• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Psychic Reading

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
mad mac wrote:
Quote:
Natsuyuki is projected as the worst selling show of the Summer season (about 500 copies sold), so I wouldn't call it a victory yet. Jellyfish also sold about 700 copies. If anything, it just shows that the anime fanbase doesn't want these kinds of shows made.

Well, they're shows aimed at a difference audience. It might be more accurate to say that josei fans apparently don't buy (Or watch?) a lot of anime.

I hate to equate a show's artistic merit to how many DVDs it sold in Japan. I mean, as viewers outside of Japan, how much should we consider Japanese DVD sales as a predictor of what we might like to watch or purchase? A certain amount of market vigilance is perfectly fine for curiosity's sake, but certainly I greatly enjoy titles that were commercial flops both inside and outside of Japan.

But that's not what he was doing. Sales isn't ever an objective measurement of a show's quality. It is, however, an objective measurement (within reason and only for late-night anime) of a show's profitability. Whether or not that's important to you is whether or not you want to see more shows, be it a sequel or clones, of something you like. That's the general purpose of 'market vigilance' and is typically why sales numbers get quoted. I personally pay close attention to sales numbers to spot trends in the market. For instance, fujoshi have seriously been piling on support with anime, most recently with Kuroko no Basket. So there will definitely be more reverse harems and other shows with a largely-male cast and homoerotic undertones.
mad mac

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But that's not what he was doing. Sales isn't ever an objective measurement of a show's quality. It is, however, an objective measurement (within reason and only for late-night anime) of a show's profitability. Whether or not that's important to you is whether or not you want to see more shows, be it a sequel or clones, of something you like. That's the general purpose of 'market vigilance' and is typically why sales numbers get quoted. I personally pay close attention to sales numbers to spot trends in the market. For instance, fujoshi have seriously been piling on support with anime, most recently with Kuroko no Basket. So there will definitely be more reverse harems and other shows with a largely-male cast and homoerotic undertones.

Exactly. Discussing sales and quality of different shows are both interesting subjects with very little overlap except that one has a strong bearing on how likely we are to see more of something.

I do believe it's true that Noitama shows are likely more concerned with viewership than DVD sales, however. As noted the block as a whole has never moved a lot of units but it keeps on trucking. That's fine! Not every show exists to milk DVD sales, either in Japan or the U.S.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

Natsuyuki is projected as the worst selling show of the Summer season (about 500 copies sold), so I wouldn't call it a victory yet. Jellyfish also sold about 700 copies. If anything, it just shows that the anime fanbase doesn't want these kinds of shows made.

I wonder why though? Confused
Could it be because both shows are aimed at women/older viewers? That the protagonists are adults (over the age 19) and not adorable teens? That the writing is 'fairly' more realistic than idolized or more down-to-earth than living out wild fantasy?
In that case, is it even possible for both types to sell well?

I think it is probably because anime has been pandering to the manabi line otaku for so long now, most people have stopped paying any attention to it. So much of it caters only to a continually contracting audience, with the rest of the potential audience increasingly dismissive.
Yes, I imagine a lot of the potential josei anime audience in Japan has forsaken anime altogether and is watching imported K-dramas. Anime doesn't have much to offer specifically to adult women, sadly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4