• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ride Back (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Have to wonder about your life experiences if you've never seen this kind of thing happen. People get sociable like this with strangers who share a common interest all the time.

Yeah exactly, rather silly to argue otherwise unless you're stuck in a basement or something. I mean seriously how else can you not see this happen constantly let alone not experience it yourself?
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Key wrote:
Have to wonder about your life experiences if you've never seen this kind of thing happen. People get sociable like this with strangers who share a common interest all the time.

Yeah exactly, rather silly to argue otherwise unless you're stuck in a basement or something. I mean seriously how else can you not see this happen constantly let alone not experience it yourself?

I believe the 'stuck in a basement' comment was unnecessary but I agree with your point.

I remember back when I was in Uni I was REALLY into my Judo and Jiu Jitsu and I would wait patiently through lectures just to get back onto the mats, weekends spent in the gym working those muscles there to make my Sankaku better or just imagining the move sequences for Ura Kota...in exams...which I passed...barely.

Sitting on the train or the bus and hearing someone else mention either and my ears would perk up, I would, and did, and sometimes still do strike up a conversation with such people solely on the topic of martial arts.

While I think the girl utterly gushing was uncomfortable and embarrassing for everyone involved as an exaggeration it isn't too far off how people can get at things like book signings with their favourite authors and the like.
flawful

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Well it doesn't look like they're following the manga at all they made tons of random changes to the story.

spoiler[First off annoying fangirl girl was not in the manga.

In the manga they explicitly show that she lives with her family.

They seem to be overemphasizing the ballet aspect of it and neglecting to get into the political stuff.

And most importantly she didn't even quit ballet in the manga.]

I don't usually read the manga and watch the anime so I don't know how they usually do it, but the rideback manga is pretty good so I don't see why they are even making changes. Not to mention the changes extended the show. I mean they wasted a whole episode covering maybe one chapter and they only have 12 episodes for a 9 volume story.

Could still be good, but I'm predicting doom and gloom.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:50 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Hey, why the hostility? I wasn't - and still aren't - trying to pick a fight with you, you know. I was just expressing my personal views, views that will naturally be different from those of most other people. So why are you making such a big deal out of this?

Huh? Key isn't being hostile at all. He's a bit annoyed, yes, but he's certainly not trying to pick a fight with you. He isn't making a big deal out of this either. You are. Your views don't quite make sense to him (with which I'm inclined to agree with him in some respects), and as a result, he's simply attempting to have a discussion with you in order to clear things up. Isn't that what this thread is here for anyway? Discussion? In spite of this, you're suddenly playing the victim rather than answering Key's question. I won't deny that you have the right to your own personal opinions, but you really need to lighten up a little.

dtm42 wrote:
Edit: According a user at Mechatalk, we were shown several instances of Rin's panties. Hmmm. Do I dare go and rewatch the episode frame by frame to check......

I really don't understand how you could have missed the panty shots as they were very noticeable, if a bit distracting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gibbage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

I really don't understand how you could have missed the panty shots as they were very noticeable, if a bit distracting.

Not only that, but one of the characters yells out "Hay, I can see your panties!" If THAT dont get your attention, nothing will Wink
farruinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

I actually thought they did a good job with being tasteful about this. I didn't notice them at all the first time through. There weren't actually that many and they were quite short. Instead, I found the club member blushing and the basketball player calling out to her much more entertaining.

Anyway, I'm going to stop here now. You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when all you can talk about are the number and quality of panty shots in an episode... Rolling Eyes
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
flawful I actually preferred the start to the anime compared to the manga... and I'm sure it will get into it's political aspect shortly anyway...

Jedi General wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Edit: According a user at Mechatalk, we were shown several instances of Rin's panties. Hmmm. Do I dare go and rewatch the episode frame by frame to check......

Care to name where they were? Only part that was obvious was the following which was a frame or two anyway...

Skylark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I believe the 'stuck in a basement' comment was unnecessary but I agree with your point.

I remember back when I was in Uni I was REALLY into my Judo and Jiu Jitsu and I would wait patiently through lectures just to get back onto the mats, weekends spent in the gym working those muscles there to make my Sankaku better or just imagining the move sequences for Ura Kota...in exams...which I passed...barely.

Sitting on the train or the bus and hearing someone else mention either and my ears would perk up, I would, and did, and sometimes still do strike up a conversation with such people solely on the topic of martial arts.

While I think the girl utterly gushing was uncomfortable and embarrassing for everyone involved as an exaggeration it isn't too far off how people can get at things like book signings with their favourite authors and the like.

