• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Schedules Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Films in June

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainbanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
spoiler[First of all, you make it seem like Char's goal was to obliterate mankind. At most he was trying to force the few that still remained on the planet, the ones that controlled everybody, into space so their minds would broaden, and the Earth could get a break.

Second, Lalah was never really a reason behind Char's actions in CCA, but it was something that happened, and since their rivalry was heating up again, it came up again. People take the whole "Lalah could have been a mother to me!" thing a little too literally, for instance. If they're clashing again, of course she's going to come up, but it was little more than a petty "Oh yeah, what about that one time!" thing, an addition to what they were already fighting over. ]

Anyway, this is a thread about those awful Zeta movies, not CCA.

I specifically said that his goal was to move people to space. In moving those people, he'd also cause a large portion of the plant and animal population of Earth to die as well. It's not like all humans living on Earth would magically escape the enormous impact either, and he didn't seem to really care very much about that. Could his plan have involved more human suffering? Sure. It was diabolical enough as it was though, and I'm saying that it's hard to peg that sort of a plan on someone with the personality seen in Zeta. Again though, it is definitely more in line with the conceited, high minded Char seen in 0079, which was the point I was trying to make.

I didn't bring up CCA. If you'd like to revert to bashing the Z movies again though, I'm all for it. I really disliked them.

@flobo - I've seen that summary before. There are a few translated chapters (done by Deacon Blues I believe, who posted here a while ago) but the project was never finished. I can't blame him though, since translating an entire book is extremely hard work. I've always wanted to read it, but it's probably never going to happen.
guitarist52692

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:16 pm Reply with quote
First, I don't think most people here are accounting for the years between series. There was an 8 year gap between 0079 and Zeta. The calm and collected Char shown there is a more mature Char who is beginning to put his faith in the idea that things will all turn out all right. But when they don't improve, and actually get much worse than ever, he begins to react angrily and rashly, which leads to his actions in CCA. What he really tried to accomplish is debatable, but his supposed illogical personality changes make sense when you take all of this into consideration.
butterfly320

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
They were licensed for release over here quite a while back, but then nothing happened until now. After waiting this long, I thought they had changed their minds about releasing them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4