• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Expo 2010 - Funimation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
I know this is probably a weird thing to zero in on, but I'm a Chrono Crusade fangirl, so I will--it's pretty surprising to me that Funi's got the license for it now (along with the other ADV titles). I remember that after ADV lost a lot of their licenses one of the things they did following that was rerelease a few of their more popular series in Christmas editions, including Chrono Crusade. It seems like that was always one of their better selling series, so the fact that Section 23/whatever they are now didn't hold onto it is...funny. Not exactly surprising, just doesn't seem like a good sign for how the newer company is doing in general. (Of course, there's probably all sorts of crazy business stuff going on behind the scenes with that and I'm a bit poor at being able to understand that sort of thing well. So who really knows...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
They can only stream to the UK shows that they are licensed to stream here, which not all their titles.

As understandable as these restrictions are, it is plausible that the degree to which other regions are unable to watch their streams imposes an upper limit on the degree to which their anti-piracy efforts can be effective on a global scale.
After all:
Quote:
Sheehan also talked about the company's anti-piracy efforts, mentioning that one of the most important things that fans could do would be to watch free internet streams.

In face of existing restrictions, one presumes these comments were only directed towards the subset of anime fans to which their efforts are currently effective. (There is one fortunate aspect to this problem from the perspective of Funimation: In the case of fansub usage within foreign regions pertaining to titles for which they hold no international streaming licence, such activity needn't be of any concern to them. That is, of course, unless they choose to purchase streaming rights in said regions.)

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Again, there's no reason to buy FUNi's release. Rightstuf's copies have been sitting in the bargain bin forever: $9 for Dual Matrix (with Lunch Box and Figure!), $4 for Poly-Matrix Movie, $11.24 for the orginal OVAs.

Indeed. Even I have been able to locate favourable prices for the Geneon releases. Provided existing stocks don't deplete, I needn't fear being unable to obtain the title I have yet to purchase in the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CG-LOVER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
YEEESSSS!!!!! THANK YOU FUNIMATION!!!!

Finally, FINALLY they've gotten more of Hellsing Ultimate. Oh god you have no idea how long I've been waiting for this!

Oh yeah, and that Trigun film isn't a bad catch either! Very Happy

Oh man, I cannot wait for this stuff to be released!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Again, there's no reason to buy FUNi's release. Rightstuf's copies have been sitting in the bargain bin forever: $9 for Dual Matrix (with Lunch Box and Figure!), $4 for Poly-Matrix Movie, $11.24 for the orginal OVAs. I highly doubt that anything FUNi releases would be cheaper. So people go to buy FUNi's release, see the cheaper old Geneon releases, and buy those. I also doubt Armitage has enough fanbase left to even sell out the rest of those old Geneon DVDs either.
I got mine with it was Pioneer. Armitage III was considered the Blade Runner of anime in it's day, a definite must see. Wink
Everminde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Naturally the minute I shell out 70$ for Haibane Renmei does it get rescued. And here I had come to terms it'd never be in print again.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Shirachi-ko wrote:
Naturally the minute I shell out 70$ for Haibane Renmei does it get rescued. And here I had come to terms it'd never be in print again.

Haha, one of my friends is a huge Haibane Renmei fan, but only recently started buying anime. (He used to just rent from netflix). He found like, volumes one, two and four, iirc, at several different online sites, for varying prices in excess of $100 for the three, but couldn't find the other volume for sale anywhere. I'm sure this news will make him extremely happy.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:55 am Reply with quote
Shirachi-ko wrote:

I shelled out $75 for a Serial Experiments Lain boxset myself, but it was really nice-looking and completely new (friend bought it, never watched it, and I offered to buy it from him). But yes, being able to pick up Tenchi Muyo OVAs and Haibane Renmei for a reasonable price makes me happy (already have Texhnolyze and Tenchi Universe, not interested in the other rescues).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I shelled out $75 for a Serial Experiments Lain boxset myself

Lain was my first ever import and cost me £99.49 new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I know this is probably a weird thing to zero in on, but I'm a Chrono Crusade fangirl, so I will--it's pretty surprising to me that Funi's got the license for it now (along with the other ADV titles). I remember that after ADV lost a lot of their licenses one of the things they did following that was rerelease a few of their more popular series in Christmas editions, including Chrono Crusade. It seems like that was always one of their better selling series, so the fact that Section 23/whatever they are now didn't hold onto it is...funny. Not exactly surprising, just doesn't seem like a good sign for how the newer company is doing in general. (Of course, there's probably all sorts of crazy business stuff going on behind the scenes with that and I'm a bit poor at being able to understand that sort of thing well. So who really knows...)

The fact that Sentai has been able to open up and renew relationships with rights holders who had fall outs with ADV is probably more speaking of their current state than the fact that they chosen not to relicense many of the older ADV titles. Not to mention, the fact that they've been steadily licensing new shows and are producing more and more dubs.

The reason many of the older shows are being let go when they lapse is fairly simple. Most of the people at Sentai and Section 23 want to make a clean break from the old ADV. They may pick up or keep some older titles if the price is reasonable, but for the most part they would prefer to use the money to license and release new series.

With the available shelf space for anime shrinking everyday, the amount of return you can get from a license rescue is shrinking dramatically. A lot of them will be carried almost exclusively online, and a lot of people who would buy them online have already made a purchase of the title. The only big upside would be for Anime Network's VOD and online video service. But in the case of the VOD service, they would have to take time from newer series to air the older ones, as they only have so many hours per week.

Funi still has a 24 hour channel for now, and they stream titles just like Sentai, so they have a bit more room to exploit these licenses. For Sentai, they are probably farther ahead to continue licensing new shows, rather than pick at their predecessors corpse.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Ah, I get it. That makes sense--I assumed Sentai had most of the stuff ADV used to have, but if they didn't it makes sense why they wouldn't pick up Chrono Crusade again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4