Ditto. I've been playing guitar for just about half my life now, and I practice religiously (6+ hours a day, more if I'm not working) in preparation for both my uni course and just because I want to achieve absolute mastery of the instrument. I met my hero on guitar earlier this year (John Petrucci), and while normally I'm a mature, conversationally-able person, I turned into goo in front of him and could barely utter a few words. I mean I've spent years aspiring to be a modicum on this great player, so of course I will be humbled! Of course other people have other reactions (ie blabbering like an idiot) but you have to remember that the protagonist chick was a ballet star, and that she would have a measure of fame in arts departments at colleges. I really didn't see anything out of place with this exchange (although the blabbing chick did annoy me somewhat).

As for the other topic, if I see someone so much as wearing a shirt with a band I know on it I tend to strike up conversation; mostly on public transport to offset the boredom. I've even been approached by people in shopping centers because i virtually always wear Dream Theater shirts, and they just want to know if I saw the Chaos in Motion concert or blah blah - this kind of thing happens all the time to me lol. It might not if I wasn't so passionate about music I guess...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gibbage

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice Gif Weslo!!! I wonder if I would get into trouble with it as my avatar Wink
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Care to name where they were? Only part that was obvious was the following which was a frame or two anyway...

Well, I have to agree with farruinn about the conversation, but in my frame-by-frame enjoyment of the rideback's maneuvers, trying to figure out how it's actually controlled, I finally noticed a few frames of panty, where I hadn't before and wasn't sure there were any the first time through. If bystanders hadn't commented, I would have thought the show was avoiding ecchi altogether.

Note that there are a couple of white/grey parts on the rideback near the seat that could be mistaken for underthings as well. That gif is the most blatant by far. We must keep in mind that they had a prefect opportunity and about a thousand chances there to show something. There can't be more than 20-30 single frames altogether that display for fractions of a second. That gif even distorts it by replaying, since in the show that view lasts less than 2 seconds, if that. The first time at viewing speed, I thought I was seeing the front of her dress through her legs (you know they can't be going for ecchi when they draw panties that badly).

I think we're nowhere near Ikkitousen territory here Smile
farruinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
in my frame-by-frame enjoyment of the rideback's maneuvers, trying to figure out how it's actually controlled, I finally noticed a few frames of panty

This sounds suspiciously like a cover. "Trying to figure out how it's controlled" ...riiiiiiight Wink
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:11 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
pparker wrote:
in my frame-by-frame enjoyment of the rideback's maneuvers, trying to figure out how it's actually controlled, I finally noticed a few frames of panty

This sounds suspiciously like a cover. "Trying to figure out how it's controlled" ...riiiiiiight Wink

No, really... I'm not kidding... Oh, I'm never going to win this one Cool

But truly, because I think it's cool--back when I thought someone in-show had said the rideback was "mentally" controlled, I got interested in how it actually interfaces. The leaning is one thing, but it performs about 100 motions for every "lean" or "pull" or whatever that the rider does, plus reverses the drivetrain motion instantly--pretty demanding on a supposed modified motorcycle. And the more I watched it, the more the rideback looked human, and in particular just like my former rollerblade instructor at Santa Monica Beach (except for her being a petite ex-ice dancer, that is... some of you may even recall the "Glide with Pride" sign near the concession stand). And... OMG, what if Rin's mother is actually inside the Fuego...

Plus it's just a joy to look at those pictures.

And... if I want panties, I have Ikkitousen on my shelf and Kanokon on my harddrive, thank you. Much better quality.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:21 pm Reply with quote
If you've reading this, then you are likely responding to my post. Please note that I genuinely feel upset at how this "discussion" is going, and how I seem to be picked on at the moment. Please please PLEASE keep in mind that I am trying my best to close this "discussion" down, and that I DO NOT WANT anyone to respond to this post. I can't stop you, but if it is more of the same "discussion" that I have been getting then I WILL report you. Also, please DO NOT PM ME, as your PM will just go unread and be summarily deleted. ---Daniel Alright, I'll bite. One last time.

Jedi General wrote:
Huh? Key isn't being hostile at all. He's a bit annoyed, yes, but he's certainly not trying to pick a fight with you.

If you were observant you would know that I almost never use emoticons. In fact, I have only ever used an emoticon once, and that was in a PM. I would rather have five paragraphs of ranting directed towards me than a single "Rolling Eyes" emoticon. It's like Key is saying that he thinks so low of me he won't even bother with communicating anymore, and instead he will just dismiss me. That's being hostile. Or at least not-very-nice.

As for him picking a fight, I wasn't saying that he was. I was saying that I didn't want to continue this discussion, and that he shouldn't think of me as trying to argue with him. I was just explaining myself.

Jedi General wrote:
He isn't making a big deal out of this either. You are.

You might want to go back and check who started it. He brought it up, not me. He's the one who responded to my explanations. I tried to shut it down, but he - and now you - just open it up again.

Jedi General wrote:
Your views don't quite make sense to him (with which I'm inclined to agree with him in some respects), and as a result, he's simply attempting to have a discussion with you in order to clear things up. Isn't that what this thread is here for anyway? Discussion?

