• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TotalVid Offers Death Note by Subscription or Download

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
Non-Windows users who complain should direct it to TotalVid. I'm sure Viz would like to sign up with as many online paysites as "feasible" (as in, makes sense business-wise), but they can sign up with only whomever they can (as in, only those who agree to do business with them). Other than that, Viz has no control how those paysites operate.

As for the DRM, it wouldn't surprise me if the Japanese licensors require it in Viz's online distribution license, in order to protect their own Japanese market. DRM and related protection schemes are used in both Windows and Macs (including iTunes).
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:18 am Reply with quote
Sakurachan1 wrote:
Viz could even pick up the current episodes of Bleach and or Naruto. Both shows have a built in and dedicated fanbase, and even Viz knows the fans of both shows are all caught up past their domestic releases. No one would begrudge them if they started with Bleach 140 or Naruto 2?? and offered weekly downloads.

Why do that when they're having success releasing the shows as is anyways, and it's only a matter of a year or so before they start airing those episodes on TV? There's more then enough work to be done on those serie as it is, and plenty of DVD's to buy in the meantime [I mean, we're getting a DVD of one of the Jump Festival films. Buy that! It's only 12 bucks and hybrid!]

They've already completed large chunks of both series, and [many of whom aren't buying - if 1/2 the people who downloaded Naruto bough the uncut boxsets, they'd be doing a LOT better then the dub only discs, which seem to be everywhere, and selling. Though the uncut version still does more then well enough for Viz to speed up it's release- just not Appleseed or Cowboy Bebop numbers, it seems.......

And FYI people- CPM, Animeigo, Funimation and ADV all have licensing agreements with assorted legal download websites, such as Ituns, ADV's own website, XBox 360, Akimbo, even AOL video http://video.aol.com/video-category/bubblegum-crisis/2943

In the end though, like airing on TV, it's just another buisness option, and DVD's are the main market for these titles. If something gets licensed by a DVD company, you can bet we'll get DVD's of it.

I imagine as VIZ gets it's VODemand buisness end established, we'll see more then enough options for MAC users. And you'll be getting the dvd's in a little bit anyways. There's nothing more lame then people complaining about a company providing more ways for them to get something legally, and talk about how they're probably going to download it anyways.

mike.motaku

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Right now it's DRM. Next time there will be some other stupid crap people can point to as justification for not ever wanting to pay to watch anime.

It's $2 an episode and you people act like this is the worst thing ever. OH GOD WE ACTUALLY HAVE TO PAY TO WATCH ANIME ARGH LIFE IS SO UNFAIR

I agree. It seems that today's anime fan's first and only response to any news whatsoever about anime in any form is to bitch about it. Cry me a river. War, famine, floods, genocide, political corruption... eh... not so much. But someone actually trying to make money off anime which should be as free as air and is every human's god-given right? Boycott, bitch loudly and then steal it. Rolling Eyes Whatever, dudes and dudettes. Just, whatever. What shining examples we are.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
mike.motaku wrote:
Zac wrote:
Right now it's DRM. Next time there will be some other stupid crap people can point to as justification for not ever wanting to pay to watch anime.

It's $2 an episode and you people act like this is the worst thing ever. OH GOD WE ACTUALLY HAVE TO PAY TO WATCH ANIME ARGH LIFE IS SO UNFAIR

I agree. It seems that today's anime fan's first and only response to any news whatsoever about anime in any form is to bitch about it. Cry me a river. War, famine, floods, genocide, political corruption... eh... not so much. But someone actually trying to make money off anime which should be as free as air and is every human's god-given right? Boycott, bitch loudly and then steal it. Rolling Eyes Whatever, dudes and dudettes. Just, whatever. What shining examples we are.

Couldn't agree more about the bitching. I am a Mac user, but even with things my university does, I've accepted that there are things I can't access as places try to cater to the majority when they only have one option. Everything usually works out in the end.

Now, something to get more worked up about is VIz being a tard and cutting out or moving the real op/ed songs on the Prince of Tennis and MAR DVDs. Fail. You don't see other companies pulling stupid $#%@ like that. *sigh*
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:27 pm Reply with quote
When anime companies were just releasing their series on dvd, the majority of fans bitch about wanting to pay for legal download if it means faster release than the DVD release which takes a lot of time to produce the dub. Many praise this concept as a legal alternative to fansub and say they don't mind paying a small fee.

Here comes Viz, who offer anime for download legally....so what do the same fans do? They bitch about wanting the series to be release on DVD instead and hate having to pay for download with (ZOMG) DRM.

