• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overlord (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:48 pm Reply with quote
S4 #12

Even with the after-action report, Ainz STILL won't commit himself fully to a showdown against "Riku". Understandable, since he's not aware that the suit of armour is controlled remotely from his own knowledge of the previous game world. Like his brethren, he's not afraid to discard pride if it means finishing off the opponent thoroughly in a future decisive engagement. Neither side has fully figured out each other's capabilities, so there'll be a future showdown in a new season.

The tea party was weird, but once EvilEye explained the rationale it made sense. They treasure their leader above all else, so no sense in seeing her kill herself in a futile show of force. Lakyus never faced Demiurge, so she has no idea how outmatched her subordinates were. Renner wielding the sword is another strange thing I can't find an explanation right now, but she'll probably make more sense in the finale.

Brain Unglaus chose the way he wanted to go out, and Cocytus honoured his wish. It's actually against Nazarick's official policy to destroy potential assets, so Coytus is honouring both his creator's will and Ainz's desire to see his subordinates use their innate judgment instead of blindly following orders, even if it means Nazarick doesn't reap the full benefits. Cocytus didn't hold back either; the sword he chose was wielded previously against the Lizardmen and he's actually stronger using it. Although it was never a fair matchup, Cocytus had not expected any resistance in his advance so he wasn't lying either.

The Kingdom WILL fall, all that remains is what Renner is going to do in contributing to her kingdom's destruction.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
S4 #13

The end result is as one would expect, but the animators were kind enough to tie up a few loose ends from previous seasons. Viewers unacquainted with the source material can rewatch a few of the older episodes; that should be enough to connect the dots for the flashback sequences (those in a different colour palette to the "present" day).

1. In case viewers have forgotten, Renner DID get her earnest wish. That is, spending eternity with Climb. Although not quite nursing him for eternity, since he's going to be turned into a demon using that "Seed of the Fallen" which Renner previously used on herself. His obedience to her is enough to ensure loyalty to Ainz and Nazarick as well.
2. At the end of season 2, viewers might have wondered who the figure Demiurge instructed the Nazarick servants to leave untouched was. As expected, it was Climb. Demiurge had contact with Renner all the way back then, so the agreement to destroy the kingdom was hatched long before the climatic battle of season 3. Climb lived a charmed life throughout season 3, since Renner's instructions he keep his gaudy silver armour on during the big battle ensured no one in Nazarick's ranks would kill him by mistake. Even Mare held off on destroying the warehouse sector until Climb's whereabouts were confirmed.
3. It is not a surprise Renner provided the information required to destroy the Eight Fingers, with the catalyst being their kidnap of Sebas's favourite human Tuare. They had wanted to do so anyway, since their removal together with the weakening of the Crown Prince's position would have significantly accelerated Renner's plan to destroy her own kingdom. What IS a surprise is that her second older brother and Marquis Raevan were also in on the plot.
4. Is anyone surprised Phillip got his just desserts? My only regret is that the sequence was so short; something like the torture sequence in season 3 would have been more fulfilling.

They got someone with a good singing voice to play Renner's part. The lyrics are morbid, but the end result came out well. We know why she took a practice swing with the sword last week, it's a wonder she pulled off the kill when she could barely manage the downward swing because of the sword's weight.

Keep an eye on Mare. He's upset not because he had to kill innocent civilians; he was upset because his AOE destructive spells might have left open the possibility of escape for some survivors despite his orders for total annihilation. For a cross-dressing elf who can't keep level eye-contact with his affable if equally cruel older sister, he's definitely not one to judge by appearances alone.

Marquis Raevan as expected read the prevailing winds accurately and made a secret pact with Nazarick together with like-minded nobles. They survive with their fiefs intact, and they might even benefit in the medium-term once some of the devastated lands are parcelled out for redistribution. All he had to do was allow free passage to Nazarick armies during the invasion and keep their whereabouts from being reported. Although he knew of Renner's plan in season 2, I don't think he was aware of her ultimate betrayal even if he might suspect it.

All in all, Ainz made a grand show of putting his "Carrot and Stick" approach to international relations into effect. He's even gained some info on potential threats to Nazarick, which he otherwise failed to obtain at the start of the season and before. His Adventurer Guild patronage will likely continue, since he wants more people to explore on his behalf. He has to work towards drawing out "Riku" one more time for better combat info, but that's homework for him to keep him occupied from the day-to-day drudgery of ruling over human thralls. I'm not sure what the "beginning of the end" refers to, since the adaptation has been solid and I would love to see more Overlord novels animated now that the final volume is going to be released and a full franchise can be animated in scope.
Cam0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like this season of Overlord as much as the previous seasons. I think big part of that is that the first half of this season felt like a filler of sorts. The second half was fun but I feel like a lot details were left out or something.

Ainz is evil and, he and his underlings deserve to be destroyed, but I still enjoy watching them wreck havoc. Looking forward to the movie.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:04 am Reply with quote
I don't know, I didn't super enjoy a finale that just felt like cruelty on part of the inhuman characters. Just not a lot that felt humorous as the show could sometimes be, whether Ainz accidentally stumbling onto something winner, the denizens interpreting Ainz's motivations a certain way, or what felt like a satisfying/surprising reveal of a plot. This episode did have the "reveal" of Renne's plan coming to fruition, but her part kind of seemed obvious before now that it wasn't really a surprise in the least, or maybe something was missing to make it more exciting.

There really was arguably a big spot of compare and contrast between Renner and Ainz, over how much either is a psychopath/sociopath with no morals other than specific things/people they care about, with a motivation of being around them. But in the end, it just felt kind of flat, of yeah she was evil and was working. Demon Renner is kind of interesting, but more that seeing that she was actually this demonic on the inside.

I did enjoy other parts of the seas/on though, especially the parts that we got to spend with Ainz. My rating will be Very good (8/10), don't miss it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I don't know, I didn't super enjoy a finale that just felt like cruelty on part of the inhuman characters.

While evil seems to prevail in Overlord, to me it never feels like the story is sympathetic towards the evil deeds done by the evil characters in the show nor does it try to justify what they do. I don't feel like the show is truly trying to make me root for Ainz's journey towards world domination even if no one is able to stop him. The most sympathetic characters in Overlord are always the good people like Climb or Brain. What happens to them is tragic and the tragedies are part of what makes Overlord enjoyable for me.

I'm kinda hoping that in the end Ainz gets what's coming for him, but I'm not yet sure if that's a realistic expectation for this story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22