• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
People with similar tastes in anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
I never claimed to be anything short of a caveman when it comes to computers hehe.

It's not a big deal. I used to do that, too. But I decided a long time ago (because of an incident) that I would preview all my posts before posting them, even checking all the links to make sure they work. You learn through mistakes, as they say. In this case, you learn how computers (and forums) work by clicking on random buttons and hoping something doesn't explode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
Animastryfe wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
Well here's my personal Anime List from ANN. I've noticed there's a few who have posted who I have some similar tastes with. As others have said if anyone wants to know why i rated a certain title with the rating I did just go ahead and ask.
Why did you rate MD Geist "very good"?

I just fixed that. I meant to have it as simply "Good." The reason being for that is because I am retarded lol. Seriously I dunno why i think it's good. I think I just am a sucker for older shows. In this case it was also one of the first shows I ever watched when I really got into anime so I suppose I give it a bit more credit then it deserves because it did help in a small way get me more interested in anime. Plus I'm a huge science fiction fan. It's honestly not that great but it did serve it's purpose for me. Plus if you want to have a cheesy anime night this title would have to be included (along with Vareable Geo, and Gundress to name a few of course) lol.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
I never claimed to be anything short of a caveman when it comes to computers hehe.

It's not a big deal. I used to do that, too. But I decided a long time ago (because of an incident) that I would preview all my posts before posting them, even checking all the links to make sure they work. You learn through mistakes, as they say. In this case, you learn how computers (and forums) work by clicking on random buttons and hoping something doesn't explode.

Generally when I do that approach my computer makes horrible noises towards me and I swear I can see it given me the finger in 1's and 0's lol.
Avs0001

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:43 am Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Why would you rate a comedy series based on it's literary value? That just plain doesn't make sense. Excel Saga is a fairly intelligent show, despite how random and mindless it is on the surface. It should get points for that at least.

It really depends on the person who watches it though. Some might watch it for lols. Some might watch it for scientific purposes. Some might be 40s, in the middle of their mid-life crisis, and suddenly Excel Saga gives them a revelation (when they see the Excep Popup AMV). In sort, unless we debate this matter beyond the expectations/purpose that someone has when watching a series, I'd rather oogling a TRAP.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:55 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken's anime list

I'm amazed at jsevakis' list. I would have expected there to be a ton of anime you'd seen but thats amazing. Espeically that you've actually seen the entire thing for all of those, not just part.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
Ahhh. I'm late to the party, but here's my seen all list. I'm still lacking comments on a lot of things but I have been slowly working on it. It's a lot of fun.

I posted some of my rating rationale in the thread undeadben linked to. As far as what I put into the comments, it's pretty much just whatever pops into my head about the show. I'm not trying to be any kind of reviewer so I just put whatever thoughts occur to me about what stood out most (good or bad) from the work in question.

I'd love to get comments filled out on everything, but I have an easier time thinking of what to say with some things than with others. Lately, however, I have been making an effort not to add anything new to the "seen all" category without making comments at that time. I saw some of the things on my list so long ago that I need to re-watch them before I can make comments.

As far as rating shows go I find it interesting that some of you have converted the ANN rating scale to numeric values. I never really think of it that way. Usually when I go to rate something I read the little descriptions with the various options and try to decide which best describes what I just saw. Obviously, it's a very subjective process. I also think my ratings tend to be skewed toward the higher end because I usually do some kind of research before I watch something and tend to avoid titles that don't look appealing to me so I think I avoid many things I would rate poorly altogether.

As I said in the other thread, I do love all the enthusiasm and effort many people have put into their lists. When I'm trying to decide what I want to watch next there are several members' lists (a few who have already posted in this thread) that I check on a regular basis. And if you do take the time to look at my list, thanks Exclamation and I hope you find something useful or interesting in it.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Aylinn's Anime

I usually don't rate show unless I saw all for it. There are only two anime that I rated even if I didn't see all of the episodes and this is Bleach which I gave good, I don't think I will end it because recently it become more and more boring I think it will be better to stop watching and remember this as a good anime then as a let-down. The second anime is Blood+ which I gave so-so maybe one day I finish it maybe not but it wasn't that bad to go to Will not finish.

