• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Highschool of the Dead episodes 1-6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:37 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know when this DVD is coming out? It's not at RightStuf or Amazon yet, not even as "available soon".
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:40 am Reply with quote
I don't think they ever said anything about a release date yet, but considering they have to dub it, I'd say summer 2011, maybe spring if we're lucky.
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
I love this anime. I find it entertaining through and through. I've never read the manga but Hirano kicks ass. H.O.T.D might actually be the only zombie anime out there. =/ I'm probably wrong though.
Monumension

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
BEST ANIME EVAR!!!!!

Okay, not really, but for the time being it's definitely my favorite show, although it's lacking some of the intensity of the manga (this is common with most anime though). Seems to me there's been a surge of zombie related media over the last years, but movies like Zombieland and Romero's Land of the Dead + Diary of the Dead just haven't done anything for me. Personally I think this is the most enjoyable take on the zombie-outbreak scenario since Shaun of the Dead.

Speaking of which - it looked like Shaun himself showed up in a cameo in the third episode! Laughing
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
So...nobody's going to complain that episode 4 was half-recap? quite literally, half of the episode's footage and lines are rehashed from the previous 3. Did we really need a recap on the fourth episode?

Other than that, mindless fun at its best. That's what zombies are for. If I wanted broody lead characters and moral choices, I would've been the first to jump into the vampire bandwagon.

Watched Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Spaced all over again this week. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright work too well together. They managed to make a great zombie comedy because, like in the other two, they make use of overblown, Hollywood blockbuster clichés from their british perspective.
Robert Frazer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:34 am Reply with quote
One thing that I find most interesting about Highschool of the Dead is the way that it inverts a lot of the subtexts commonly associated with the Zombie Apocalypse genre - in this respect it's really quite original.

Most Zombie films tend to be lefty in their politics - Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead are well-known as railings against consumerism and military minds, and modern films like 28 Days Later also have parallels drawn to the stress and strain of modern life. In HotD, though, it's quite the opposite - the army is effective at controlling zombies, a right-wing ultranationalist group does provide safe and effective harbour (whereas 'normal people' undermine it), and the characters criticise anti-government radicals and protestors for their foolishness (a bit muted with some cut dialogue in the corrsponding anime episode 6, but the core of it was still there). Whether you agree with it or not, you have to admit that it's an interesting change of pace.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
Salsaman1991 wrote:
Watched Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Spaced all over again this week. Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright work too well together. They managed to make a great zombie comedy because, like in the other two, they make use of overblown, Hollywood blockbuster clichés from their british perspective.

What comes through most when watching Shaun and Fuzz is Pegg & co's absolute love for the genre. They are absolutely exploring and having fun with the conventions of zombie and buddy films, but it's always affectionate.

Anyway, I really cannot wait to grab this when it comes out on DVD. I grew up in Blighty watching all the classic Hammer Horror films with my dad (what's the US equivalent? Anyone?), so gore and fanservice go hand in hand.

Is this show (so far) intelligent? Nah. Fun, affectionate and engaging? Hell yes.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Does anyone know when this DVD is coming out? It's not at RightStuf or Amazon yet, not even as "available soon".

You do realize that this is still being broadcast in Japan, with episode 6 being last week's episode, right? Even the Japanese DVD release for these first few episodes won't be out for a month or two yet.

Concerning other comments made:

*I didn't pick up as much on the subversion of typical Zombie Apocalypse social commentary in my first watch-through, but I'll keep an eye out for that going forward. I'm not a big fan of the genre, so I when I did some research for this review I was a bit surprised to discover how much that is a typical comment of such movies.

*While I do, to a degree, agree with comments made earlier about how the whole zombie thing essentially allows people to kill other humans without remorse, in this series at least you do see most of the characters go through some stage of reluctance to act so aggressively towards the zombies at first, especially in the case where the lead must kill his best friend who's in the process of turning into a zombie. In fact, the only one here who doesn't struggle with that is the otaku, although Saeko (the swordswoman) is able to more quickly rationalize it than the others. Moral issues also show up in other places, such as the gas station scene in episode 4 (even though the guy had it coming, that was still pretty cold, and the lead character's internal dialogue did discuss how concerned he was that he was able to do that) and the police officer who must deal with the radical in episode 6.

