• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Knight Guilty.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Well, he's madly in love with Yuuki and wants to keep her out of danger at all costs. He might be a little possessive, but he's still very concerned about her happiness.

Certainly he thinks he's doing what's best, but as I said, he absolutely crosses the line of acceptable behaviour with me, doing things which include flat out meddling with Yuuki's memories.

He's pretty controlling with everyone, actually. Though I think Aido likes it, at least a bit (which is good, since he gets slapped around quite a bit Razz).

And really, the manga is only halfway? That uh...worries me, quite a bit. Obviously I'll wait and see, but after this current arc, I'm not sure where the series can go that won't just be drawing it out unnecessarily. I'd rather it end on a high point than just go on, and on, and on.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:

Everyone thought it was winding down right now but the author said that we are currently at the halfway point. Also the new bad guy is.... spoiler[someone will know well.. hinting towards it being either Zero or Kaname. Bet it leans towards being the former (since he's still in revenge mode) but ends up being the latte. His "plan" for a better world is going to go down as good as the Chairman's from Gundam SEED Destiny and even though lots of Kaname fan girls can't see it Zero even though he's overpowered as fudge right now isn't top bad guy status. I'm sorry but a lone ranger isn't exactly much compared to someone who's been pulling strings from day 1 and has legions of followers.]

It's all right as long as Kaname doesn't end up with Yuuki who I don't like I have nothing against. (Kaname is mine Laughing)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go crazy being surrounded by all these spoilers. STOP TALKING ABOUT THE MANGA! Crying or Very sad Wink

I'm just kidding, of course, but you can't imagine how tempting it is to read those things...now I know how Zero feels. "I don't want to, but I just can't help myself!"

Anyway, the next episode should be around by tonight or tomorrow. Can't come soon enough for me. I actually started watching a RAW, but felt a little cheated, so I stopped. I'd rather be surprised visually and aurally at the same time.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
I'm going to go crazy being surrounded by all these spoilers. STOP TALKING ABOUT THE MANGA! Crying or Very sad Wink

I'm just kidding, of course, but you can't imagine how tempting it is to read those things...now I know how Zero feels. "I don't want to, but I just can't help myself!"

Sorry Sad

You'll hopefully find out the answers soon enough. And definitely avoid looking, because it will be much better to wait and see.
*pritobrains

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:26 am Reply with quote
yeah...but spoiler[ it seems interesting now that zero has some kind of weird strength he got from kaname] hehe its really itching me to read the manga..hehe
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
The scene near the end of episode 2 where spoiler[Kaname "teaches Youki a lesson" I felt really raised some warning flags with me. That's just not right, she seemed equal parts terrified of him as well as willing to let him do what he wanted to her. Like he thinks of her as a misbehaving pet instead of a person. It also may be an indication that he's losing control.] I just don't like the guy, never did, there was always something shifty about him. Mad
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
The scene near the end of episode 2 where spoiler[Kaname "teaches Youki a lesson" I felt really raised some warning flags with me. That's just not right, she seemed equal parts terrified of him as well as willing to let him do what he wanted to her. Like he thinks of her as a misbehaving pet instead of a person. It also may be an indication that he's losing control.] I just don't like the guy, never did, there was always something shifty about him. Mad

Just saw the episode. I don't like him either, but I actually thought that was one of his better scenes. He didn't seem domineering to me there, in fact he felt incredibly vulnerable.

Yuuki spoiler[offered herself to him. I think she did it wholeheartedly, too, as I think any romance toward Zero is still under-the-radar enough that it's not on her mind in that scene. Kaname wants her really badly. It was the perfect opportunity, and he DIDN'T take it because he clearly really cares about her and he's not sure she's ready for what she's asking of him.]

Anyway, about the episode itself, I'm not sure all our extra pretty vampire characters need to show us their backstories here, but that's what we got in this episode. Familial strife, ah the life of nobility. They're pretty forgettable now, but if we must flesh them out, I hope it'll be worth the time. (Hanabusa looks WAY too much like Aidou! They should have fixed that in the planning stage...)

My other concern is that Yuuki is falling into the trap so many heroines before her have and it makes me mad. I've lauded her as a proactive and interesting heroine before, but as of the last two episodes, (and the last two of the first season...) well, she's done a lot of sitting around ruminating on her feelings and whether they're right or wrong. Yuuki, that's ANNOYING! Stop it and go back to the way you were. Stop fawning over the men in your life and wondering if it's okay, and start pursuing/helping them instead!