Slice of Life, josei and fantasy is my favourite genre. However I must admit finding a good pure fantasy isn't easy. I'm rather not a big fan of shoujo but I watch it from time to time who knows maybe one day I find a new pearl among them. Some anime such as Sailor Moon S but also Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon Sailor Stars, Sailor Moon SuperS get higher rating out of sentiment I don't think I would like them now as much as I liked them back then.

Recently I'm also more careful what I watch so in the worst case I find the anime decent.

For some time I watched every anime to the end even if I didn't like it but now I think it was a waste of time and I don't do it anymore. Some bad anime such as Gundam Wing, Arjuna I watched to the end just because they happened to be on TV.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:38 am Reply with quote
Here's my Seen All List, no comments atm but it is something I will get around to one day. I guess this shows my broad range of taste and higher tolerance for mediocrity than a lot of people here. Though even though I might rate the odd show more highly than I should (Familiar of Zero comes to mind) I do tend to keep my masterpiece ratings in check. I do kinda wish I could be more objective when rating something but at the moment the enjoyment/entertainment factor seems to play a big factor when I rate something.

Also for my Seen Some list I tend to start giving series a tentative rating after I've seen roughly 1 dvd worth of episodes, so 3-5. I personally like to see how a series I initially rate progresses as I make my way through it. Hajime no Ippo for instance started out as a 6 after my first four episodes, worked its way up to 7 by around episode 8 and after the nice fight in the last few episodes I saw (14-15) has been bumped up to an 8.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime/?user=Xanas

I need to add comments, probably will soon. I'm leaving the other categories in there with a little explanation

1) Want to see - I think it's valid to put this here since people might be able to tell me whether I should want to see it based on my ratings for other choices. Also it might give ideas about the kind of things that interest me based on minimal information. I have watched "some" of the want to see category, but I am using some a little differently.

2) Watched "some" - I really mean "watched most" or "watched everything available" (US release-wise, I only recently got into fansubs and am not going to go to that on shows I started in english).

3) Will not finish - you'll only see my lowest ratings on this list, series I disliked/hated enough not to even continue. That's pretty rare for me, as I tend to try to only watch what I think there is a chance I'll like.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, here's my List for your reading (dis)pleasure, once again. Some of the comments are woefully incomplete or out of date, but I'm trying to go back and fill them in bit by bit. I always welcome PMs and such about the lists, since it makes me feel like I haven't completely wasted the time I put into them.

Thinking back to the analysis I did in undeadben's old topic, I have a pretty even bell-curve distribution of ratings in the 5-10 range, with very few titles receiving the lower ratings.

I don't consider my tastes to be all that eccentric...I liked a lot of the big-name popular series (like Evangelion, Bebop, FMA, and Haruhi), and I'm willing to give almost anything a chance. I try to stay away from things that have especially poor review ratings and negative buzz if they don't have that intangible "everybody else says it sucks, but I might like it!"factor. My lists are a little short on sports and shounen action anime (aside from major ones like FMA, Bleach, and Naruto), and exhibit a lack of serious psychological or horror entries like Boogiepop, Requiem from the Darkness, Monster, and GitS: SAC.

Some of the major concentrations I've observed in my lists are:

"Based on romance game" anime (Air, Kanon, Rumbling Hearts, To Heart, Shuffle, many others...)
Crazy/parody comedy (like Excel Saga, Puni Puni Poemy, Abenobashi, and Paniponi Dash)
Laidback/slice-of-life (Piano, Someday's Dreamers, Kamichu, Asatte no Houkou, the ARIA series, and more)
Shounen romance / harem / "guilty pleasure" (Love Hina, Ai yori aoshi, Girls Bravo, Ikkitousen, Yumeria, Maburaho, Magikano, Koikoi 7, etc.)
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Looks like this thread has turned into one of people posting links to their My Anime lists. Dunno if that was the original intention or not but doesn't matter I guess. I didn't realize before that you had to make your My Anime list "public" in order for others to see it. I went ahead and made mine public but I doubt anyone cares.