*Yes, Shaun did make a cameo of sorts.

*I just completely forgot to say anything about the early recap in ep 4. That should have been listed as a negative. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
*I just completely forgot to say anything about the early recap in ep 4. That should have been listed as a negative. Razz

Yeah, came out of left field, that recap. I was all: "How didn't this not get mentioned in the review?!" Shocked Was the most evil kind of recap, too: the one that doesn't take up the whole episode, so you're kind of forced to sit through it.

Shichimi wrote:
Is this show (so far) intelligent? Nah. Fun, affectionate and engaging? Hell yes.

Yeah. Stop bashing HOTD guys, it's trying its best! Anime cry Razz
Caiobrz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I didn't realize having characters act out tired archetypes like 'tsundere girl' and 'fanservice nurse' constituted strong writing.

Come on, nowadays anything that is not 100% new and unpredictable is being labeled as archetypes and cliche. How long will people take to realize that you can't just come up with 6 billion different personalities and mindsets? If 10% the guys I know think and act somewhat on the same way as I do, do we make a archetype? are our lives miserably chiclé? I bet at least one girl on each classroom in the world have a Tsundere girl, and alas, any fanservice anime MUST have the fanservice nurse =p

While at that, characters personalities DO NOT account for strong writing, as that would be strong character development (which takes a little more then 2 episodes to actually develop). I do see strong writing here: The school concept, the way "Them" enter the school (I always wondered how zombies enter closed buildings so fast ... at least they cared to show here), and as already mentioned, each and every person will react to different levels of wounds. "Bejusus", you can have your finger bitten off and die of heart attack and be a zombie in 5 seconds, or you can be a though guy who can loose a whole leg and take 3 hours to die. Let's not try to bash negative points that do not exist.

Quote:
Seriously, this is the most overrated show of the season

Never knew this was overrated until I bumped in this post Rolling Eyes and BTW I started watching because I actually read BAD reviews but was still interested on the "Japanese anime version of the Zombie genre"

Quote:
bombarding us with enough fanservice to keep us distracted

Suffice to say my wife watched it, agree the fanservice is too much, laughed and MOVED ON asking for more. Only people with some prejudice will stop because of that. Some will stop because of the blood, some because it's in Japan, I don't know, whatever rocks your boat, but don't use it as a reason to judge the title. Divergence EVE had twice as big "boobs" while still had twice as good plot. I never cared about the fanservice, it's just a device - alas, pretty usual in anime, so yes, it makes all the sense in the world the "Anime version" of a zombie genre title would have at least SOME of it (still agreeing it's too much, but I wouldn't stop watching even if this was borderline hentai)

Quote:
Theron is just very kind guy

No, he's not, he just have his opinions, likes and dislikes. All people have that, including reviewers. This should cover what US, people who read their reviews, should keep in mind when we read a review, as well put:

Quote:
But yeah, I sort of expected Theron to be the one to review this. Lots of fanservice? He likes it. Lots of cliches? He forgives them. But if you've read enough of his reviews, I can sort of figure out if I'd like them or not. And that's the important aspect of any review, not if their opinion matches yours, but if you can figure out whether or not you want to see something.

Anyway ...

Quote:
A zombie-themed anime could have been something amazing, but they churned out a juvenile and cliched series instead

It's "Highschool of the Dead" not "Geriatric park of the Dead". It has highschoolers, and all highschoolers have their teen "juvenile" issues that are nothing but cliche. Just because anime like to focus on younger protagonists it does not make it cliche - if it does, so I call cliche how "grow up" people are in other themes?

I like the juvenile teen pretense here: they have to fight zombies while they are not even adults yet, they still don't know what to do with their lives, sort their feelings or know what friendship or love is all about (warning: 90% of animes have this, cliche? no, just trend/background), could you ask for more complex situation? Most movies deal with people loading weapons/bats and fighting their way thru zombies, but here they have to actually get their act together.

