• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fist of the North Star Manga Marks 25 Years with Wedding

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
todd: I doubt it's the violence, since Ninja Scroll, Gantz, and Elfen Lied seemed to do alright for their respective companies. I don't even think it's the age, since people are willing to sit through two wretched threequels to Die Hard and Indiana Jones and three embarassing prequels to Star Wars. And most of the big comic book movies out right now are based on material in the 40+ year range. Even the live-action Speed Racer at least made most of its money back; and that sucker is probably considered ancient to the newbie fans. And Vertical proved there's a market for the classics, too.

The problem is that Fist has the worst recognition. FUNimation actually bothered going all out with promoting Baki, because it had to dump all 60 episodes on the market to make a profit. Most companies, though, just put titles like Fist [and Slam Dunk] on the shelf, and don't really try to sell them as anything different from the competition. Maybe they think if the name's manly enough, it'll pay for itself; but there's more to it than that. You have to show those suckers in action on the cover, since poses only work for stuff people are already familiar with by default.

Case in point: Golgo 13 vs. St. Seiya. If you were a random shopper at Best Buy, where do you think you'd be more likely to get your non-ironic guilty pleasure fix from, eh? Now, I love those Master Edition and Shin Fist ADV covers as much as the next Hokuto No Ken fan, but taken the wrong way, they can be seen as recruitment ads for Village People cover bands, if you catch my drift. People want to see something going on in the foreground, which is partlywhy a parody series like Cromartie's managed to outsell and outlast the real thing. Even Ultimate Muscle must be doing something right, if it's managed to get over 20 volumes, considering you have to "get" the previous series a bit to totally appreciate it.
Oh Jam!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
3) The first story arc of the anime version is a filler-laden mess. The US release also changed all the music to cheap, bad techno.

Boo! The original dubs were what got me into anime in the first place when they were aired many moons ago on U.K. Channel 4. I'd seen other anime before but the incessant barrage of shit JRock/Pop put me off.
The soundtrack to the dubs was probably it's only saving grace as the voice acting was much to desired and in hindsight the translation was abominable.
Oh and just to clarify it's not Techno, it's Drum & Bass; there is a big difference between the two. Also I wouldn't class it as cheap either as the tracks were from Reinforced Records, the longest running and most successful Drum & Bass label in the U.K.
I'll admit that sometimes the pacing of the soundtrack wasn't timed right, although all of the ambient D'n'B in it is top tier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3