Keep in mind, these releases will never be faster than fansub because of many legal factors involve.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote
@Darkhunter:

I think the main reason people are complaining is because they keep announcing alternative sources to download what is essentially fansubs, as opposed to announcing a DVD release (which IMO is crazy that they haven't so far).

I'm not so much as upset at them for it, but bewildered. I mean, that leaked dub trailer shows that there has been at least some work done on the dub so far, and there isn't any reason (at this point) why they couldn't at least announce a general time-frame for the first disc (they'd have to be done with a handful of episodes at least soon).

While the complaining is pretty outrageous in terms of volume and frequency, I can see their point. Make the subs available on iTunes (or some other more universally accepted download option), then just work on the dub discs already, Viz. Teasing us and drawing out the whole process is getting old and insulting.
LightNightmare148

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
When anime companies were just releasing their series on dvd, the majority of fans bitch about wanting to pay for legal download if it means faster release than the DVD release which takes a lot of time to produce the dub. Many praise this concept as a legal alternative to fansub and say they don't mind paying a small fee.

Here comes Viz, who offer anime for download legally....so what do the same fans do? They bitch about wanting the series to be release on DVD instead and hate having to pay for download with (ZOMG) DRM.

Keep in mind, these releases will never be faster than fansub because of many legal factors involve.

The reason I don't like DRM is because it just doesn't work on my computer.. everytime I want to download something with DRM, it can't play. An error message comes on that my DRM files are corrupted, blah blah blah... I really don't want to deal with any of that.. If I download something with DRM, especially if I'm paying for it, it better damn work with no problems.. I didn't pay to have a headache. And that's all DRM does for me.

And for the DVDs... well I just hope they release them quickly. One DVD every two months seems too long for me.. if it's at leas 1 DVD a month, it'd be better.. even like that it would take about a year for the whole series to get released. Well depends on how many episodes per disc.. 3 episodes probably. With 4 episodes in one of the discs (first DVD probably). If it's released monthly, it would take exactly one year for the whole series to get released on DVD.. not bad I guess. I'd be happy with that.

Last edited by LightNightmare148 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
@Darkhunter:

I think the main reason people are complaining is because they keep announcing alternative sources to download what is essentially fansubs, as opposed to announcing a DVD release (which IMO is crazy that they haven't so far).

I'm not so much as upset at them for it, but bewildered. I mean, that leaked dub trailer shows that there has been at least some work done on the dub so far, and there isn't any reason (at this point) why they couldn't at least announce a general time-frame for the first disc (they'd have to be done with a handful of episodes at least soon).

While the complaining is pretty outrageous in terms of volume and frequency, I can see their point. Make the subs available on iTunes (or some other more universally accepted download option), then just work on the dub discs already, Viz. Teasing us and drawing out the whole process is getting old and insulting.

Do you really think they're not working on a DVD? Just the fact that they haven't told you yet is what's angering you?

Common sense dictates that of course they're working on a DVD. Viz has a panel this weekend at AX; likely they'll say something about it there.
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh I know they're working on one (I think my post indicates that quite clearly), but I said I just don't get why they keep bothering with new download options and yet feel the need to keep so quiet about the domestic disc info (including dub cast, etc), and host sites that "will fill you in on news as it comes", like they don't already have a ton of work done on it already. Rolling Eyes

If they release that info at AX, awesome.

It's just, at this point, I think they're drawing out the process too much. I mean, this property is too hot and the series has been airing for a while now, so I don't know why they haven't released more info on their domestication of it already.

It's a clear sign that they want to make the most amount of money off of impatient fans who will double dip (paid subs, and then DVDs), and that irritates me more than anything (though I know "Viz gotz to get paid", so I'm not delusional about it, just find it a bit insulting as a consumer).
DKL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
Oh I know they're working on one (I think my post indicates that quite clearly), but I said I just don't get why they keep bothering with new download options and yet feel the need to keep so quiet about the domestic disc info (including dub cast, etc), and host sites that "will fill you in on news as it comes", like they don't already have a ton of work done on it already. Rolling Eyes

If they release that info at AX, awesome.

It's just, at this point, I think they're drawing out the process too much. I mean, this property is too hot and the series has been airing for a while now, so I don't know why they haven't released more info on their domestication of it already.

It's a clear sign that they want to make the most amount of money off of impatient fans who want to double dip (paid subs, and then DVDs), and that irritates me more than anything (though I know "Viz gotz to get paid", so I'm not delusional about it, just find it irritating).

Yeah, I'm kinda concerened with how slow everything is moving...

