be blind. He apparently can't tell the difference between a rabbit, a robot, and a cat.

I've never actually read one of those "How-to-draw/cosplay/whatever" books because I don't have any interest in them. Thank you for informing me of their crappiness, I will avoid them in the future.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:41 pm Reply with quote
cl4y wrote:
However, a "Mangasploitation:" tag preceding the headline would be cool. That way, you have a standardized method of denouncing and bringing negative attention to it

crescendoll wrote:
I agree with this completely.

I voted no, but I would be okay with coverage if it's clearly pointed out that it's mangasploitation. I'd rather that be the case than have someone assume something is legitimately manga or manga-related because they found out about it on ANN.[/quote]

ANN has a policy of not editorializing in the news. Obviously there are subjective decisions made when it comes to what to cover and how to cover it, but the words themselves have to be opinion free.

So we wouldn't be able to do this.

-t
bakaShin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:48 pm Reply with quote
to be honest i have no idea what the content of what poll is suggesting in the term "mangaspoitation". is it manga exploitation? is the spelling just incorrect?

If so, i agree that if the "product has absolutely nothing to do with anime or manga" it shouldnt be reported.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I voted no but I would like to be informed of things like Tokyo Pop's releasing Princess Ai stuff and Stu Levy actually being DJ Milky. I want to know if someone in a company is pushing a project that he/she has a direct hand in and will benefit from it.

That's the sort of stuff I want to know about!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:23 am Reply with quote
Oh.. don't get me started on that DJ Milky bullcrap..

Drowning_Wolf wrote:
Would we have debate about the whole manga name thing if we just named the OEL manga something else, I mean why don't we use some Latin or old Greek words to make another word like we used to (actually, don't answer that one)? Anyway, I voted yes, because even if there's a lot commercial crap using manga label right now, sooner or later we'll have more good manga-style graphic novels than bad/commercial ones (well, I do hope so) and it would be interesting to report about those.

Named OEL manga something else?

Comic books. There. Discussion over.

Actually, the way most of it is published, I'd be more inclinded to call them 'Graphic Novels'. They are most all published as a full volume. That alone makes them unlike seriliazed collected manga. Call them manga influenced graphic novels if you must. Yet I still refuse to call them manga.

Manga = comics published in Japan.

Anime = animation produced in Japan.

Of course, there are a number of co-productions where both a US and Japanese company make a show. I'd say since a Japanese company is involved in production, you can call it anime.

Of course, I said 'Yes' to the vote if only for us to know that something with the word 'manga' in it is actually NOT Japanese. I'd rather be informed about it than have it go under the radar and onto the shelves.

I also hang out at Comic Book Resources. A lot. Manga is nothing more than another form of comics, which are just another form of book, which is just another form of storry telling. (Though I guess some comics are online now too, which aren't exactly books.) In addition to US comics, CBR also reports on manga, other international comics, and comic based movies and video games.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:31 am Reply with quote
So are we talking anime stereotypes like that one cell phone commercial? Or the way manga is satirized in Prickly city? I thought the latter was pretty dead on (shame on you for having no sense of humor), the former was just retarded. Either way, it doesnt hurt the industry. Hell, it has to say something about the current state of the medium in the states if companies like that are aware enough of its existence to lampoon it like that. It also isnt worth pointing out all the time. There's gotta be something more newsworthy than that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4