• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 11

"spoiler[what's the purpose of yer visit]?"
Laughing Sorry that just made me laugh for some reason, the accent felt kind of surreal for an anime. Actually the accents are not that bad, I would probably pass them as being pretty believable.

Okay, Sydney Harbour bridge, Qantas plains (without the logo), cockatoo, Australian's called Russel and Lori, some proper aussie slang and mannerisms, actually some really good accents that receptionist definitely, Sydney Central Station, the interior of the double story train, and the Opera House. As an Australian who spent 5 years in Sydney, I give this episode my stamp of approval.

Some of you may not be too familiar with the culture, so I will link this video on How to talk Australians.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
The English in the latest episode was spoiler[really good. I mean good by really good as if it was spoken by a native.]

And they probably were, but they were definitely spoiler[not Australian.]

Why would you say that? I can tell you they had the slang down, and better than most American movies trying to pretend to be Australian.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
Really nice English in this episode.
Can't believe spoiler[Haru actually went with Rin to Australia!]
Still, it was weird how they were together, yet separate.
Think spoiler[Rin wants Haru to get his mojo back.]
All of his friends are hoping for it.
Flashbacks to spoiler[Rin's childhood] in Australia were nice.
It was also a good way to tell Haru that he'll find his purpose in life.
It was really sweet seeing spoiler[Haru realize how much Rin looks up to him.
Bed sharing]
was LOL
Their Australian adventure is fun so far ^^
Looks like spoiler[Haru's confidence is back]!
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, i'd expected more spoiler[angst (and bad English)] and less spoiler[fanservice], but this was just perfect. Very Happy

It was nice to see Rin being so spoiler[honest about his feelings and Haru gradually opening up and finally being able to find his dream.] And while we still haven't seen Haru's parents or Rin's mom, we've now met spoiler[Rin's Australian parents] at least. Also loved to see little!Rin again, he was the most adorable kid ever (well, aside from Barakamon's Naru maybe...).

Best line of the episode: spoiler["Stuff like this is probably normal here"] (Haru while looking at the hotel bed). Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Kids, if anyone ever says "Hop inside the car, son" in that tone of voice, run away!!

You know something's seriously wrong when Haru won't get into the water.

The English was good, the accents were good, but they sounded slightly off, as if they were native Aussies who hadn't been in Australia in 20 years. But what a great episode. I wanted to see some swimming though. For a minute I thought Rin wanted to turn Haru on to surfing. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Since opinion is that they were off, maybe I was a little bias. The only other anime at the moment I can think of with an "Australian accent" would be the dub of Ghost Hunt, and that anime gets it totally wrong. While they were a little wooden, they were a world difference in being better than John Brown. Most previously Australians that live in America I hear in various entertainment stuff tend to have their accents warped a little closer to the stereotype that you guys like to think, while I could not hear that in this episode. Kind of like some of you guys need a fake accent to believe a character actually is Australian.

Actually I would pull up some of the slight varied accents to be the types I heard in the episode to be quite similar to a couple native animated shows, which may not be a coincidence. Off the top of my head cartoons like Bottletop Bill, Flipper and Lopaka, and Old Tom, which all share this particular type of accent, an assumption I have made is that it may be connected to Melbourne in sounding more suburban, which is somewhere I have not been yet and is where a lot of TV gets done.

Look at me being totally hipster with things that no one has heard or cares about.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so much English...but anyway, we got to see spoiler[some of Rin's life in Australia!] And it was really nice to see how spoiler[the couple Rin lived with during that time really seemed to love and care about him.]

Both the comedic and the more serious scenes in the hotel room were great. I liked when spoiler[Rin and Haru started arguing over whose girly name was at fault for the one bed mix-up.] Laughing

Really enjoyable episode. It's so sweet whenever Haru genuinely smiles...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Why would you say that? I can tell you they had the slang down, and better than most American movies trying to pretend to be Australian.

I won't argue since you're an Aussie and probably know better, but I do have Australian friends and they do not sound remotely close to this. I'm basing my judgment on actual Australians I've heard and not stereotypical Australian accents, if that helps. I'm not talking about the slang since the script was pretty good, but the actual accent in which they were spoken.

While I appreciate that they actually used people who can speak English, their acting was quite poor. Well, you can't have it both ways. I'm sure they were not actual voice actors.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I found the episode a bit fanservicey and Haru got over his issues way too easily but as someone who studied abroad in Australia for a semester (albeit I was only in Sydney for a weekend, my school was on the Gold Coast) I couldn't help but enjoy this episode. Not really sure how two High School boys who don't work could afford the trip though. But who cares I loved all the shots of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. Sydney really is a beautiful city.

And anyone who likes Miyano speaking English, he definitely spoke a lot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
After a second listen my feeling is that the customs agent and Russell (whose VA's name sounds Italian) are genuine Aussies that can't act, so they sound stilted; the hotel receptionist is the real deal and can act; and Lori is neither a native English speaker nor an Australian, but she's not a bad actor and her accent is still excellent. If you listen very closely to her s's (which have a slight sh to them) and r's, they don't sound like someone totally at ease with those consonants. Her surname of Lee may or may not support that guess.

Another thing I noticed was that it sounded like all the English cast was literally phoning it in. They all sounded muddy, like they were recording in a phone booth or a home studio and Skyping it to Japan. Some American VAs do long distance recording too, but they apparently have better facilities to work from.

And Miyano's English was awesome. Very Happy
mierin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Not really sure how two High School boys who don't work could afford the trip though.

Remember in the previous episode Rin received a letter from Australia?

During a later scene, Rin was lying on his bed at the dorm and the letter was next to him, you can seesomething that looked very much like a plane ticket there. It had the word Sydney and seat number written (this was just before Momo comes barging in with Pyunsuke if you feel the need to look it up)

Since Rin's homestay parents didn't know he was coming, it was probably his old coach that sent him the tickets and asked him to come over. I don't know about Haru though... is it possible that he sent over two tickets? The only thing I saw was the ticket, and we don't know what exactly the coach wrote in the letter to get Rin to come.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:07 am Reply with quote
^ I do now recall the letter, don't recall the tickets but that does make sense. I suppose Rin could have been given two tickets & told to bring a friend for arguments sake.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:

I won't argue since you're an Aussie and probably know better, but I do have Australian friends and they do not sound remotely close to this. I'm basing my judgment on actual Australians I've heard and not stereotypical Australian accents, if that helps. I'm not talking about the slang since the script was pretty good, but the actual accent in which they were spoken.

I'm going to assume that there's probably more than one Australian accent just as there are multiple accents from both England and the United States or any other English-speaking countries.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm going to assume that there's probably more than one Australian accent just as there are multiple accents from both England and the United States or any other English-speaking countries.

From what DuskyPredator wrote that's kind of what I figured. You'd kinda think they would want use the accent most people were familiar with though to get the point across. ^^;
zztop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote
The credits list the English voicework from Atomic Monkey USA.
It is the American branch of Japanese voice acting company Atomic Monkey, currently headed by veteran voice actor Tomokazu Seki.

Perhaps Kyoani found it easier to source English-speaking talent from their own connections rather than obtain it from an entirely new Western source.

Also, does anyone know if the original Japanese broadcast had Japanese subtitles for the English dialogue?
I noticed there was no hiragana script hardcoded into the episode, unlike other English-dialogue shows such as Terror in Resonance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 34