Apart from that, I didn't feel that much went on in this episode apart from that tense last couple of minutes. I knew spoiler[Kaname wouldn't do it, not yet,] but all the same, my suspicions are being confirmed that with Zero distracted and angry for this arc, Yuuki is going to gravitate more towards the vamp that has just spoiler[confessed his love to her.]
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Every time I hear Fukuyama's voice I wonder if this seiyuu knows the word vacation -he had managed to get eight series under his belt this year alone, with him playing a main role in five of them! I'm not complaining though. Aidou always got on my nerves, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for the position that he was put in this episode, I think he should always stay humbled like that Razz

Loved the interaction between Shiki and Rima -they are so cute that I couldn't help but take pictures of them! and I'm happy whenever Ichijou has a scene, he has always been my favorite night class character that isn't Kaname.

I don't ship Zero/Yuuki, but liked the conversation between him and Yagari and how spoiler[she isn't small in his heart, and of course, I liked that scene between Yuuki and Kaname, it was nice to see that Kaname had restrained himself in the last minute, I wonder how long is that going to last. I felt sorry for Yuuki though when she believed he wasn't being serious when he said those things.]

JesuOtaku wrote:
Anyway, about the episode itself, I'm not sure all our extra pretty vampire characters need to show us their backstories here, but that's what we got in this episode. Familial strife, ah the life of nobility. They're pretty forgettable now, but if we must flesh them out, I hope it'll be worth the time.

I actually enjoyed the little overview on the vampire society, and whether they'll end up fleshing them out or not, a little world building and information on the pivotal class in this series won't hurt.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
Every time I hear Fukuyama's voice I wonder if this seiyuu knows the word vacation -he had managed to get eight series under his belt this year alone, with him playing a main role in five of them!

I've been thinking the same thing, except with Mamaru Miyano. Every new anime I watch seems to have him in it, including Vampire Knight, of course (this season he is also in Skip Beat! and Kurozuka...and possibly others that I don't know about).

Though Fukuyama is pretty up there (as I noticed when I watched Code Geass and xxxHolic around the same time). I hadn't even realized he was Aidou before.

Edit because I've seen episode two now: I have to say that the series is at it's most interesting when the focus is one the vampire world. I find the ins and outs of VK's vampires to be just fascinating.

Also it was definitely some nice development between Kaname and Yuuki. Even though I do not support the ship, I do find their dynamic interesting (though not quite as interesting as either of them and Zero).

I also did like the little moment that foreshadows things to come with spoiler[Shiki.] I don't remember that happening in the manga, though it might have. If it didn't though, I think it's a good move on the anime's part to begin to introduce that plot point a bit earlier, because it will make things run smoother.

I also didn't remember spoiler[Ichiru being there. He's such an odd character to really get a handle on. But I have to again give love to Mamaru Miyano because I just adore the fact that he subtly changes his voice enough that each twin sounds distinctive.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay, up to episode 4 has come out and I've reached several conclusions:

-- Shiki's father is not a nice guy/vampire. I don't think he is the "great enemy" the purebloods are scared of, but he has something to do with that enemy at the very least.

-- Ichijou and Aidou are finally going to be easier to tell apart: they're progressively shifting to opposite sides of teams they know nothing about. Ichijou is being pressured by his uncle to some sort of noble uprising involving Shiki's resurrected father, and Aidou is investigating Kaname's plans and will inevitably side with him unless they're horribly dastardly.

-- Zero still isn't going to tell anybody about that whole humiliating thing of drinking Kaname's blood (which might be why Yuuki's SO worried about him) but I bet he's going to get some cool "nobility-style" powers like the other vamps soon.

-- Which he may need because I think his inferiority complex brother is going to try and kill him. If the "myth" holds true, though, Ichiru might as well try his best because Zero's going to "absorb" him instead.

and I also have a few conjectures based on HEAVY foreshadowing:

-- Someone did wipe Yuuki's memory. It was clearly Kaname, who has a penchant for that sort of thing, but why? And then it hit me. Her parents died. His parents died. She has a lot of tolerance for vampires, and keeps having these cracked-out dreams involving her deceased mother and BLOOD.

Oh, god, are they siblings?! Shocked

I don't know how two pureblood vampires can have a human baby, but this TOTALLY explains the distant/still rather horny way Kaname's been treating her. It's the older brother thing, but he REALLY doesn't want her to know she's his sister, does he? I don't know, I guess there's a lot more to it than that, but that may be our "triangle tripwire" for this show. There's always ONE thing that makes one of the relationships of the triangle a moot point, sometimes its blood relation, sometimes it's an oedipus complex for the girl, and sometimes it's death. If Kaname is her brother, even if he still has feelings for her, the moment she finds that out, I think we'll have tripped the triangle in Zero's favor.

No wonder he wants to make her a vampire, she may have been one once or is supposed to be one, and something went awry. Of course, if there's a way to make vampires human at all, there may be hope for Zero! Very Happy

I'm getting ahead of myself. There's still a good chance that's an off-the-wall theory but COME ON, the FORESHADOWING! Confused

-- Zero may already know this and is trying to keep Yuuki from discovering it for her own protection. Or he might not, I honestly can't tell.

