• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I'm deeply disturbed by "Monster"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I love large blocks of text and random spoiler tags. Laughing You go cross eyed while reading it?

No, but if you want something that others can read and comprehend, it's best to avoid them. If you don't want to type like that, then why post on a forum?
You either read it,or you don't.Oh,you bored or something? I complied with your side moderating.You egging me on,pal?

HellKorn wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I don't mean to insult you or anything,but you will enjoy it (or not) after you've had more life experience.

I've never understood these type of arguments (unless they're clearly made for something like Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou or Only Yesterday; even then, I love them as a teenger). Monster may be targetted for young men, but it's still a mystery/suspense thriller at its heart. Anyone who find excitement reading convoluted plots can enjoy those.
None of this is aimed at you.TC didn't understand why monster was on the top of the manga list,and also said "Johan" was a stupid name.It's his opinion,but it seems to me he isn't old enough to understand,hence the "life experience" line.Do you understand?

HellKorn wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
The art direction in Monster is excellent,what the hell were you guys talking about?

dormcast wasn't just referring to the character designs.
I'm well aware of what dormcat meant,and I'm sorry the creator's illustrations didn't meet dormcat's standards. Laughing
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:46 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
I'm sorry the creator's illustrations didn't meet dormcat's standards. Laughing

For a mangaka of his fame, isn't it rather odd to publish the first artbook 25 years after debut? Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Isn´t the artwork one of the reasons why Urasawa doesn´t want 20th Century Boys to be published in the US until after Monster is finished? As in, his new work makes his older series look bad? Razz

The art is Monster is mostly functional. It's not there to look pretty/epic/awesome, it's there to tell a story and that's all it does.
pedopeto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:08 am Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

None of this is aimed at you.TC didn't understand why monster was on the top of the manga list,and also said "Johan" was a stupid name.It's his opinion,but it seems to me he isn't old enough to understand,hence the "life experience" line.Do you understand?

Heh, well, my age is somewhere between 25 and 30 and I've had quite an eventful life; I guess I'm quite old compared to the average manga reader, at least old enough to see when some manga's/book's plot and dialogue loses to Eragon.
Of course that's just my opinion, and you have yours, but I think it's quite silly to tell people who don't agree with you that "you're just too young to understand".
Also naming that character as Johan compares to naming Gandalf "Jack", and Monster trying to be realistic or commonplace doesn't help at all.

If this manga tries to be realistic I'd at least expect:
-smoothly flowing, realistic dialogue
-cutting out the one-dimensional charicatyre characters
-cutting out the moral preaches

As if I wasn't concentrating on all the big weaknesses too much, to notice something like "redundant panels".
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
pedopeto wrote:

Also naming that character as Johan compares to naming Gandalf "Jack", and Monster trying to be realistic or commonplace doesn't help at all.

If you ask me, it would have sounded just plain stupid if the mangaka had given Johan some weird or pretentious name. Johan's ability to blend in supposed to be one of his scariest traits. The name "Johan" is very suitable for that.
pedopeto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:

If you ask me, it would have sounded just plain stupid if the mangaka had given Johan some weird or pretentious name. Johan's ability to blend in supposed to be one of his scariest traits. The name "Johan" is very suitable for that.

I wasn't talking about pretentious names.
How about:
Carl, Heinrich, Kurt, Luther, Roland or Walter?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Do you just not like saying the name "Johan?" What is so wrong with the name "Johan" that you come off as making it sound like absolute and utter blasphemy at its mere allusion, mention, and incarnation?

That's like "John Doe" in Se7en being called "William Doe" instead. Unless Urasawa had some kind of other influence in picking the name, I honestly don't see any logical reason or remotely supported opinion in why you've got such a beef with a common German name. As if any of those other choices make a difference.

It's not who he is underneath, but what he does that defines him.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Johan isn't an acceptable name, but Carl is? How does that work?
pedopeto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Do you just not like saying the name "Johan?"

I don't like the syllable "jo", at least with German pronounciation.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
People have their irrationalities and that's fine, but stop trying to force it on the rest of us, please.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Johan isn't an acceptable name, but Carl is? How does that work?

"I am the evil CARL, corrupter of fellow young minds and shooter of baby dolls! Fear me, peasants!" Laughing
pedopeto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
People have their irrationalities and that's fine, but stop trying to force it on the rest of us, please.

How am I trying to force my views?
I'm not the inquisition.

This is a forum, it's a place where people exchange their different views, and I presented mine.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
You presented your's in a ridiculous way. Stating Monster is not all that? That's fine, /if/ you support your opinion. You present a little irrational petpeeve as a major argument and we are supposed to accept that as a valid point?
pedopeto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:51 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
You presented your's in a ridiculous way. Stating Monster is not all that? That's fine, /if/ you support your opinion. You present a little irrational petpeeve as a major argument and we are supposed to accept that as a valid point?

Hmmm, I haven't seen anyone give good arguments why it's good.
What's a good argument?
Also, you shouldn't say "we", you are only you.
Lastly, was it really my major argument? Nope, it was a single line in parentheses in my opening post, which everyone else payed too much attention. That's how I see it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
Well pedo, seeing as how you've only read 4 volumes (not even a quarter of its entirety), is it really fair for us debate the merits if you don't even know the whole story? And no, I don't see your comments around the middle of page one having much relevance because, again, you've only read a small portion.

For instance, the whole "Nina is a generic cutesy anime girl" comment. In fact, she's far from it, but you wouldn't know that until the end. Or "Jo- [let's call him Jesus Christ from now on, that's a pretty cool, yet not too pretentious name] being a complete joke [in your opinion]." What opinion? You say he and the entire manga are a joke (multiple times), then proceed to make completely off topic comparisons that still explain nothing about your logic or distasteful opinion of the series. If you don't like it just because you don't like it but can't find the right way to critically disprove it, then just say it's not in your taste. That's a good default position to take when you just don't feel like giving a giant spiel.

I gave my own take and had some very good rebuttals to contrast what I felt were pros. But on the contrary, I've yet to see you make any kind of real argument yourself. So far, your comments feel more like demeaning banter and random cynical discrimination than any kind of noteworthy criticisms. You say it's over-the-top, generic, unrealistic, etc. again and again, but only in 2-3 short sentences until you start ranting and dressing up this title as some kind of "cheesy, laughable, unbelievable, complete joke."

Give us something a little more tangible, informative, or thought provoking. Tell us why you think the side characters are mere caricatures and not actual people. How are any of them that much over-the-top? Give some examples of this awkward/unrealistic dialogue you saw and explain what kind of changes you'd make to the script. How about a short character analysis on what you've observed in Tenma, Nina, and Jesus Christ? Tenma is hollow because?... Nina is generic because?... Jesus Christ is laughable, cheesy and a complete joke because?...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6