Ever pondered we have a good oportunity to actually see teen survivours grow because of the situation they are in? I don't want to draw parallels but that's the same as watching the first 10 minutes of "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" and stop watching because Chihiro is just too clichéd-boring-childish.

Quote:
Also, as a supernatural phenomenon, not all media treats zombies the same way. For example, in some media, chopping off a zombie's head will result in a headless zombie that will still somehow sense living flesh and mindlessly pursue it.

That's actually fun, I remember watching one where a chopped off HAND would still move and try to attack people LOL - BEWARE, THERE IS NO LIMITS TO ZOMBIE IMMORTALITY!

The reason you have to shoot at the head is so simple: dead or alive, it's STILL where most sensors (eyes, ears, nose, taste) AND nervous system is located. If they are dead and can't feel anything, only makes sense that the only way to permanently shut them down is to blow their heads off - thus, most zombie movies go by that regardless of "why" they became zombies in the first place.

Quote:
It seems like Theron and Carl write about 75% of the anime reviews on ANN though.

Which is good, because you can get to know how they think and feel and thus read between the lines if you will like or not something regardless if THEY like it or not, as already quoted from vashfanatic

Quote:
The fanservice in this was just over the top to the point of being idiotic.

Try Divergence Eve (btw.: it's good)

Quote:
Pretty much all that ever happened was the girls screamed and screamed and screamed and by the end of the second episode (when I dropped it) I just wished that they'd get turned into zombies too. If they did, it might actually improve their characters, seeing how hollow and flat they are.

You would screem like a baby if half your classmates dashed in zombie forms eating the other half of your classmates too. And as for how hollow and flat they are, read the anime title again: Highschool ... do you expect 14~16 year olds to be valiant balanced personalities?

The nerd-genious girl acts as a straigt-A student pompously because that's how she's been all her (little) life, and thus far in school life that actually counted for something. Now it doesn't, and takes up to the second episode for her to realize she NEEDS those "retards" (baka) she despises so much to actually get living, and her brains are not going to blow up the head of the next Zombie. She learned to value the otaku she once belittled. I DO CALL THAT CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.

Quote:
Not to mention, it feels like barely anything happened in the span of 6 episodes.

Does anything happens, other then run-die-kill more zombies in ANY zombie movie? I would be VERY surprised if anything other than that happened in just 6 episodes.

Quote:
I'm glad to see at least a few people agree with me. This show did not deserve an A.

But it does not deserve a bashing either - it's Japanese Zombies! yay!

Quote:
"The kids are forced to drive without a license, use guns, act strongly as individuals, rely on themselves instead of authority figures or the government and steal things to survive. It doesn't seem that bad until you remember that this story takes place in Japan."

QFT! Note how different it is to Takashi to actually get the gun . If it was an american zombie movie, he would probably have one in his school locker, and "gun otaku" would not even make much sense =p

And again another GFT:
Quote:
Zombie movies represent gore and that is fan services to the folks that love gore.

THAT'S the point of this anime and THAT's what we all must understand, this one is a zombie title - in ANIME form - that takes place in JAPAN. I couldn't care less that it does not bring anything new to the genre, because it's existence alone already brings! I was expecting the teenagers, the juvenile dilemmas and the ecchi, that's anime alright, it would sound SO WRONG to make an Zombie anime that actually took place in - say - USA and was all serious on not having whining teens and teenagers, and everybody carried a gun ... already watched that you know Wink

Quote:
Zombieland was a better zombie comedy

Yeap! watching a zombie genre for real has no appeal whatsoever. What is cool is usually the satire or comedy in it. This time, we have "school rumble" meets "bible black" in a zombie world. If you still can't see the marvel of HOTD than I quit.

Bottomline: When watching a zombie flick, either Anime or not, THINK LIKE A ZOMBIE Rolling Eyes [/quote]

Last edited by Caiobrz on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:50 am Reply with quote
So basically

If you like mindless fanservice and violence with paper thin characters and terrible writing you'll love HOTD, I know I did. I give it a 9/10
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah more or less that is the gist of it.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
The fanservice in this was just over the top to the point of being idiotic. It looks like the kind of show that people who hate anime seem to assume that all anime is like.