Just curious though, how many of our My Anime lists actually accurately reflect all or most of what we've seen? For example my own list contains around 30 animes right now, but in reality I've seen 10 to 50 times that amount (most of them old 90's animes back when I was an undergraduate and watched practically everything that came out in anime clubs). I don't know many animes I've seen but it's probably better not for me to think about it, and I'm sure that people who watch a lot of modern anime on fansubs have seen 10x more animes than me since a lot more anime are made these days.

Also, the anime which I did choose to rate does not accurately reflect how I rate anime in general. For example I rated 4 shows Masterpiece, but that's all the anime I rate Masterpiece, too. My list makes it look like I easily give out this rating but in reality only the top 0.1% of animes get this rating for me. I also gave out the same number of Excellents but likewise those are the only anime that I give that rating to. I don't bother to rate the 95% of animes that didn't leave me with a strong impression of good or bad, so my rating distributions are skewed towards the top and bottom..

I expect many other users to vote this way too. That's why I think animes with tons of Masterpiece or Worst Ever votes, and not as many "reasonable" votes, still can reflect fair judging by individual voters. Certainly in some cases such votes are the result of immature users, but in other cases it's just that people who watch a lot of anime don't bother to rate shows that they don't feel strongly about.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
I don't know many animes I've seen but it's probably better not for me to think about it...

For example I rated 4 shows Masterpiece, but that's all the anime I rate Masterpiece, too. My list makes it look like I easily give out this rating but in reality only the top 0.1% of animes get this rating for me.

Then apparently you've seen around 4000 anime Exclamation!
If I had seen that much I wouldn't want to think about it either. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Hah, you're right. Make that 1% then, that way I only need to have seen about 500 animes which I probably did (and I still don't want to think about it). Smile

edit: Then again I'm not sure what I meant by 0.1% of animes. That could include animes I've seen very little of, or not seen at all. Although I can't truly rate animes I haven't seen, I can probably still tell when they are obviously not a masterpiece. Any potential masterpiece animes I probably noticed and tried to see. Not counting new animes still unreleased in the USA (Gurren-Lagann looks like it has a chance to be a masterpiece to me), and not counting hentai animes. There's probably some masterpiece hentai animes too but I doubt I can effectively find them. If anyone knows of any feel free to recommend, lol.
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
Just curious though, how many of our My Anime lists actually accurately reflect all or most of what we've seen?

Mine is completely up-to-date in listing every anime I've seen all or some of, same for manga. The want to see/want to read isn't particularly accurate however, as I don't always remember to add stuff, and I was bored one day at a temp job a couple of years ago and added tons of stuff that I'm probably not really interested in.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Porcupine wrote:
Just curious though, how many of our My Anime lists actually accurately reflect all or most of what we've seen?

Mine is completely up-to-date in listing every anime I've seen all or some of, same for manga. The want to see/want to read isn't particularly accurate however, as I don't always remember to add stuff, and I was bored one day at a temp job a couple of years ago and added tons of stuff that I'm probably not really interested in.

Mine is also as complete and up to date as I could possibly make it. I spent a good hour or two before posting it updating it actually. I have a slight touch of OCD and it demands I make it as accurate as possible lol. Beyond being there to share with others I enjoy having it as a reminder to me of shows I've seen. I'm 25 pushing 26 and my memory is already failing me at times. Oh joy. So it helps keep things fresh for me as well.
ManOfRust

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:

Good question. My list is current as of last week. I watched some things over the weekend I haven't updated yet, but other than that I'm pretty caught up. There are also a few things that I want to watch again before I give them a rating, and of course many things on my list are still missing comments.

Porcupine wrote:
Looks like this thread has turned into one of people posting links to their My Anime lists. Dunno if that was the original intention or not

You are right! The way I interpret Xenofan 29A's idea is for us not only to talk about what we put in our own lists, but also to take the time to look at other lists and see what we think. I already talked about my own list, but now I had some time to look at some of the others in this thread and wanted to make a few comments although there are too many lists to go over them all.