-- Ruka's gonna have a bitch-fit on somebody at some point, unless they honestly leave her that unimportant. I mean, you can smell the jealousy anytime Kaname even looks at Yuuki.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Oooh, Jesu! Your instincts are so good! So tempting to spill the beans!!! I give you some more insight, if you want it. Hope I don't get in trouble, so I'll put what I'm going to type next in spoiler tags and you can read or not. But I won't tell everything, just what the anime should be revealing soon.

spoiler[Is Kaname Yuuki's brother? Yes and no, the body is originally his but the soul is that of an ancient ancestor. And this has something to do with Shiki's resurrected father. Yuuki is a vampire but because all her memories have been wiped, she thinks she's a human. If you have paid careful attention, you'll have noticed that Yuuki has some lingering vampiric powers. She can jump great distances without getting hurt and she can sense vampires. And she was born a vampire, so this won't be of any help to Zero. Though, I guess her blood could help Zero, since she's Kaname's sister/relative, she's a pureblood. And I'm sure you can imagine how Zero will react when he finds that out!]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
Oooh, Jesu! Your instincts are so good! So tempting to spill the beans!!! I give you some more insight, if you want it. Hope I don't get in trouble, so I'll put what I'm going to type next in spoiler tags and you can read or not. But I won't tell everything, just what the anime should be revealing soon.

spoiler[Is Kaname Yuuki's brother? Yes and no, the body is originally his but the soul is that of an ancient ancestor. And this has something to do with Shiki's resurrected father. Yuuki is a vampire but because all her memories have been wiped, she thinks she's a human. If you have paid careful attention, you'll have noticed that Yuuki has some lingering vampiric powers. She can jump great distances without getting hurt and she can sense vampires. And she was born a vampire, so this won't be of any help to Zero. Though, I guess her blood could help Zero, since she's Kaname's sister/relative, she's a pureblood. And I'm sure you can imagine how Zero will react when he finds that out!]

Eh. I went ahead and spoiled myself because you said my instincts were accurate, so it might not be much of a spoil.

...(reaction)

Uh. Really. Okay, that's kinda neat but doesn't it leave us with a big gaping

PLOTHOLE?

I mean, it doesn't quite make sense to me yet. If Yuuki spoiler[is and always has been a vampire, how does she not have the impossible to hide vampire eyes and teeth along with the glaringly obvious powers of recovery, agility skills, and "undead senses tingling." I guess you could reason that away by saying there was some sort of magic in place where she has to be "reawakened" or something, but that still doesn't change the fact that Zero drinking her blood had no effect whatsoever on him...aaaaand it would have if she was a pureblood. So I see now where people were talking about Zero's condition having holes. They make a big deal of him sapping a pureblood, but if he has been this entire time, they kinda should have fixed that in the writing, right?]

Either way, I find that a little silly. spoiler[She never had a longing for blood or any other signs of being a vampire? They're supposed to be very powerful urges, aren't they? And the teeth...]

Eh. I'll wait to see how they explain it, but my cynicism level just went up over...200. Not 9000, that would be if I was watching Dragon Ball Z. Wink
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

Either way, I find that a little silly. spoiler[She never had a longing for blood or any other signs of being a vampire? They're supposed to be very powerful urges, aren't they? And the teeth...]

To answer your question:

spoiler[there was strong magic preformed on Yuki to make her human, the way I understand it. She has no vampire features and all of her memories were sealed away (amazing how important memories are aren't they?) so she is technically human. And I must say, you do have a lot of good reasoning, kudos to you for seeing the clues most people didn't!]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

To answer your question:

spoiler[there was strong magic preformed on Yuki to make her human, the way I understand it. She has no vampire features and all of her memories were sealed away (amazing how important memories are aren't they?) so she is technically human. And I must say, you do have a lot of good reasoning, kudos to you for seeing the clues most people didn't!]

Okay, that's fine. That makes sense. It would be cool if that "strong magic" DID factor into possibly making Zero human to some degree, but sadly, it probably won't happen. Still, this is the anime, not the manga. They'll probably give it some conclusion, and...

The only hole left is spoiler[Zero not getting better from drinking Yuuki's blood, unless the "magic" altered that too.] That may just be an eternal plothole unless they bother to explain it in the anime.

Regardless, I can't wait to see this all play out! Very Happy

Of course, if spoiler[Kaname's body is that of her brother's...that's totally incest. Drop that end of the triangle right there unless something really wicked this way comes. Shocked ]
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Well it appears Zero will have to keep drinking pureblood vampire blood on a regular basis. Only the blood of his master could have kept him from completely falling to level E. Both Kaname and Ichiru drank Shizuka's blood. My guess is that spoiler[absorbing Ichiru cures him permanently. Yes, you were right about that, too! However, I'm not entirely sure if it does cure him.]

P.S. In the manga, I think I remember Kaname saying something about Zero's drinking of Yuuki's blood helped awaken her memories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9