I showed this to 3 people who were not huge anime fans, and you know what? the first thing out of there mouth was "the fanservice is just excessive", but you know what else, THEY GOT OVER IT and got back into anime again through HSOD, if you can't get over such a minuscule thing and respect what else is in the anime, then don't watch anime, because its everywhere

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe those unfamiliar just had unnecessarily high expectations, but those who did read it knew full well what it was and were happy about an anime adaptation. Or maybe that's just me.

Exactly, shot for shot not only is this a great adaptation, but actually seeing zombies in anime form was awesome enough in itself, people act like this had "so much potential?" Really? because statements like that mean you have absolutely no idea what manga this came from or what you're talking about, its done even better then I thought it could

and pretty much everything else Caiobrz said, HSOD is doing good and getting on top anime lists because it is that good, if you don't like it good for you go tell someone who cares,
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Caiobrz wrote:

Come on, nowadays anything that is not 100% new and unpredictable is being labeled as archetypes and cliche. How long will people take to realize that you can't just come up with 6 billion different personalities and mindsets? If 10% the guys I know think and act somewhat on the same way as I do, do we make a archetype? are our lives miserably chiclé? I bet at least one girl on each classroom in the world have a Tsundere girl, and alas, any fanservice anime MUST have the fanservice nurse =p

I suggest you broaden your standards before you start spouting crap, you're essentially stating that there's no room for originality in these stages but HOTD gets a pass and it's apparently well written enough to delve in these generic archetypes?
Caiobrz wrote:

While at that, characters personalities DO NOT account for strong writing, as that would be strong character development (which takes a little more then 2 episodes to actually develop).

Oh I'm sorry, last time I check the characters contribute to the writing of the show and depending on how well written they are will depend how the writing of the show goes and so far I wouldn't label any of the characters as such, in fact they're pretty stupid.

Caiobrz wrote:

I do see strong writing here: The school concept, the way "Them" enter the school (I always wondered how zombies enter closed buildings so fast ... at least they cared to show here), and as already mentioned, each and every person will react to different levels of wounds. "Bejusus", you can have your finger bitten off and die of heart attack and be a zombie in 5 seconds, or you can be a though guy who can loose a whole leg and take 3 hours to die. Let's not try to bash negative points that do not exist.

This is hilarious right here, you've yet to describe the so called "strong writing" in the show but goes on to describe nonsensical aspects that doesn't contribute to the writing but I digest, here's an example;
Apparently it's established in episode 2 that the zombies react to sound, the group uses this to escape in the third episode and the irony is that a mere sound of a steel staff hitting the stairs sets the entire zombies to where they're at, now in episode 6 a women WHO IS SCREAMING HER HEART AT IN A CROWD OF ZOMBIES NEAR HER, all walk pass her. Heh I guess she wasn't loud enough, considering in the latest episode a character screams and all the zombies flock to her location

Caiobrz wrote:

Never knew this was overrated until I bumped in this post Rolling Eyes and BTW I started watching because I actually read BAD reviews but was still interested on the "Japanese anime version of the Zombie genre"

I think you just gave the main reason why it's overrated Rolling Eyes

A fanservce show that uses blood and violence as a gimmick, GEE WHERE HAVE I SEEN THAT BEFORE? But wait there's zombies involved, see this is truly a new set in the genre

Caiobrz wrote:

Suffice to say my wife watched it, agree the fanservice is too much, laughed and MOVED ON asking for more. Only people with some prejudice will stop because of that.