But, when you think about it... the show JUST finished and maybe the Japanese side hasn't really sent any production materials over?

(which... uhh... means that they can't really do effective promotion? I don't know)

I mean... how long is the usual wait between the final airing of a show and the first US DVD release?

But yeah... I wish they were hyping this thing better (kinda like what Bandai did with Haruhi)...

But again, maybe it's because the show JUST finished that things are moving this slow...
Invader_Spooch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:40 pm Reply with quote
@DKL: I would be able to accept that, if that were a problem anymore, but many shows have been picked up way earlier than this, and been released in a reasonable amount of time.

I seriously doubt that a property like Death Note, as huge as it is, would have any trouble getting released very quickly (the sooner the better, with the manga almost being done here).
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Invader_Spooch wrote:
@Darkhunter:

It's not like they've said they WON'T make dvd's. When a dvd company licenses a title, chances are it'll come out on DVD. Companies announce when a title launches on dvd sometimes when it's first announced [ADV's Red Garden for September], but not all the time [ADV's Project Blue Earth SOS for... sometime in the near future, I'm guessing].

These aren't essentially fansubs. These are official, licensed versions of the episodes produced with the permission of the original creators and the companies behind the anime. That's a crucial difference.

ps-- in the vast majority of cases, an anime isn't usually released [or licensed] domestically until it's done airing [though prelicensing announcements and announcing while airing is becoming more common], and DVD releases rarely arrive until after the Japanese release is complete [or with longer series, until the first "season" is complete], sometimes with a little bit of overlap [ie- first R1 volume arrives when lst few R2 trickle out]. With all the time involved in production on both ends, and in negociations, and in marketing, these things take time. A lot of anime fans are pretty ignorant when it comes to this stuff.

Though that said, when it comes to super quick releases, anything's possible, just not very likely. Usually there has to be a good reason behind it, like say, ADV or Geneon or Media Blasters or whoever essentially funding it's production, in part of in whole [I imagine we'll see a simultaneous release of MB's production of the new Kite OVA, or fairly close]. See releases like Ninja Scroll TV, Grrl Power, Big O 2, among a very small handful of others. Or anything Gonzo makes. The other route is doing a quick, subonly release, but that's usually done for niche titles- with ShonenJump titles like Death Note, there's a market for them outside the DVD fandom ,as well as outside the bootlegging fansub hordes- an audience that if it gets on TV will propel it's dvd sales to the top, whether it gets release today or 5 months from now. Can't blame VIZ for opting for the path that leads to the title being the most successful [which'ld help ensure it's continued release, and the release of future titles]
matrixdude124

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... *strokes beard*
I've been skimming this thread a bit. Alot of anti-fansubbing opinions...

To them, I have this to say... 1. The people downloading the fansubs are, as the name implies, fans of Death Note. We love Death Note, we wanna see more Death Note. You'd get impatient too if you were left hanging an episode or two from the climactic ending.
Speaking of which... Death Note's ending was pretty good.
Moving on, though... 2. Anime DVDs are freaking expensive. Yea. The good ones which have the good extras are always worth a ridiculous sum of cash. The only way the more "poor" anime fans can get them are via thinpaks. What I'm trying to say is... Not all anime fans are rich. Neutral
Um... All I'm trying to say is... Don't be dissin the Death Note subbies. Sad
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
But I do think that issuing a C&D with a deadline that takes effect 4 days before the last episode airs and then expecting people to uphold it is a little naive on their part. That's expecting people to wait 1.5 years after the first DVD release for which we don't have a date yet to see the end of a series that they've followed from the start. Not gonna happen imo.

iTunes is more popular. I would have put it on there instead.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
matrixdude124 wrote:
Hmmm... *strokes beard*
I've been skimming this thread a bit. Alot of anti-fansubbing opinions...

To them, I have this to say... 1. The people downloading the fansubs are, as the name implies, fans of Death Note. We love Death Note, we wanna see more Death Note. You'd get impatient too if you were left hanging an episode or two from the climactic ending.
Speaking of which... Death Note's ending was pretty good.
Moving on, though... 2. Anime DVDs are freaking expensive. Yea. The good ones which have the good extras are always worth a ridiculous sum of cash. The only way the more "poor" anime fans can get them are via thinpaks. What I'm trying to say is... Not all anime fans are rich. Neutral
Um... All I'm trying to say is... Don't be dissin the Death Note subbies. Sad

The whole "I'm poor therefore it's cool for me to steal anime that's been licensed in the US" defense doesn't hold up very well especially when you apply it to something you haven't been conditioned by the community to think has zero monetary value.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4