• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Made in Abyss

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Noooo. Not cool. Not enough time has passed. I just stopped being horrified by Nina jokes. Crying or Very sad

In the next to last scene in episode 13, when Nanachi looked back at her house, what did it remind of? Smile

Mitty's room is ALSO shaped like her head. I'd like to think that Nanachi designed the house and its rooms to all look like Mitty to try and find the beauty in her new form and memorialize it, you know, try to make Mitty feel appreciated, if she could understand the gesture.

And to think that I had finally stopped crying...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:39 pm Reply with quote
@ James_Beckett - congratulations on a great job reviewing the individual episodes, by the way. I feel like you really captured what makes this show so special.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
In the next to last scene in episode 13, when Nanachi looked back at her house, what did it remind of? Smile

Mitty's room is ALSO shaped like her head.

So is Nanachi's helmet when you get right down to it.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ James_Beckett - congratulations on a great job reviewing the individual episodes, by the way. I feel like you really captured what makes this show so special.

Thank you! It was a great pleasure to share my thoughts and feelings about this wonderful (and traumatizing) show.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Made in Abyss was done by the same director who did Urasawa's Monster anime adaptation. Upon discovering that, I knew the outcome would be most likely good from it. That it trying out to be stunning beautiful, joyful, terrifying and completely, justifiable earned in it's tear-drawing makes it a triumph and the 2nd best anime of 2017. (1st is still Rakugo season 2)
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:38 pm Reply with quote
This,for me,is one of the most faithful adaptions of the source material I've had to pleasure to watch.

Those comments calling Made in Abyss "infamous" pfft "hold my beer" ya ain't seen nothing yet.
If you can stand the snails pace of which the manga's release,highly recommend picking it up.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
James_Beckett wrote:

And to think that I had finally stopped crying...

Hmm perhaps you should not read the manga past chapters 23 to 26(episode 13).

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
That elevator had to be one of the most horrifying things I've seen in awhile. I'm curious what significance was of putting them on different sides. Like does one side handle the curse better than the other? If so, why can't White Whistles climb back up on the side that's less dangerous? I mean sure you'd still lose your humanity, but at least it's not Mitty-tier bad.

Like everyone else has said, it would be criminal to not give this a second season. Even if there's not enough material, at least do an OVA of the Bondrewd stuff so we get a conclusion to that storyline.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
It's not that the chambers actually shield anyone from the curse, but that the curse that would normally be evenly distributed between the two chambers is forced to one side.

Bondrewd actually says some really interesting things about the way it works that build off of Nanachi's explanation of the consciousness-sensitive nature of the curse. First, the elevators don't shield anyone (that is, they don't "move" the curse to one chamber at all) if there's a human in one chamber and an animal in the other. Second, he says that since Nanachi and Mitty are "such close friends", he's sure the experiment will be a success. These two facts combined imply to me that it's specifically the empathy and concern between the two in the chambers that triggers the concentration of the curse effects onto one side.

If you watch the fight between Reg and the Orbed Piercer in episode 12, you'll notice that when Reg looks up on Nanachi's command, the curse concentrates in a pillar above his head; the object of his mental focus, or where he intends/desires to go, is where the force-field concentrates. So if you have Nanachi desiring with all of their heart to go save Mitty, that might be precisely the mechanism by which the elevator funnels the curse into one chamber. Basically all you would need for it to work is a one-way valve connecting the two chambers. Regardless of the actual mechanism, Bondrewd was able to specify beforehand that it would be Mitty's chamber in which the force-field would be concentrated, so I think something like some kind of one-way channel makes sense.

Or maybe it doesn't utilize the consciousness sensitivity of the force-field at all, and the elevator just forces the force-field from one chamber to another. That might actually make more sense. Neutral If that is the case, then it would have to be some kind of mechanism that fails if there's not something in the other chamber that can be effected by the curse viz. a living human.

Last edited by 鏡 on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:26 pm; edited 11 times in total
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I bet some of the ANN casts are now regretting their choices in "The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2017".
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
I bet some of the ANN casts are now regretting their choices in "The Best and Worst Anime of Summer 2017".

Can't speak for others, but you'd be wrong in my case and I've already said as much.

Is its last episode stronger that the last episode of its top competitor, Princess Principal? Sure; in fact, you'd probably find few people who have watched both series to conclusion who would disagree on that, since PP's final episode, even though not bad, wasn't its best. However, I don't rank only on a strong final episode and definitely don't ride on emotions when considering a seasonal or yearly ranking. Even if maybe not quite as emotional, PP's best episodes are on a level with MiA's best and I thought PP had more of them overall. (Or perhaps more accurately, fewer weaker episodes.) MiA has Nanachi, but PP has Chise. Mitty and Nanachi have a compelling background story, but so does Princess. Both have strong technical merits (with a slight edge to MiA), wonderfully-imagined settings, and moments of shocking harshness. Both have bits of humor, too (although PP is stronger here).

So yeah, even with the finale figured in I still stand by my assertion that the two are neck-and-neck for the top spot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I also wanted to say thanks to James for his review. As much as I ended up enjoying this series, I have to agree with Theron's vote for Princess Principal as the season's top pick. Overall, I found it to be a stronger series, though Made in Abyss is a solid runner up. Thanks to all of you for the reviews and the comments
rpgmaniac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
Very nice review James & I agree completely with you, this anime is a Masterpiece I also don't remember when it was the last time an anime touch me so much & wreck me inside as much as MiA, the last episode make me to shed tears uncontrollable I literally couldn't stop, & I also agree that if we don't get a 2nd season it would be a crime! I wish we get one as soon as possible & I hope that it will be as good as the first one, this studio & all the staff behind this anime deserve all the praise in the world, they did an astonishing job & I never had them in high regard but after that those guys belong to the Major League along with the best out there, definitely.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:54 am Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:

Why? Just because you're easily brought by emotion baiting of two characters who only appeared a few episodes ago doesn't mean everyone else is. In fact two years ago another reviewer praised a show for doing the exact same thing only it was stretched out for 12 episodes long story short nobody even remembers the show anymore probably because they realize how much they butchered the source of material or it didn't leave a lasting impression outside the weak season it premiered on. Made in the Abyss will wind up being the same.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:05 am Reply with quote
I don't really have much to add to erveryboy else's comments (the nice ones...), except that the anime made it even more emotional than the manga. When i read this part i only lost it when Nanachi started crying, this time it already started when she talked about her fear of Mitty being alone forever after her death...Crying or Very sad

As for Mitty's death, it might have been a "mercy killing", but that didn't make it any easier for Nanachi. This was her one and only friend, her treasure and pretty much her only reason for living! And as much as she rationally understood that it was the best solution for both of them, she still didn't really want to part from Mitty. Kudos to the seiyuu for doing such a fantastic job!

It was a good stopping point but i really want to see more (and hear more of Morikawa Toshiyuki's Bondrewd!), so i'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a second season, even if it means we'll have to wait a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 29