Yeah, discussion. About the Anime, not my views. I don't have to clear anything up, not when I feel that I'm being ganged up on. This isn't a trial you know, though I have to say it does feel like one.

Jedi General wrote:
In spite of this, you're suddenly playing the victim rather than answering Key's question.

I hardly think that I'm "playing" the victim when I get comments likening me to being "stuck in a basement". It's not a nice feeling when your being picked on.

As for answering Key's question, what question? The trope thing? What I meant by that was concerning characters who are far more mature than their biological age would suggest. Ever turned on the T.V. to a "soap" or drama concerning teenagers, and were shocked at how unrealistically mature they acted like at times? Now, it isn't an actual named trope as far I can tell, but is partially related to the Writers On Board. In this case we seemed to have two characters who suddenly begin to discuss Rin? Why do they discuss her? To give a (albeit small) "Infodump" as to her condition with ballet. I don't mind the information itself; it is the way in which the information is presented to us that is annoying to me personally.

Notice that I said "me personally".

Jedi General wrote:
I won't deny that you have the right to your own personal opinions, but you really need to lighten up a little.

Reading between the lines, "I grudgingly won't deny that you technically have the right to your own personal opinions, but you really need to either start agreeing with me or get out."

If I have the right to my opinions, and those opinions are not morally outrageous or (being subjective) factually incorrect, then why even bring them up? What do you care?

What does anyone care? I thought this was a thread to discuss Ride Back, not a thread where people jump on anyone who wasn't completely enthralled with the pilot.

So can we please move on, and just talk about the show? Thankyou.
Skylark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
[There's a size=0 tag here]If you've reading this, then you are likely responding to my post. Please note that I genuinely feel upset at how this "discussion" is going, and how I seem to be picked on at the moment. Please please PLEASE keep in mind that I am trying my best to close this "discussion" down, and that I DO NOT WANT anyone to respond to this post. I can't stop you, but if it is more of the same "discussion" that I have been getting then I WILL report you. Also, please DO NOT PM ME, as your PM will just go unread and be summarily deleted. ---Daniel[/sizetag ends here]

LOL. Report me then - You shouldn't have had this "one last bite" in a post, but rather pm'd it yourself. And by saying you're going to report anyone who dares reply to it, and delete any pm's in response... I'm sorry but that's just cowardly and ridiculous.

Perhaps you should be a little more mature; if you really wanted the discussion to stop, rather than fueling it with this massive off-topic post you would have taken it directly to pm and saved the rest of us your bleeding heart. Why you feel the need to defend yourself I don't know, since you're turning the aforementioned posts into attacks in your own head... for example:

Quote:
Reading between the lines, "I grudgingly won't deny that you technically have the right to your own personal opinions, but you really need to either start agreeing with me or get out."

I don't know how you got "start agreeing with me or get out" bit from "you really need to lighten up a little." This massive post is further proof that you need to lighten up. By stating your opinions on a forum (even if they are factually correct or not morally outrageous) then you should expect that other people are going to have differing opinions and discuss/argue their own - if you didn't want your opinion being the subject of a debate then don't post on a forum. Certainly don't post on a forum if you're going to take offense to a roll-eyes gif.

Quote:
Yeah, discussion. About the Anime, not my views. I don't have to clear anything up, not when I feel that I'm being ganged up on. This isn't a trial you know, though I have to say it does feel like one.

A discussion is facilitated by two or more people sharing their views over a given topic isn't it? That's the point - if you state an opinion and other people don't agree with it/don't understand it, of course they're going to question the logic behind your statements... rather than taking it as a personal attack, you could have just done the mature thing and posted your logic so that people here might better understand why you view things a certain way.

For example, I disagreed with what you said about the fan girl and gave reasoning based on my own experience being a simultaneous artist and fan myself. If you want to shut down the discussion, why not write something constructive about why you feel the way you do about the opinions which you posted, instead of needlessly trying to defend yourself. If you really felt you were being treated unfairly you should have pm'd the people involved or an administrator; I'm sure that there isn't anyone on this board specifically who posts with the intent to cause offense.

Anyways, before this thread goes even further off the rails; I too rewatched the show looking for panty shots. I'm not going to sugar coat it lol. But I can say that I have trouble seeing any specifically put in for fanservice, and again I found myself being pulled into her ecstasy at finding the rideback as fun and easy as it was for her to dance, and I was definitely never _distracted_ by panty shots.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:36 am Reply with quote
Alright, let's keep this civil and on topic folks. Keep the personal beefs you might have with one another to PMs and e-mails or whatever other private channel you might wish to use. Further derailing and flamefests will result in the thread being locked, and further action taken towards those making the posts that caused the lock if deemed necessary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 11