You are truly deluded if you believe the people behind this show don't know the intended audience is, in fact the mangaka actually wanted them to "sex up" a few scenes in the anime as seen in episode 6
Caiobrz wrote:

Some will stop because of the blood, some because it's in Japan, I don't know, whatever rocks your boat, but don't use it as a reason to judge the title. Divergence EVE had twice as big "boobs" while still had twice as good plot. I never cared about the fanservice, it's just a device - alas, pretty usual in anime, so yes, it makes all the sense in the world the "Anime version" of a zombie genre title would have at least SOME of it (still agreeing it's too much, but I wouldn't stop watching even if this was borderline hentai)

I stopped reading at the mention of you believing that Divergence Eve had a good plot, which I'll expand upon later

Caiobrz wrote:

No, he's not, he just have his opinions, likes and dislikes. All people have that, including reviewers. This should cover what US, people who read their reviews, should keep in mind when we read a review, as well put:

So he should act like a raving fanboy and look past the apparent flaws of the show because he's a nerd for zombies, infact that's Theron's reviews in a nutshell

I thought Catwomen was a enetertaining movie so I give it a 5/5

Truly inspiring
Caiobrz wrote:

But yeah, I sort of expected Theron to be the one to review this. Lots of fanservice? He likes it. Lots of cliches? He forgives them. But if you've read enough of his reviews, I can sort of figure out if I'd like them or not. And that's the important aspect of any review, not if their opinion matches yours, but if you can figure out whether or not you want to see something.

But it;s pointless if it offers no critique, not throughtout the review did I see anything until the end when he did a last minute squeeze when he was flaccid after jerking off to this anime Rolling Eyes

Caiobrz wrote:

It's "Highschool of the Dead" not "Geriatric park of the Dead". It has highschoolers, and all highschoolers have their teen "juvenile" issues that are nothing but cliche. Just because anime like to focus on younger protagonists it does not make it cliche - if it does, so I call cliche how "grow up" people are in other themes?

So what in that makes it good? The irony in this is that ANN tends to look down on anime like this but apparently there's an exception when it comes to this because of zombies? Yeah, remove the zombie factor this seriously and all you have is a poorly written smorgasbord of paper thin characters and a setting that's only used to disguise this from being straight up porn

Caiobrz wrote:

Ever pondered we have a good oportunity to actually see teen survivours grow because of the situation they are in? I don't want to draw parallels but that's the same as watching the first 10 minutes of "Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi" and stop watching because Chihiro is just too clichéd-boring-childish.

But you praise HOTD for having zombies despite the fact that it's also cliched-boring-childish. Talk about a double standard

Caiobrz wrote:

Try Divergence Eve (btw.: it's good)

DE is a perfect example of this, there was a plot but the writing wasn't the focus of it nor was it it's prime benefactory, it was the fanservice and it was tacked on to the point where the show couldn't be taken seriously despite the concepts it dealt with because every second a female character moved there was a jiggle involve and it made the show almost laughable
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:

I showed this to 3 people who were not huge anime fans, and you know what? the first thing out of there mouth was "the fanservice is just excessive", but you know what else, THEY GOT OVER IT and got back into anime again through HSOD, if you can't get over such a minuscule thing and respect what else is in the anime, then don't watch anime, because its everywhere

Except the fact that it isn't, the fabservice is pratically the selling point of the series with zombies put in as a gimmick, if you couldn't see this when the camera panned on the heroines panties for two minutes while she was fighting off a zombie which lasted a second Rolling Eyes

And what other aspects does this anime have exactly? The animation is decent but not great, the characters are one-dimensional and not interesting and the story is on a turn for nowhere. So basically it's boobs or zombies, take your pick

Caiobrz wrote:

Exactly, shot for shot not only is this a great adaptation, but actually seeing zombies in anime form was awesome enough in itself, people act like this had "so much potential?" Really? because statements like that mean you have absolutely no idea what manga this came from or what you're talking about, its done even better then I thought it could

CG filtered zombies are not "awesome" especially if they're barely animated in itself no pun intended, also it seems the general attitude to people who have read the manga is that, yes it's bad but atleast it's animated, so why are you jumping on people criticizing it?
Caiobrz wrote:

and pretty much everything else Caiobrz said, HSOD is doing good and getting on top anime lists because it is that good, if you don't like it good for you go tell someone who cares,

I know you just not used the "it's popular so it's good" argument, because you pretty much lost your credibility here
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6