Xenofan 29A: Like Satoshi Kon? As Tony mentioned and you confirmed you seem to enjoy some of the more complex or intellectual titles. Please give Mushishi a look if you get a chance. With the titles we have in common we agree on some and not on others so I'd have to say that overall there are probably people here with tastes closer to my own than you. I hope you find time to add more comments because I always like to see some additional thoughts especially when someone's rating on a title is very different from my own.

Tony K: Your list is one that I have bookmarked and usually check when I am thinking about what I want to try next. I think in general you like shounen titles more than me, but you also have an appreciation for some of the deeper stuff too. I love the amount of thought you put into your comments and the very detailed ratings you give.

MorwenLaicoriel: Your list is short, but you have comments on almost every title! You may not have a ton on your list yet, but you've seen some good stuff.

Randall: I knew there would be a lot of titles, but as you mentioned you must be missing a bunch, especially in your "seen some" list. I wish you had time to add comments too. With your experience as a fan you have a perspective that many of us lack.

undeadben: Of all the lists I have looked at your tastes probably match up with mine closer than anyone else's. Of course we still have differences, but we agree on a lot of titles and in many cases for the same reasons. Yours is another list I have bookmarked and keep going back to. Your comments (both in your list and in the forums) were a big part of why I decided to watch Gunslinger Girl, which is now one of my favorite series.

bonbonsrus: You have seen so much more than me that it's hard to compare our lists. We have quite a few differences but there's also a lot of common ground. Somehow I think I lack your appreciation for yaoi titles or some of the uber cute stuff that's out there and I think I probably have a somewhat bigger enjoyment of some of the "talky" and slightly depressing stuff. Since we know each other outside of the forums, though, we get to discuss titles frequently and I really respect and trust your opinions. I hope you keep working on adding comments so everyone else can see your thoughts beyond just the simple ratings.

Aromatic Grass: Ko, I was surprised your list wasn't longer. You always seem knowledgeable to me so I guess I expected to see more "seen all" titles. You have seen a lot of things I haven't but we have several things in common especially among titles we both rated highly like Figure 17 and Haibane Renmei. I wish you had comments along with your ratings.

Cloe: When I read your list I often feel like we are watching the same show from completely different perspectives (not surprising considering gender, age, and profession differences) so I'm never surprised to see you had a different take than me. That is one of the reasons I love to read your list! You always seem to have something interesting to say. Clearly you are willing to seek out lesser known and even experimental titles so if I am ever wanting to find something different from the mainstream your list is a great place to look. I keep meaning to find the time to track down more of the titles there to try to expand my horizons a bit.

Kelly: I can't believe I've never looked at your list before. It's very nicely done with comments on almost everything. It seems to me that I have a bit more tolerance for fanservice and shounen type stories but aside from that we agree on a fair amount of titles we have in common. I think your comment about .hack//SIGN sums up well why some people don't like the show and "quiet favorite" is a good way to describe how I think of series.

ikillchicken: I also can't believe this is the first time I've looked at your list. Like Kelly's you have comments on everything which is great. We don't have a ton of titles in common but on the ones we do we seem to have different opinions on many of them which makes the fact you have comments all the better for me since that gives a bit more insight into your opinion than just the ratings.

Zalis116: Another of the lists I keep bookmarked. Zalis' list is just a great reference when you are looking for something new. I have watched several series based in large part off his list that I may have passed up otherwise and that ended up being shows I very much enjoy like Angelic Layer and Scrapped Princess. While our tastes run similar in some genres, we differ in others but with the awesome comments on your list I always get a good look at a title from someone with opinions I trust even if I don't always agree.

Yikes, sometimes I get a little carried away and it looks like I did it here. Oh well. I hope no one minds my moment of fan-gushing over so many people's lists. In going through this it kind of made me realize something. I think I get as much (or maybe more) value out of reading a list made by someone with different taste than my own as I do reading a list with ratings similar to my own. If they have been able to put comments on their list, the different perspective they provide gives me something to think about that I probably wouldn't have come up with by myself and may help me to develop a new appreciation for the title. On the other hand, it's also nice to know who likes some of the same stuff I do so when I want to find something new I know where to start looking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5